Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Default Daytime Running Lights

I have just bought a 2007 A3 S-line 3.2 L Quatro a week ago and have already put over 2200 miles on it

I have had the dealer in the US program daytime running lights for import into Canada and the main headlights are the running lights. Is this normal? I had expected it to be the lower fog lights.

Thanks

Old 05-26-2008, 09:57 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Daytime Running Lights

Our northern friends will know, but that was how they were originally setup on some GM cars here in the US.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:44 PM

On my old Jetta and on the fiancées new rabbit the main headlights are the daytime running lights. I have only seen the foglights as daytime running lights on a couple older GM models.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

I am a northern friend, one of those guys that pays too many taxes and pays $10k more for a German car. I have ordered an A3, so of course I look for them on the road.....not many. But I saw one last week with the foglights illuminated, not the headlights. Looked very cool. I have also asked my dealer which lights are used for the daytime running lights. I will let you know.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

I am also a Northen friend who paid 40k for a 2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSGS-Line, Open Sky with titanium package and my running day lights are the fog lights only. That's how it came from the factory.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

I don't know if this is an option....

but on my car which is Euro-spec...I can manually turn on DRL. The illumination comes from a very small light that is located in the high beam housing.

in my opinion...only the new Audi LED DRLs and the BMW Angel Eyes look great as DRL. But safety first???

Old 05-27-2008, 12:47 AM
1st Gear

The fog lights can be set up as Daytime Running Lights using VAG-COM. I enabled the headlights first, then switched the DRL function to the fogs. It may even be possible to adjust the DRL brightness through VAG-COM.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 AM
1st Gear

Could you post your VAGCOM HEX lighting string (the long one) so I can get it right? I played with these settings and couldn't seem to get it the way I wanted it.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: mattrazzo

Could you post your VAGCOM HEX lighting string (the long one) so I can get it right? I played with these settings and couldn't seem to get it the way I wanted it.
Here's the instructions I followed:

1.Click on'09 - Central Electric'
2. 07 - long coding and click on 'Yes' for long coding
3. Click on Long Coding Helper
4. Write down your long coding
5. Go to byte 0, make sure that bit 0 (front fogs installed) and bit 4 (DRL North America) are marked
6. Go to byte 17 and mark bit 4 (DRL with dimmed low beam)
7. Click on 'Transfer Coding'
8. Quit out of the Long Coding Helper
9. Click on 'Do it!'
10. Verify that the new Long Code is stored
11.Click 'Done, Go Back'
12. Click 'Close controller, Go Back'

The thread that provided those instructions also said something about the DRL's only coming on when the handbrake was Off, but that isn't true for me - handbrake position doesn't matter. But the fogs as DRLturn off when the headlights are on, although they can still be turned on normally.

Here's my long codingafter the above change. CAUTION - THERE ARE CODING VARIATIONS BETWEEN INDIVIDUAL CARS. Be sure to write down your long coding before making any changes.

F1 8C 5F 80 C0 14 10 00 00 18 18 00 18 00 00 00 00 38 (was 28 before the change) FE 17 5C 11 00

Note I had previously enabled the headlights as DRL using OOOO-A3's blog instructions (great instructions there!), which changed the first byte from "E1" to "F1" (North American style DRLs). I might try switching to Scandinavian style DRLs instead to see what that does - maybe the handbrake activation?

Hope that helps.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Default 2008 Audi A3 Day Time Running Lights

I just imported a 2008 Audi A3 2.0T from the US into Canada and needed to get the Day Time Running Lights working to pass inspections. Does anyone know how to do this? If there is an easy way to do it yourself? Helpful hints? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights