Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

DEALER INCOMPETENCE

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:32 AM
1st Gear
Default DEALER INCOMPETENCE

I took my 2007 A3 to the dealer Wednesday for it's 15000 mile maintenance. yesterday evening (Thursday), I noticed a puddle of oil underneath the engine as I backed it out. I didn't have time to check everything out so I switched cars and took my Acura for the evening. This morning, I checked the oil level and absolutely no oil was showing. They just put her on the tow truck to go back to the dealer. What should I ask the dealer for to protect me in case some damage was done?

Old 02-29-2008, 10:11 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: DEALER INCOMPETENCE

Speak to the Dealership Manager, not the service Manager. Take pics of what happened.

Where abouts are you located...?

Old 02-29-2008, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

I'm in Charlotte, NC. Got the pictures.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

If the oil light didin't come on when you drove it hom ethen you should be fine. I'm not sure what you can get them to do for a guarantee though. What did they forget to tighten? Was there oil all over the bottom of your car?

Old 02-29-2008, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

I don't know about the bottom of the car, but the asphalt was covered this morning. The car is still at the dealer and I haven't heard from them. I'm wanting them to call first. Also, didn't notice the oil light on.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Guru

are you 100% possitive it wasn't just some lazy tech who let oil get on your under belly pan?

hopefully that is the case, but i would never let someone change my oil....... well once or twice, but i was getting over and it was f'ing cold out

Old 02-29-2008, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

If something bad is gonna happen because of that it will prolly happen when the cars under warrenty.
so you should be fine.

I doubt it would work but ask the dealer for a deal or free extended warrenty.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

are you 100% possitive it wasn't just some lazy tech who let oil get on your under belly pan?

hopefully that is the case, but i would never let someone change my oil....... well once or twice, but i was getting over and it was f'ing cold out
The dipstick was dry.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

If there was oil on the ground then they must have put oil in it. How much oil was on the groung? A drop? A puddle? They might not have tightened the oil filter enough and it just ran out from there. If they didn't tighten the drain plug then it would have been missing. My ex had her oil changed (in her 2002 Passatt) at a "full" service car spa and they didn't tighten the drain plug and it came out when she was 3 hours into a trip. She heard it fall off and rattle around under the car and she said the on-board computer almost immediately told her to pull over and shut off the car. It was towed to a VW dealership in Atlanta and they checked it out to make sure there was no damage to the engine. She had to go through a big ordeal to get the oil change place to pay for everything, but eventually they did. No real point to my story other than it sounds like you went through something less destructive to your vehicle so you should be fine.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

Got a call back from the dealer. Said the filter "O" ring was defective, had a twist in it, and the oil came out from there. Approximately a quart according to them. I questioned the dry dipstick and only one quart of oil missing, and they said that all it takes to clear the dipstick is a quart. Also told them that all mechanics should be taught to ensure there are no leaks after making fluid changes. I change the filter and oil on my boat and I always run the engine a few minutes to make sure I have no leaks.

So I guess if only one quart was lost, I'm probably OK with the engine. Any more thoughts?

Quick Reply: DEALER INCOMPETENCE