Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

deep scratch/scrape, need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 06:09 PM
1st Gear
Default deep scratch/scrape, need help

Anybody recommend a type of touch up paint, or some kind of buffing or wax that will make this disappear?

[IMG]local://upfiles/24027/6373FE634A994D94A66A497A17C84B69.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24027/417A788AA0E846F686D9329DAFE6B442.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-11-2007, 03:18 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: deep scratch/scrape, need help

Is there a dent in the metal as well, or is that just the picture?

Old 11-11-2007, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

Nah, no dent at all, its just a line, an engraved etched line into the paint.

I took those pics at night, thats my flash on my camera, so it may appear to look like a dent, but its just the flash.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

That looks to be down to the metal so no ammount of polishing/ buffing will fix it

what you need to do is find as good a match of touch up paint as you can and fill in the scratch with a really fine paint brush , let it harden for a day or so and the polish it back with a cutting polish such as T Cut.... you will need to repeat this process 3 or 4 times depending on the depth of the scratch

hope this helps

Old 11-11-2007, 07:02 PM
2nd Gear

Find some touch up paint online or at a local autostore and remember to get some clear coat as well. I did touch-up on my suburban and it turned out shitty and was forced to take it of with come compound. Don't rush the process and try to do it as clean as you can. I would maybe only to part of it before the entire thing to check for a match and to get used to using the paint... or try it on a smaller scratch some where else on the car. I wonder if Audi sells some form of touch-up paint?

Old 11-11-2007, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

Audi sells touch up and clearcoat, but it's in those crappy pens - difficult to use for fine work. If it's too deep to polish out with Scratch x or similar product,, do as Markyboy says

Old 11-11-2007, 09:26 PM

Maybe you shouldn't drive off with the gas nozzle still attached anymore??? LOL

Good luck with that one. I've never had luck using touch up paint from the dealer on other cars. Maybe if you took your time and buffed it out well between very light coats?

Cheers!

Old 11-11-2007, 10:46 PM
2nd Gear

Your best match will come from Audi's touch up paint. The pens arn't too bad but you might be able to find some spray, which will turn out the cleanest but require the most prep.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

Call me either vain or unskilled, but with anything that deep I'd just assume pay to let a pro fix it.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

Maybe you shouldn't drive off with the gas nozzle still attached anymore??? LOL

Good luck with that one. I've never had luck using touch up paint from the dealer on other cars. Maybe if you took your time and buffed it out well between very light coats?

Cheers!
The gas nozzle incident you remember! HAHA. It wasnt me who had the nozzle still attached, it was the woman!

Thanks for all your pointers guys. I checked out a website that has the exact paint to the model of the vehicle. www.paintscratch.com. I may just order from there. But like mentioned in here, its not that easy to do it yourself, and make it look like no scratch was ever present.

I wonder how much an auto body shop would charge to repair that deep of a scratch. If its a couple hundred dollars, I may just let them do it. I dont know.

It just irks me because I try so hard to keep my A3 in tip top shape, exterior and interior. It's always in the garage when im not driving it and I wash/wax when I can, and never take took it to a car wash. And now some idiot, no idea who. maybe gas attendant?, maybe when it was on the flat bed to the dealer?.

Quick Reply: deep scratch/scrape, need help