Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Donuts, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 09:56 AM
L7
1st Gear
Default Donuts, Anyone?

This has been my one really sore point with my A3.
The fact that it does not have a full sized spare tire. But, from looking at the spare tire compartment - it almost looks like you could fit a full sized spare into it. Has anyone thrown out their 'donut' and stuck a full sized spare tire into the compartment? Or does anyone know for sure whether one would fit, and the rear cargo area still sit flush. I have tried inquiring with the service manager at the dealership - but, he does know of anyone who has switched out their donut.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Donuts, Anyone?

Hi L7-

Excellent topic. I wouldn't mind having a full-size spare for when one is hundreds of miles from home. The next time I'm at the dealership I'll see if they have a spare 18" wheel to toss in the back...if that bigger/wider wheel will fit, the 17" model will be golden.

~ Blue Jays ~

Old 03-25-2007, 11:31 PM
2nd Gear

17" oem will fit flush. If you want to test it yourself, it should take no longer than 15 minutes. Besides, it'll get you familar with the tire changing tools

Old 03-26-2007, 05:07 AM
SoCal Crew Member

i'd rather have the donut........ full tire = extra weight = wasted gas

Old 03-26-2007, 05:42 AM

Full size wheels fit in A4's.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:35 AM
L7
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Audinam

i'd rather have the donut........ full tire = extra weight = wasted gas
Audinam;
Is the weight difference really that big? I have never physically done the comparison between my current donut's weight and an actual fullsized tire and 17" wheel. My main concern is - having a flat and being a hundred miles from home or a place that would be able to replace/fix that tire.I've always figured that the weight difference was marginal. Probably about the same difference as having a quarter tank of gas as opposed to a full tank.
A3Night;
I just realized what you are saying. I never thought to actually use one of my existing wheels - though I have practiced taking off and changing a tire - just to make sure all the tools were there. That's when I actually discovered the donut last year.
Now - the next step is finding a moderately priced wheel and non-directional tire.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: L7

Now - the next step is finding a moderately priced wheel and non-directional tire.
Check out the Hartmann Wheel collection. OEM replica wheels (italian made, not the pourous/cheaper chinese version) at a very affordable price. Tire packages are also available.

And unless the A3 is going to be your regular tracking event vehicle, I doubt the weight difference between a full sized spare vs. a donut is worth the worry about adding that weight.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:21 AM
SoCal Crew Member

Weight matters to Nam, he's very skinny.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

So... did anyone try fitting a full size in the donut hole??

Old 04-07-2007, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

I'll let you know. I've had to put the skinny on today [:@]Nail right through the sidewall [:@]

Mine are the 225/40 R18s, I didn't try to fit it in the well but then I remembered this thread. I doubt it will go in though because IIRC the well isn't as deep on the Quattro. All the extra gubbins underneath.

Quick Reply: Donuts, Anyone?