Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Drive shaft, inner CV problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 05:26 AM
1st Gear
Default Drive shaft, inner CV problems

Hi Everyone,

I recently did a clutch change on my 1.6, 97, A3 and noticed at the same time that the transmission mount was very loose, upon further inspection it was clear that the threads had gone on one of the stretch bolt fixings to the engine mount, I did have quite a crash with a hedge some time back and am putting it down to that. After ordering a replacement mount and securing it to the gearbox I had some vibration through the steering wheel, when turning right.
I put it down to tracking Doh! Last week the inner CV on the passanger side went, gutted! I also think that this may have been caused by my accident.
So, off I went to the breakers yard and replaced it with another drive shaft, straight after that the tracking was done and the steering felt a whole lot better but still had a very small amount of vibration during a right turn. However, last night just a few hundred yards from home the chuffing thing broke again! on the same side, on the same inner CV joint, I was not a happy bunny.
So, my question is could it be the engine mount not being correctly alligned that is the cause of this or could it just be plain bad luck that I bought a secondhand driveshaft with exactly the same problem?
Any help would be appreciated,
PS I'm ordering a brand new driveshaft next time!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

Hello again,
Just a short update to my problem. New inner CV ordered, fitted and working fine.No vibration, noise or shakes while driving, no matter what direction I turn.
The lesson learned here is buy new whenever possible!
Kind regards the Big man