Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

ECS Dog bone impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:20 AM
1st Gear
Default ECS Dog bone impressions

Hey all - I just installed the ECS dog bone insert and I thought I'd share some impressions... First, their manual states that inserting the bushing will require "some effort." In the history of understatements, this may be the greatest one. This thing is a bear to get in! After struggling for way too long, I took the advice of another poster here and used a jack to push it in. I cannot imagine how it could be completely seated by hand. Other than that, the install is a no-brainer.

Based on previous posts, I had prepared myself for a lot of cabin vibration at idle. I was pleasantly surprised when I started it up, and didn't feel any difference at all. And then the A/C kicked on.... definitely a noticable vibration throughout the cabin. I have read that this may dissipate over time - hope so. The shifting seems to have lost a bit of slop. The gears seem to engage cleaner, but it could be my imagination or wishful thinking. It has only been a day, so I may notice more as I go. Overall, it seems like a good mod for the price and (relative) simplicity of the install.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Default RE: ECS Dog bone impressions

If you're concerned with vibration throughout the cabin, then definitely don't install the VF Engine mounts. My car feels like my old TDI now. Definitely sacrificing luxury for performance.

Cheers!

Old 08-18-2007, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: lavadrifter
definitely a noticable vibration throughout the cabin.... The shifting seems to have lost a bit of slop. The gears seem to engage cleaner, but it could be my imagination or wishful thinking.
yet somehow you conclude... "Overall, it seems like a good mod for the price"

I dunno, it may be just the way you wrote your review but I'm not about to run out and get one.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

yet somehow you conclude... "Overall, it seems like a good mod for the price"
I see your point d2mini. I can see how in my review it may appear that the negatives outweigh the positives. As far as the vibration, I had accepted that as a bi-product of the mod going in - so while it's a drag, it is a sacrifice for performance. Because I haven't driven it very long with the mod, I can't be certain enough of the benefits to post them as fact (hence the imagination stuff). I think that the positives will become evident as I do a little more driving with it installed. I'll be sure to add a more definitive post after I've pushed it a bit. I would hate to discourage anyone from getting a mod because of my poor reviewing!!!

Old 08-18-2007, 12:51 PM

Personally, I didn't notice any vibration from the ECS DB. I still notice some slop between shifts, but noticeable improvement over stock. I'm sure that the VF tranny mount would fix the rest of the slop, but that might transmit more of the tranny virbrations too, and I have my fill already.

Cheers!

Old 08-18-2007, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

Lava, keep us updated.
I was just chuckling because I expected a positive review but yours seemed ho-hum.
Just thought it was kinda funny.