Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Electric window failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 02:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Electric window failure

Hi
I've got 2002 A3 1.9 TDi 130BHP(so they say). A week ago my front drivers side window failed to work. Not the much-mentioned problem of the window dropping and not coming up. Last time I used it would up automatically - since there is just a clicking noise but no movement whatsoever. Strangely, and somehow related, passenger front window stopped working two days ago. Went up fine on Friday night, but Saturday morning, just that dreaded clicking noise. Just to complicate matters, this afternoon, I was fiddling with the control button for passenger window from the drivers side, and it started working again fine.
Wondering if it could just be a short in the drivers door. Not sure if that is a good thing or not compared to other possible faults.
Any advice much appreciated.

cheers

Old 11-25-2007, 10:20 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Electric window failure

Mine just stopped working one day and started up again the next day, my tuner shop told me audi's some, have that problem when the glass just dros down and doesn't come back up....? sounds like you need to take it in for service.
The tech did tell me if it happens again not to use it till service checks it out, because you stand the chance of loosing the glass in the door.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:41 AM
1st Gear

I've read a lot about the glass dropping down - this is not what is happening with mine. Mine has stayed up last time I used it and now won't come down! (Though passenger front did start working properly after brief inaction).

Old 11-27-2007, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE
--------
I've since had brake switch failure, possibly due to brake light bulb dying a few days ago.

Could these events be related?

Old 11-28-2007, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

I had the reverse switch replaced on an old A3 that was shorting out the speedometer/odometer. So it is possible thatthe brake switch may affect something else.

The clicking noise, could that the a faulty relay...?

Old 11-28-2007, 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: tops36

UPDATE
--------
I've since had brake switch failure, possibly due to brake light bulb dying a few days ago.

Could these events be related?
doubtfull lol

Adapting and erasing force-resistance characteristic for window lifter motor
Note[/align]

t
The steps listed below have to be carried out after installing a replacement part.

t
Perform the steps described quickly, without any delays.

t
If work is interrupted for longer than 10seconds the adaption mode is cancelled.

Requirements

l
All trims and seals must be properly installed.

l
Door and window lifter must be adjusted.

l
Door must be fully assembled.

Adapting the force-resistance characteristic

–
Close door and switch on ignition.

–
Raise door window up to limit stop.

–
Release window lifter switch.

–
Pull window lifter switch up once again and hold in this position for longer than 1second.

–
Now press window lifter switch to lower door window down to limit stop in one movement.

–
Raise door window up to limit stop in one movement.

–

–
Pull window lifter switch up once again and hold in this position for longer than 1second.

–
This completes the adaption of the characteristic curve for the window lifter.

–
Activate the automatic open/close function.

Erasing the force-resistance characteristic
Note[/align]

t
This procedure is necessary if the force-resistance characteristic curve proves to be too sensitive (e.g. after renewing the seal).

t
This means the door window reverses (moves back) without any reason when closing.

Important: The procedure described in the following must be performed 3 times in a row within one minute.

l
Door is closed and ignition is switched on.

–
Open the door window and hold a wooden block or similar object (approx. 8...10cmhigh) between door window and upper limit stop.

–
Close the door window with switch pulled upwards.

l
The door window stops at the trapped object, the roll-back function is activated and the door window moves downwards slightly.

–
Close the door window a second time with switch pulled upwards.

l
The door window stops at the trapped object again, the roll-back function is activated once more and the door window moves downwards slightly.

–
Close the door window a third time with switch pulled upwards.

l
Now the automatic reverse function is deactivated and the window stops at the wooden block.

–
Once the window lifter switch is released the door window will move downwards after approx. 0.5 seconds.

–
Close the door window a fourth time with switch pulled upwards.

l
The window will stop at the wooden block and not move downwards after releasing the window lifter switch.

–
Open the door window by pressing the window lifter switch.

–

–
Press the window lifter switch downwards for at least 1second.

–
Close the door window completely (now without wooden block).

–

–
Now pull the window lifter switch upwards for at least 1second.

Important: The steps described above must be repeated twice.

–
Then you must adapt the force-resistance characteristic curve again

Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM

mind you that is for the TT coupe ( cough cough another post[:-])but most problems like that are down to lubrication

Old 11-28-2007, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

Is this in response to my post? My window does not move at all ... I've clicked and held and released .. and nothing. Just a click internally on initiallu up or down on switch.
I've yet to remove door face to investigate internal operation. I had read somewhere it could be a faulty wire in connection between door and chassis covered by rubber shielding.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Dave

Are you saying it is likely the window lifter motor has gone in the drivers door? And passenger window may be about to go? (since it failed briefly the previous week but not since).

Is this something a novice can tackle or better just to pay out and get it done by those in the know?

Thanks very much

Tony

Old 04-07-2014, 04:29 PM
1st Gear
Default windows won't roll down/tail light error

My 2009 Audi A3 shows a tail light warning but the only light that is not working is the drivers side mirror blinker. The passenger side blinker blinks fast although was flashing normal when I could't hear the blinkers. I could not hear my blinkers until I pushed on the drivers side side mirror. I shut the car off and then back on. Once again can't hear the blinkers. None of the windows will go down using the driver side switches. The rear drivers side window will not roll down using its switch either. Passenger windows work using their door switches but not the drivers side switch. So in response, I believe the tail light and the window problem could be related to your issue. This however is coming from a female that knows nothing about cars and was trying to see if anyone else was having my same issue.

Quick Reply: Electric window failure