Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Engine Management Light Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine Management Light Flashing

Could anyone tell me if they have had the same problem as me and if so how they over came it.

Brought my car just before Christmas, Audi A3 2.0 Litre FSI SE Sept 03 plate. As soon as I got it the Engine managment light was flashing and the car was juddering, so took it back to the garage and they said it was just a glitch. Then I had to take the car back to get the wiper washer fixed and the engine management light came on again! but once again they couldn't find a problem... just a glitch I was told. So this morning started the car and the engine management light was flashing and the car was juddering all over the place and it wouldn't drive properly, so phoned the garage and they collected the car and towed it away. Have just had a call off them and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it!! They are now going to run it around a little to see if it happens again.

Have you had the same problem? It something Audi's do? Please let me know!

Thanks

Old 02-12-2007, 04:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Engine Management Light Flashing

I'd would take the car back to your dealer and ask them to put it onto the computer to check for fault codes - this is usually what triggers the lights, a fault code being fired (which you have done). So if they say theres nothing wrong - they are either not telling the whole story, or your the memory that stores your fault codes is not working properly. If the car judders - clearly there is something wrong.

If you get the fault codes, post them on here, someone may be able to help.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

Ok, thanks for that, i'll phone them in the morning and get them to give methe fault codes. Will the fault codes only show if the engine management light is on? All i'm thinking is, that by the sound of things the light has gone off now. Personally I believe they aren't telling me the whole story and they don't really know what they are doing.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:06 AM

I was told if it flashes it's a serious problem and the car shouldn't be driven. Something to do with emissions and engine damage.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

Well I have spoken to the garage (Available Car) this morning and they have tested the car some more and still they can't find any problems, just a glitch! So I said to him "Did any fault codes show up?" Yes was the reply but the wiped them and ran the car again to see if they'd come back but they haven't come back. I asked him for the codes but they didn't have a record of them! So i'm going to pick the car up again soon and see what happens! I even phoned the local Audi garage and they said they think something is wrong somewhere. The guy at Avaiable Car did say that the error codes where something to do with miss firing? but he couldn't tell me anymore. I seem to going round in cricles here, I get the engine managenment light, take it back, they wipe it and then a week later it happens again! I'm almost tempted to take it to an Audi garage next time but its still under Available Cars warranty so why should I pay?

Old 02-13-2007, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

Does this happen all the time, or only on cold starts?

Old 02-13-2007, 04:11 PM

any CEL light will record a code which stays in the ECU memory as a soft code error ( who the hell is checking your car out ) and do they have the proper diagnostictools?? data logging is also used by the professionals

Old 02-13-2007, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't say cold starts, Yesterday I drove to the supermarket which its about 5 minutes away then left the car for about 3 minutes got in the car and when I started it, it went all funny the traction control was flashing and then the engine management light came on and started flashing. The car shuck and juddered when it was stationary. I spoken to the guy at Available Car when I picked it up today and he said that the first thing they do is reset the computer so the warnings have gone and run the car to see if the problem comes back and this is where the problem is, it isn't coming back straight away it takes its time after a few miles. He said it could be crap in the fuel running it down to low, a voltage causing a sensor to sense a reading. So now i'm waiting till next time it happens. Is there anyway I could check a few things myself to check the car is ok?

Old 02-13-2007, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

I got the car from Available Car and they are the ones who are checking it. I would really like to take it to the Audi garage but like I said why should I pay when its still under waranty. Thing its a15 mile drive to Available Car where I live so its no a case of just popping down there to take the car in. Yesterday they had the nerve to ask me to get my RAC to transport the car to them! and when I was able to collect the car today I had to arrange for someone to take me there!

Old 02-13-2007, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

how can they say nothing is wrong?? this is the second time it's happened and you took it back, yet they delete the fault codes again!! whats gonna stop them deleting it a third/fourth/fifth time? I would go to an audi main dealer, they usually charge around £90 for fault detection. you can then take it back to Available Car and give them the codes and reccomendations that audi give you.

Quick Reply: Engine Management Light Flashing