Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Default engine noise

Hello, just bought 1st audi--the A3 2.0T. Not too many bells and whisles but I love the car nonetheless. Altough the car rides great, I notice the engine is a little loud when the car is parked but still running. Is this normal?Does anyone else notice the same thing?

thanks

Old 03-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Default RE: engine noise

If the noise sounds like a rattle on the passanger side foot area, then it has something to do with your fuel line and some proper insulation. i took the car in for the 5K service and they agreed it was that and will order the part (under warranty). The engine is not super quite (especially when cold), but the car is TONS of fun

Old 03-22-2007, 07:15 PM

thank you. I agree with the fun part. just a little frustrated. I'll see what they say
thanks

Old 03-22-2007, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

Hi mark80csu-

If you could advise the group of the part number for that acoustic padding, that would be fantastic. Thanks!

~ Blue Jays ~

Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 PM

blue jays,
i think the p/n is 06A-141-730-1. the work other they gave me also has this TSB (???) reference # 2012395/1. i dont know if it's specifc to my car/job or is a common way to identify the rattling issue.

Marco

Old 03-23-2007, 01:40 AM
1st Gear

Hi mark80csu-

Excellent point about the Technical Service Bulletins you've made. I guess it is possible to get so enamored with the car and I know I forget to even think about these notifications. That would probably make for a great "sticky" at the top of the forum...just a simple hyperlink to all new Audi A3 TSBs. Thanks for the part and reference numbers!

~ Blue Jays ~

Old 03-23-2007, 02:16 AM

Is it a clicking sound?

Old 03-23-2007, 02:59 PM

more like a rattle "trrrrrtrrrrtrrr". especially when cold

Old 03-26-2007, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

Speaking of engine noise, I can't say that I hear the same thing that you do. I would describe the sound of my '07 A3 at idle with just 1,100 miles on it as a quiet diesel. I searched for a post from a month or two ago about this same topic, but couldn't find it. I think others have commented about the noise of the engine as normal.

However, if this noise is not normal,please tell me now so that I can start living in reality and get the thing checked out.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Spinner

Speaking of engine noise, I can't say that I hear the same thing that you do. I would describe the sound of my '07 A3 at idle with just 1,100 miles on it as a quiet diesel. I searched for a post from a month or two ago about this same topic, but couldn't find it. I think others have commented about the noise of the engine as normal.

However, if this noise is not normal,please tell me now so that I can start living in reality and get the thing checked out.
Sounding a bit like a diesel is really not so suprising(i've noticed it too). If you consider that the FSI technology is very similar to diesels in that it has very high pressure fuel injectors injecting directly into the cylinder, just like a diesel, only difference is that our engines are still spark ignition, instead of compression. That dieselish sound is likely justthe injectors firing. Any solonoid that can start and stop 10's of thousands of pounds of pressure of fuel has got to be pretty powerful and is likely to be noisy. Its the price we pay for the new technology i guess....or i could be totally wrong, but i like my answer.

Quick Reply: engine noise