Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Enhancing NAV+ POI database?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Enhancing NAV+ POI database?

One of the main weaknesses of the NAV+ system is the really, really poor POI database. When I had my handheld Garmin GPS, that tiny device with only a couple hundred MB of memory, had a much much better POI database than this $2k OEM unit. I had mostly given up and accepted this as a fact of life, but I recently started thinking... the NAV+ gets its POI info from the navigation DVD. Is there some way to dump the image of this DVD and access the POI DB and consequently enhance it? POI databases are available to purchase (I might even be able to cannibalize my files from my old Garmin DVDs), and depending on the format, it would theoretically be possible to replace/or merge the Audi database with another one, and then burn a new DVD. Anyone have any thoughts or heard of anything like this, or maybe would like to help?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:30 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Enhancing NAV+ POI database?

GREAT idea. I totally concur. My Garmin Nuvi is lightyears ahead of the in-dash NAV in many aspects. An updated POI would be great. If you find a solution, please do post it here! Maybe a way to make it touch screen as well? :-)

Old 10-18-2007, 01:40 PM

To tell you the truth, I've never seen a good POI list in any NAV. I also have a Garmin and I'm not impressed with the POI list. My biggest complaint is how unintuitive the whole interface of the NAV is. It make it so hard to save and edit a saved address. I had to delete a saved address because I accidentally pressed the Save current location button and I couldn't edit it. And forget about trying to use the NAV while your driving unless you want to get into an accident. I've only had the A3 for a month so I have a bit to learn, but man, this NAV is a bitch to use.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

The worst part is, the Audi Nav is one of the best OEM systems on the market. I guess it's because they have a monopoly - if you want a Nav system that is fully integrated with your car, you only have one choice. So they feel like they don't need to invest all the R+D into making great user interfaces.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:20 AM
2nd Gear

It's certainly possible -- the real question is how muh of a pain in the a$$ is it going to be. If you put the DVD in your computer and explore the disc, what do you see? Is there one file or multiple files? What is the file extension?

Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 AM
1st Gear

tonicboy, what makes you say Audi has one of the best OEMs? I thought Honda/Acura was ahead?