Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

ESP switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:23 PM
1st Gear
Default ESP switch

So on the dash below the radio there is a the 'ESP Off' push button as you are probably aware of. Now I can't remember exactly how it behaved but just of late I noticed that when I turn off ESP the button doesn't light up to indicate that it has been turned off. I get the light on the instrument panel but not on the button I pushed. So my question is was there ever a light that lit up once you turned ESP off or am I just imagining that there was?

Old 04-30-2007, 04:26 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: ESP switch

Think you are imagining things. Just the 'slippery road' symbol in the tach turns on for me, and the center trip computer says ESP off.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:29 PM

if switched on the one on the dash says so if off the light is to tell you where it is in the dark lol the switch light should stay on all the time im sureESP switch otherwise known as the girly button used to take out the fun of driving

Old 04-30-2007, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

okay so the switch in the center dash doesn't have a back light - I just thought I may have blown a fuse or created a loose wire or something when I was putting everything back together after my boost gauge install

Old 04-30-2007, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

Question: can the ESP be turned off all the time? Or does it always come back on everytime the car is restarted?

Old 04-30-2007, 11:37 PM

I've never figured out how, or read how to disable it permanently. Most of the time I don't worry about it unless I'm rallying around or such. The biggest problem is that it can't ever totally be disabled. If you turn it off, then launch really hard, it comes back on. You can call it a safety net, but I call it annoying.

Cheers!

Old 05-01-2007, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

if i remembered corectly
you can turn if off by holding the button for 3-4 sec
i think its in the manual somewhere.
correct me if im wrong. ya no ?

Old 05-01-2007, 07:16 PM

You can't turn it off completely. I tried the "hold the button for a certain time" scenerio and it ain't happen'n. You can "turn it off" according to them and the light on your dash, but it will pop back in under extreme situations. Which would be normal, spirited, driving for me.

Cheers!

Old 05-04-2007, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

what exactly does the ESP do anyway? I've always had it on, never had it off.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

I maybe wrong but it is a traction control system. Hit the gas from a stand still with it on, the wheels will spin, the light on the dash will flash furiously and the system it trying to stop the wheels spinning.

Quick Reply: ESP switch