Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

exhaust/downpipe/cat or not cat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 05:43 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default exhaust/downpipe/cat or not cat?

ok, i've been searching a couple sites re: the downpipe for the A3.

1) does the catback make ANY boost different alone?...... or is it solely for the grumble for your car?

2) as for the downpipe....... If i get the downpipe alone, should i get one with or without the cat? and what brand?

3) i looked at Milltek, AWE, and APR downpipes, seems like the Milltek and AWE has the cat attachedand cost roughly $700, butasfor the APR downpipe alone, it doesn't seem to have a cat, which is probably why it costs only $500

4) or is it just better to get the FULL turboback?......and if i DO get the turboback, would it affect my smog-checks in the upcoming years?

the reason why i'm trying to stay away from the catback exhaust is so i can stay away from the grumble, but if it DOES make a performance diffy, then obviously i'm gonna get it.

thanks for anyone's input

Old 12-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Default RE: exhaust/downpipe/cat or not cat?

its not illegal to remove the cat as long as the emissions are what they should be ( VAG is a wondrous toy ) if you know how to use it

Old 12-29-2006, 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Audinam

ok, i've been searching a couple sites re: the downpipe for the A3.

1) does the catback make ANY boost different alone?...... or is it solely for the grumble for your car?

2) as for the downpipe....... If i get the downpipe alone, should i get one with or without the cat? and what brand?

3) i looked at Milltek, AWE, and APR downpipes, seems like the Milltek and AWE has the cat attachedand cost roughly $700, butasfor the APR downpipe alone, it doesn't seem to have a cat, which is probably why it costs only $500

4) or is it just better to get the FULL turboback?......and if i DO get the turboback, would it affect my smog-checks in the upcoming years?

the reason why i'm trying to stay away from the catback exhaust is so i can stay away from the grumble, but if it DOES make a performance diffy, then obviously i'm gonna get it.

thanks for anyone's input
You knew I'd be one of the first to jump on this.

1) The CAT-back makes almost no performance gains by itself - definitely made for the noise

2) You can get the downpipe with or without a CAT. I chose the APR DP with the 100 cell CAT. It's basically like not having a CAT at all, but it's apparent that there is a CAT under visible inspection. I was told by David at Eurocode that the car would still pass emissions. We'll see, but not for a long time.

3) I looked at a lot of CAT DP's and the APR unit is sweet. It has all of the OEM mounts attached and fit very nicely. A hug straight 3" pipe.

4) If you get the full TB exhaust then you would get the most free flowing exhaust, but just adding a DP to your stock CAT-back design improves performance dramatically. I'm doing probably a little better with the GReddy set-up because it's a straight shot into the free flowing muffler then into the dual exhaust. It avoids the "flattened" muffler design, but makes the application considerably louder.

Dude, get the downpipe and you will see almost all of the performance gains with very little increase in sound. Decide then if you want the CAT back addition or not.

Cheers!

And, I look forward to our spirited jaunts!

Old 12-29-2006, 06:28 PM
SoCal Crew Member

thanks,

either way, i'm getting a downpipe, just what brand to go with is what i'm wondering, the APR has a 100 cell cat, the millteck and AWE has a 200 cell metal cat OR a 400 cell ceramic cat....... is it the bigger the cat the better? or is it the smaller the cat the better?

Old 12-29-2006, 06:31 PM

Bigger CAT = better emissions reduction
Smaller CAT = better exhaust flow

Old 12-29-2006, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear

Nam before you buy check with Jeff at GHL quality product great customer service.
I've got the full turbo back 3" quad tip sweet sound throaty, any way since your going to upgrade get the rear apron with the passenger side cut out in the rear bumper and get a quad tip or dual tip in the APR version the car will look so complete from the rear you'll love it. p.s. check out mine i just finished the Oettinger kit and GHL quad tip on mine will post pics tonight. good luck