Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

First Drive...Am I Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Default First Drive...Am I Crazy?

Hey guys, been lurking around here for awhile now. Spent the last year drooling over the A3, just waiting for the right time to ditch my RX300 on a trade. Read every article I could find and knew exactly what options I wanted. Today I finally had a chance to go for my first test drive. Took the wife and stopped by Audi/VW of Princeton to check out a Lava Grey '06 Premium. Exterior was a little more beat up than I was expecting, but I figured I was taking it for a test drive no matter what. Hopped in and was immediately shocked by how small it is. I'm into small cars, my main car is a C230 coupe that we're planning on trading in for a used SLK350 next year, so I'm all for small. But man, this wagon was tiny. Smaller than my old WRX wagon I think. Anyway, after getting over the size, we started checking out the main cabin. Seats were very comfy, center stack looked decent, but I thought it seemed very similar to my buddies Passat. I know it's the same Corp., but I've been hearing about the amazing Audi interior for over a year now and I guess after checking out the RS4 in the showroom I was expecting a little more. Anyway, we finally get out on the road, and for the life of me I couldn't get comfortable. The dead pedal was just massive, forcing my left leg into some strange positions. The gas and brake pedal also seemed extrordinarily close to each other. The entire time I was driving, the inside of my right foot was touching the brake pedal, it was very awkward. And though the telescoping was great, I couldn't angle the wheel low enough. I really just couldn't find any comfortable driving position the whole time. But the worst part was the ride. I'm used to my C which I classify as luxury sport. I can drive all day in comfort, but still hit the tiptronic and have a sporty mode when needed. The suspension soaks up the bumps but has enough control not to be soft. I get a little more body roll than I'd like, but I'll take it for a smooth ride. Now this A3 was just harsh. I mean harsh! Every single road bump was like a giant pot hole. The car felt twitchy and the steering was way too light. The engine was obnoxiously loud and there was noticeable turbo lag. Other than the killer DSG (Love that sport mode), the exterior look and the comfy seat, I was completely disappointed in the car. I asked the saleman if that car was what a stock A3 felt like figuring that the previous owner could have changed the suspension or had the tires cranked up to 50psi or who know's what. He basically got all defensive telling me that it's a short wheelbase car and that's how they ride and handle. I tried explaining politely to him that he was a complete moron, (OK, maybe I didn't say that even though I wanted to ) but this guy acted as if he was the head engineer on the A3 or something. I figured we could go check out a new '08 model, but he just kept telling me I needed an A4 if I wanted a better ride. One review I read compared the ride to a BMW, but this was nothing like any BMW I've ever been in. I had every intention of trading my RX in during the next few weeks, but if this is typical, then I need to find a new plan. I've been wanting this car for over a year now. Did I just happen to test drive the biggest pos A3 in NJ? Or do they all ride that harsh? I know some people are going to think I'm just bashing here, but I'm not. I'm trying to find out if I'm looking at the wrong car for me, or if I just had a bad car. I really need something similar to how my C rides. Sporty, but definitely luxury biased. This car was pure sport. I do plan oh hitting a different dealership next weekend and testing an '08 premium so I can feel what a stock A3 really feels like. But I'd love to hear some thoughts before then. And please, I know this is my first post and it's negative, but I'm not a troll. I'm just explaining my day and trying to find out if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Sucks because I just love the look of this car.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Default RE: First Drive...Am I Crazy?

Well, sounds like you need to take out a new premium A3 to compare. Personally, I think the ride on the A3 is stiffer than the ride on the C class, but I originally had the sport suspension. It is all about what you like, so decide for yourself and be happy with whatever you purchase. Obviously this car isn't for everybody, or we'd all be driving the same thing everywhere. LOL

Cheers!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:02 AM
1st Gear

Coming from an '03 C230 Sport Sedan, myself, I know how it feels. And to be honest, I like the stiffer suspension. Mind you I have a S-Line A3. But with my C230, the lag in the drive-by-wire was such a PITA. I hated it. Even with the supercharger, it didnt kick in til way late, had minimal torque, and the steering was too heavy. I put in about $6k in mods into my C and it drove like a beast. after wheels and tires, it felt like I was steering a train. Way too heavy. With the 5spoke wheels on my A3 coming in at roughly 25-28lbs each, the sterring is precise. Just like it should be. Point and there the car goes.

DSG vs Triptronic. DSG wins hands down. You can downshift and upshift whenever you want and it will do it. With the Triptronic, if you buried it in 1st all the way through and slapped into 2nd, it would wait til almost, if not, redline before it shifted. The upshift was too much an "automatic". Didnt really feel like I could "shift" the car on my "own"... Unless I was downshifting from 5th to 4th on the freeway.

Essnetially it comes down to what you are primarly looking for. With the C, you are looking at nearly the same in weight, give or take 50lbs. The steeing is not as sharp as the A3. The transmission isnt as smooth/precise. As well as you are 10" longer in the C class. Granted the C is a nice piece, but to me, especially coming from one, there are a few striking things that only encouraged my decision of hoping on the A3 bandwagon. Loved the steering, throttle response, handling, as well as the potential for modding and cost of modding. The only thing I'm not that big on, is the FWD. But so far it hasnt let me down. So its relaly not somethign I'd gripe about. The A3 seems more agile then the C class. But thats just my opinion

Again, the finaly decision comes down to you and what you are looking for and what you are wanting. Good luck with everything.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:12 AM
1st Gear

Check the tires. Car lots routinely air them up to 45 pounds or more, especially in winter, to make up for pressure loss over time. It's just too much trouble for them to check and maintain their used inventory tirres on a weekly basis.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 AM

Haha, yeah, I know not every car is for everyone, but I have a short list of cars I want, and this was at the top of it....atleast at the top of affordable cars I want. Still holding out for a Cayman S.[sm=drooldude.gif]

MBtoA3, you are defintely correct about the C230. It's not a perfect car, there is an insane lag which shouldn't exist on supercharged cars, the ESP program is way too strong (I've almost been hit several times due to the car braking and cutting engine power because of a little wheelspin while getting across traffic)and the tiptronic is good only for downshifting as the upshifts are redline only. But I love the heavy steering and ride. I wasn't expecting the A3 to be the exact same car, but I did think it was going to be similar. I need a wagon because we have 2 boxers, so I was hoping this could replace my reliable, yet boring Lexus. I was going to put the wife back in the C230 and race around in the A3. But dammit, I'm spoiled now and I need luxury first, sport second. I'll test an '08 out next week to find out if this is really the car for me. Oh, and I agree completely. That DSG doesn't even have a competitor. I've never driven any auto with such instant shifts in either direction. Simply a masterpiece the tranny is.

hesaputz, I was sorta thinking the same thing. I know what 3 extra psi does to my RX, so that was one of my first thoughts. But this darn salesman was such a tool that I actually yelled at him during the test drive. We pulled into the lot where we started and I wanted to get a feel for how the car handled in tight spaces so I drove past the parking space and you would have thought I was stealing the car or something. I told him to settle down and kept driving. What a moron.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Topshelf

And please, I know this is my first post and it's negative, but I'm not a troll. I'm just explaining my day and trying to find out if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Sucks because I just love the look of this car.
I've been test-driving A3s recently as well and so I have a few comments about your driving impressions:
[ul][*]The dead pedal was just massive, forcing my left leg into some strange positions. The gas and brake pedal also seemed extrordinarily close to each other. The entire time I was driving, the inside of my right foot was touching the brake pedal, it was very awkward. I've only driven the 6-Speed manual version and didn't notice any such problems, obviously the brake pedal is different in the manual models, and I wonder if the dead pedal is different as well. Hmmmz.[*]But the worst part was the ride. I'm used to my C which I classify as luxury sport. I can drive all day in comfort, but still hit the tiptronic and have a sporty mode when needed. The suspension soaks up the bumps but has enough control not to be soft. I get a little more body roll than I'd like, but I'll take it for a smooth ride. Now this A3 was just harsh. I mean harsh! Every single road bump was like a giant pot hole. The car felt twitchy and the steering was way too light. I'm coming from a 530i Sport Package, and the A3 Premium that I drove felt extremely nice, maybe even a bit soft for my tastes. I'm thinking that there was something definitely wrong with the car that you drove. FWIW, I'm inclined to order the S-Line package to get the stiffer suspension.[*]The engine was obnoxiously loud and there was noticeable turbo lag. I didn't notice either.[*]One review I read compared the ride to a BMW, but this was nothing like any BMW I've ever been in. Interesting, I found the ride to be very similar to my previous non-Sport Package 328i. Go figure.[*]I do plan oh hitting a different dealership next weekend and testing an '08 premium so I can feel what a stock A3 really feels like. But I'd love to hear some thoughts before then. A very wise decision from my perspective. I'm thinking that there was something very wrong with the car you drove.[/ul]
Please, keep us posted.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:51 PM

Well it's good to hear that I can still keep hope alive here. I just got back from taking the dogs to the park in the RX, and man is that a boring car. Not to mention the 15mpg I average in it.

I do have a question that I was hoping someone could answer. I folded the seats down to see how much headroom there would be for my dogs, and it seemed shorter than I was expecting. I know I saw a thread about removing the back seat which might be something I'd consider, but I'd love to know the exact height from the highest part of the folded down seat to the head liner. It's about 32" in the RX. Anyone know the distance for that?

And thanks for all the help guys. I was really hoping this wasn't going to turn into an argument. lol

Old 01-27-2008, 12:55 PM
L7
1st Gear

Topshelf;
First - Shipo is correct. The dead pedal is different on the6MT and sides - you barely use it because you will need to be clutching. As far as the brake pedal and gas pedal being close - it's great for the heal-toe driving. In other words - it's European - mayI suggest getting a pair of Piloti's.
As for the stiff ride and not being able to get a comfortable position. I'm perplexed about that - thedriver's seat on the premium trim is power and has multiple adjustments. That is one of the reasons I wentwith the premium trim. Ifthe model you drove did not havea power drivers seat - then it was the sporttrim you drove. And thus thatcan explain the harsher ride.

As for "The engine was obnoxiously loud and there was noticeable turbo lag." -
I cannot even address that - apart from ?????

And as Shipo states, and I will back. I would easily compare itto my brother's BMW 328CI. And a slightly smaller and much lighter and very much nimbler version of my previous 540i. And more functional trunk/cargo area. More fun to drive etc. etc. etc.

As far as hitting another dealership and checking out a new A3 premium. Yes, by all means do. You may also want to check out another 06 somewhere else. Also - please stop comparing the interiors of the C230 coupe with the A3. That extra perception of space you are feeling is because of the rather large doors on the the 230. I had actually considered the 2005 230 coupe because it was in my price range. And as others had alluded to the same findings I had - it just was not fun for me to drive, like the A3. Plus, having to get in and out of the back seat sucks. The backseats were definitely an afterthought on the 230.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:51 PM

L7, I understand how such a close pedal configuration could be great in a race/track car, it's not at all practical in a daily driver. The shoes I had on were form fitting and soft, when I have to put my work shoes on with a much larger sole, I don't know if it will fit comfortably.

The model I drove had power seats, so it wasn't the sport package. My main concern there was the dead pedal forcing my left leg too high, and the tilt wheel not going low enough. I'm sure it could be something I would just need a week to adjust to, but these were my impressions from the 15 minutes I had.

I'm hoping both of you are on target about the BMW like ride and I just happened to test a "lemon".

I've never once compared the interiors of the C230 Coupe and the A3. All of my comparso's have been based on my RX300 as that will be what's traded in for the A3 if it happens. That being said, I honestly believe the interior of my C is much nicer. I've never once in 5 years used the rear seats, so that's not an issue for me. And I find the mix of sport and luxury perfect. I'm getting older and wiser these days, so I don't go racing through towns recklessly. There's a few spots where I know I can have some fun, but in the daily grind, 98% of my driving is tame and within legal limits. Hmmm, highways don't count there as anything less than 85mph drive me nuts!

There are a few oddities I found with the A3 cabin which perplex me, most important of them being no memory seat? I can deal with the non-power passenger seat since it won't be me over there, but how the hell is there not a power seat/mirror memory button?

No car is perfect, well, except maybe the F430 Scuderia. I realize there are tradeoffs and different makers take a different approach to the same thing. I've never owned an Audi before, (one of the few) and was horribly dissapointed by my first experience. I'm going to test an '08 Premium, if that's everything I thought it should be, then I'll be back to looking for a used A3. Maybe it's not for me, maybe I tested a dud. As soon as I figure it out, I'll let you know.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Topshelf

No car is perfect, well, except maybe the F430 Scuderia.
Trust me, if you think the suspensions on the A3 is stiff, the Scuderia is defintely not for you.

From what I have read, it really doesn't seem like the A3 is for you. IMO, if there are so many things that you don't like about a car, don't try to convince yourself that this is the car you want. Having said that, some of the things can be addressed. If you change the shocks to Koni FSD, the ride will be signficantly more comfortable. The steering can also be set heavier with VAGCOM if that's what you like. You also have to keep in mind that you are coming from a RX300, everything will seem small and some what less luxurious. The front seats are definitely not smaller than the Subie or 3 series. And I guess the interior is a personal thing, for me, I like it more than the A4/3Series.

I say give it another go, if it's still not right, get something else. The new C Class maybe?

Quick Reply: First Drive...Am I Crazy?