Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Gas Mileage with Chips

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Gas Mileage with Chips

With the high and getting higher price of gas, I’m considering a chip for the potential gas mileage improvement some claim.

Those of you with chips, could you please reply with your typical gas mileage, both combined and strictly highway when driven ‘reasonably’? Please also note which chip, what stage of tune, any other engine mods, any comments like effect on DSG shifts, adjustability, and how your dealer reacts. Do the chips that allow reversion to “stock” actually go unnoticed by the dealer?

For comparison, my unchipped ’06 2.0T DSG gets 25.5-26 mpg combined, which is about 60% highway, and 30-31 in pure highway driving at 65-75 mph. From what I read, those numbers seem to be quite typical for a stock A3. BTW, I’m unlikely to make any other engine mods for strictly performance reasons, but will always be looking for reliability enhancements like the Eurojet PCV.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Default RE: Gas Mileage with Chips

when you make mods what do you expect? the diesel engine doesn't compare with the gas engine in performance * diesel is supposed to mean better mpg?" but we all know that's not true

Old 06-03-2008, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Techbod,

What do you mean diesels don't get better mileage? I'm getting average 37MPG from my TDI, mostly city, and around 43 mpg hwy. Those numbers are in the neighborhood of 50% better than Dfrosts 2.0 gasoline numbers. And my driving style is fairly smooth 80% of the time, and stupid aggressive the other 20% of the time.

After I chipped with superchips, mileage is up around 5-8% ,though you can easily kill that with all the aggressive driving you will want to do once you chip it. I don't think the increase is as much for gasoline, and most people will tell you, they probably get worse mileage after chipping because of the fun, not the chip itself.

My dealer has not been able to electronically detect my chip, they did notice it on the test drive, but the tech gave me a nudge nudge wink wink. If the dealer 'formally' discovers the chip, the warranty for all effected parts is basically void, because Audi won't pay the dealer for the work.

Last but not least...even if you do get a 5% increase in efficiency (optimistic in my view) you will still need to do a lot of driving to make up the costs of the chip. Loose your warranty and have a costly repair? You will need to drive your car across America a few times to 'make-up' the money it cost you to fix your car without the warranty. Moreover, I suspect if you continue to refine your driving style, and make just 1 less trip per week, you could more than beat the efficiency gain from a chip.

My advice is...chip if you want to get the performance, not for mileage. (For me, TOTALLY worth it) but do so with the knowledge you *could* face warranty issues and unexpected costs.

Chip the car and drive it like a beast!

And Techbod...I know you are more knowledgeable about cars than I, but why do you say a diesel is not more efficient given the p numbers?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

I have APR stage 2 (3" turbo back exhaust) and get 27 mpg at 65-75 mph on highway, but usually around 24-25 mpg because I usually drive 70-90 mph. It's through Boston traffic so it's a lot of slow and speed up so it kills milage.

As to dealer, last time I took it in they were going to a flash upgrade for the flapper valve and my tech called me and asked "Is that car chipped?' I sadi yes and he "oh, ok. I was going to do a service flash, but I won't if you're chipped." I asked if I needed the upgrade and he said "No. If you're chipped, you don't have this issue." So he was cool about it. No issues.

Let's be claer. I drive my car for enjoyment, not economy, so your milage will definately vary if you're going a constant 65 on the highway.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

A great big +1 to what TPE said. The increased mileage (assuming you can keep your foot off the fun pedal) will be negligable (sp?). And the $400-$600 that it will cost to get your car chipped would take a long time to pay for itself. If you are going to chip, chip for fun not for economy.

E (won't be chipping his car any time soon because he KNOWS he wouldn't be able to keep his foot off the fun pedal)

Old 06-03-2008, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: mattrazzo

I have APR stage 2 (3" turbo back exhaust) and get 27 mpg at 65-75 mph on highway, but usually around 24-25 mpg because I usually drive 70-90 mph. It's through Boston traffic so it's a lot of slow and speed up so it kills milage.

As to dealer, last time I took it in they were going to a flash upgrade for the flapper valve and my tech called me and asked "Is that car chipped?' I sadi yes and he "oh, ok. I was going to do a service flash, but I won't if you're chipped." I asked if I needed the upgrade and he said "No. If you're chipped, you don't have this issue." So he was cool about it. No issues.

Let's be claer. I drive my car for enjoyment, not economy, so your milage will definately vary if you're going a constant 65 on the highway.
What dealership do you goto? I'm looking for a mod-friendly dealership. I usually take mine to Prime (used to be Clair) Audi in Norwood or Audi of Nashua.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:40 PM
1st Gear

great post TPE_A3

You have influenced me further to get a chip!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

Remember though - our gains with the 3.2 are going to be marginal while drinking a little more fuel than stock. Even in terms of fun, one might believe the $300-$500 chip on the 3.2 will never pay for itself. Not advising against it, but I will admit I paid for the software and also have to fill up a bit more often for that tiny bit of extra torque.

Fun purchase? Yes. Expensive? Yes. Wise purchase? Nah.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

I dont notice a difference in fuel usage at all with the 2.0 chipped GIAC.

but I do notice a BIG difference in power.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

A3s45....black on black...one sexy beast you're rolling in!!

I agree with drumdork03...I don't think you can get the value out of chipping a 3.2. Might be a bit smoother, but drumdork and others (eltonsi) have said fuel economy goes down quite a bit in a chipped 3.2. For the 2.0T and my 2.0TDI, the chip basically increases the boost pressure which then create magic from our little engines....a sweet turbo note and torque that chewed through my last set of tires in 12000km ! hahahah..

Yeah...forgot to mention that...chip and another expense is your tire wear....after I chipped I can squeak my wheels between 2nd and 3rd on a DSG TDI if I'm not careful with the throttle!

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage with Chips