Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Going to Germany? What do I do to the car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 05:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Going to Germany? What do I do to the car?

Hey all,
First off, very helpful forum. I am in the Army and may be coming down on orders for Germany. What do I have to have done to the car to take it with me? Also, looking at getting married before going and girlfriend/future wife, wants another Audi. Should I buy one over there for her with American specs?

Old 08-21-2006, 07:03 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Going to Germany? What do I do to the car?

as for what to do to the car to send it, I don't know.

But, I'd wait to get a car until you are over there. You can take advantage of miltary sales. Plus, you won't have to deal w/the wait of shipping a car over.

Does Audi offer the same kind of overseas delivery that Volvo and BMW offer? If they do, and there is no time limit in which you need to leave, maybe you could take advantage of that as well. But... you usually can't finance the car in a deal like that. That is what a Volvo dealer told me anyway.

Where in Germany? I was stationed in Augsburg, near Munich, when I was in the navy. I loved it there! I never wanted to leave! German girls loved me! but, you won't deal w/that since you are taking a woman w/you!

Have fun! Take it easy on the beer, it hits sudden and hard!

Old 08-21-2006, 07:12 PM

you don't need to do anything because your setup for left hand drive but taking the car there is expensive so the other guy makes a good point, buy a cheapy over there

Old 08-21-2006, 11:21 PM
SoCal Crew Member

bye one, drive it, then sell it when you're ready to go back to the states!!!!!!

or

your can quit the military and stay with your Audi here in the US........... hee hee.. j/k

Old 08-22-2006, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

2nd one not an option, I am too dedicated to the service of this country.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:59 AM
1st Gear

The military ships cars to and from for free, so that isn't a concern. The only problem is waiting. You should be able to pick up a used car over there really, really cheap.

I had a 1978 MB 200 that I picked up for $1000. it was the nicest running car I'd ever driven up to that point. I could have sold it for the same amount had I not put it into a guard rail at 105 mph.

Oh well. Since the military will ship a vehicle you purchase over there back to the states, as long as it is a US destined car, you'll be fine. But, as someone else mentioned, I would pick up a cheap car for use over there. Winters can be harsh.

Where are you going anyway? I loved it there! Had I not been ready to find a wife, I may have still been there!

Old 08-22-2006, 10:44 PM
1st Gear

And if I remember right, you are exempt from having to alter anything on the car since you are with the military. Have fun, Germany is nice. Oh yeah, they drive on the same side of the car as us. lol.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:37 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: AudiGI

Hey all,
First off, very helpful forum. I am in the Army and may be coming down on orders for Germany. What do I have to have done to the car to take it with me? Also, looking at getting married before going and girlfriend/future wife, wants another Audi. Should I buy one over there for her with American specs?
you only have to do an agricultural cleaning to the car (vacuum the inside, steam the engine bay if full of dirt, not grease, wash it) and it has to have under a 1/4 tank of gas. get pictures of the car inside and out at the point of shipment. if something happens on the boat, this helps speed up the legal process (if you've been in even a few months, you know how slow the base legal works.) germans love to salt the roads. A LOT! not a problem if you don't mind washing your car often. unless you are going to a remote post, you will have a base car wash and hobby shop with wash stalls available so this shouldn't be a problem. as for buying a car, auto exchange handles audi. you have to look at what state you will register with when you return, but most, if you buy a new car and it is delivered in germany this year, and shipped after jan 1st of next, it is considered a used car and normal sales tax doesn't apply. you can also opt to buy a car as you are pcsing back to the states and it will be delivered to america, but then new car sales taxes apply so no savings. pm blueovalguy about shippment of more than one car, he just left and had a few, but the military will only pay for one but remember, it doesn't have to be the same one. hope that is some help. you're gonna love it here!