Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Hardwiring a radar detector...

Old 07-25-2007, 04:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Hardwiring a radar detector...

I know there are a million different posts on hard-wiring your radar detector... Some of them are very descriptive in every aspect until they get to the point where they say "tap the fuse" and your good to go.

Well I just wanted to give a little more clarification on this... I choose to "tap" into my rear wiper fuse and its working perfectly! The radar shuts off when I shut off the car and worked perfectly when it rained and the rear wiper was on with the radar.

I am curious to hear what fuses everyone else used... or if anyone ever forsee's my choice as creating a problem in the future.

On a side note... anyone reluctant to do this is crazy!! (almost as crazy as it is to have this car without a radar)
It literally took me about 10 mins in the parking lot during my lunch break one day!!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Default RE: Hardwiring a radar detector...

Agreed. A GOOD radar detector is worth it's weight in hundreds. I just tapped mine into a hot wire, but I always pop it out when I stop anyway. It is much cleaner looking with the wire coming from the front of the dash. Hadn't thought of the rear wiper.

Cheers!

Old 07-25-2007, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

AGREE X2!

I don't remember which fuse i tapped into but always one that is hot.

I always run my wire along the a-pillar and then along the headliner/windshield to the rear view mirror and the radar gets mounted high.
My V1 works great up there. Then i usually look for somewhere low and kinda hidden to mount the aux display which is awesome, btw.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

Do any of you guys with the V1 have the mod to use the Audi trip display in the console to display what's on the radar? If so, was it difficult to setup and how do you like it?

Old 07-25-2007, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

Oh man, the last time I actually owned an Audi they were still working on that! Totally forgot about it. So it actually finished development?

Old 07-26-2007, 11:00 AM
1st Gear

Now this is impressive!!!!

http://media.putfile.com/Valentine-One-Stealth-Display

Old 07-28-2007, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

I have been convinced by many posts, studies, and friends' recommendations to purchase a Valentine 1. I just ordered one from the actual store and await it in the mail (didn't want to risk it on eBay or someplace else for something like this). I have one question on the hard wiring...

ORIGINAL: d2mini
I always run my wire along the a-pillar and then along the headliner/windshield to the rear view mirror and the radar gets mounted high.
What's the safest way to run the wire along the A-pillar? I see some posts that completely remove it and then zip-tie the wire to the other wires in there, but I am reluctant to remove the A-pillar? Can't I just tuck the wire in there? What method did everyone else here use for that? Sorry if I seem naive, I just don't want to unecessarily remove parts that should not be touched

Old 07-28-2007, 06:35 PM

It is recommended to have the radar detector mounted in the middle of the window, as low as possible, as long as the windshield wipers and tint aren't in the way. The main reason is to better detect laser signals. Laser is very narrow, only being 18" wide at 500 feet. If the cop is aiming at your light or license plate, then you want your radar detector as low as possible to detect the signal. Having said that, I mounted mine low in the center and have laid the wire up from the driver's side, and inbetween the dash and the windshield. It works well and it doesn't look bad at all.

Cheers!

Old 07-28-2007, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jeratain

Can't I just tuck the wire in there?
Yes, that's all I have ever done.

But give some thought to what Chef said and see what works best for you.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:17 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really hesitate to take anything apart, so I'll definitely try out and see which method I'm more comfortable driving with. If putting the detector in the lower middle, like Chef says, is something that doesn't hinder my vision any at night or in the day, I'll do that for optimal range; otherwise I'll try out the other way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hardwiring a radar detector...