Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Head Gasket Again? Please No!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Default Head Gasket Again? Please No!

Hi Y'all.

Head gasket on my 1998 1.6 Audi A3 was replaced in March 2005. It seemed to 'go' without any prior warning, just failed to start one day, and then blew a big plume of white smoke from the exhaust once started. It had 105,000 miles on the clock and full service history.

Now I am having engine trouble again - severe loss of coolant, creamy oil cap etc. and having read up on the subject I am worried that it could be on it's way out again. But then as per some of the threads on here, I am hoping that it might be a smaller problem as I do short journeys to and from work, so maybe the cream is just condensation, and the coolant loss due to a crack or something?!

To my knowledge when the gasket was replaced last year, no other work was done to the coolant tank, pump or radiator, so my question is this - When the garage discovered that the gasket had blown, should they have tried to diagnoseout the cause and fixed it? It seems stupid to have fixed such a major part of an engine, and not treat the actual cause?!!! Do you think I might have a chance of talking them into reducing cost, if they didn't complete the job properly the first time? Worth getting two opinions?

The final bill last year came to £800 which included drilling out and replacement of spark plugs which had been cross-threaded! I really can't face the thought of shelling out again to fix this, (or afford it!) and have been avoiding taking it the garage in case of bad news. I'm getting a company car in a few weeks and was hoping to sell the Audi, but now I'm concerned it will be unsaleable.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Jex
1st Gear
Default RE: Head Gasket Again? Please No!

Hi,

I just posted a thread on what happened with the head gasket on my '97 1.6 A3 - might be of some use.

Based on what you say - the creamy oil is likely to be due to short trips, it happens to me all the time. Taking it for a long drive should clear it up temporarily - all the water in the oil should evaporate.

The coolant loss is the big worry - it would be worth checking round all the coolant pipes to see if you can see leaking (white deposits), as well as seeing you if can smell coolant in the exhaust - this would almost definitely mean a cylinder head problem.

If you got the work done at a franchised Audi dealer (I take it you're in the UK from the '£800') it should have a 2 year guarantee on it so take it back and get them to have a look...

Hope this helps.