Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

How good is Audi's Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 05:15 PM
1st Gear
Default How good is Audi's Bluetooth?

Is Audi's Bluetooth on the A3 worth it? How good is the voice commands?

Is anyone using the Verizon's "Motokrzr" with it? How goods the audio and does it support phone book transfers from the phone?

I'm about to buy an A3... and I'm consider all the options. Thanks!

Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: How good is Audi's Bluetooth?

My daughter's A3 has the tech package w/Bluetooth. When I delivered the car to her in Savannah, I also got her a new Sprint phone, Motorazr V3. It paired up great, shows the phone book on center display, makes calls, answers, and hangs up from the steering wheel. Even beeps when you get a text. She wasn't interested in the voice dialing, so I didn't mess with it enough to be knowledgeable.
Your dealer should have a fairly current list of compatible phones; that's how I did my shopping. I still have the February list.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

its great....ifyou have a cell phone that supports all the features. I have a cingular blackjack ad all it does is answer and end. Stupid Blackjack doesn't support the phonebook profile, so thats not accessible for me. Also the car is capable of even displaying your current reception, again dependent of the phone. The car's features are definately worth having the bluetooth package. Just be careful with the phone you pick out.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

Could someone post which Verizon Wireless phones are compatible? I can only seem to find the December 22 list and literally have to replace my phone in the next 48 hours.

Thanks either way!

Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

Do you know how the "phone book" on some cars Bluetooth... is actually on the car (you have to enter or transfer phone numbers to the cars memory). So when you say (on some phones) it "shows the phone book on center display" - is that the actual cell phone "phone book" or the cars?

Old 04-05-2007, 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: drumdork03

Could someone post which Verizon Wireless phones are compatible? I can only seem to find the December 22 list and literally have to replace my phone in the next 48 hours.

Thanks either way!
as far as i know, verizon will let you "try" a new phone for like 15 days and if you don't like it (it doesn't work well in your car) then you can change it, no questions asked. just make sure you don't scratch the phone or they won't take it back (carry it inside a sock or something!!).

i tried 3 different phones a couple of months ago (15 days each) until i was happy with my pick.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, which phone did you end up keeping? It looks like the list has not changed (got one from my stealership) in a few months, and i'm really tempted with the Motorolla V3x and LG VX8600. And in a few days the LG VX8700 comes out.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

yeah, our cars support reading directly from the phone, as well as having an internal phone book. the center display from what i can tell will ONLY show names directly in the phone though, which is a real bummer since my phone doesnt support this. Oh well.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Hey Monkeyboy

I'm no expert, but here's what I've been told; some phone services (Sprint and a couple ofothers) use a particular configuration that is fully supported by Audi's bluetooth. Other cell servicesuse slightly different phone models with a sim card. Their phones will generally pair up with Audi bluetooth and steering wheel controls, but phone book needs to be set up manually. One type of service is GSM; I forget what the other is called.
From what I was told, the features that work with your Audi are determined more by which service you have than your particular phone. I left the Audi list in my daughters car, but surely your dealer has it.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Monkeyboy

Do you know how the "phone book" on some cars Bluetooth... is actually on the car (you have to enter or transfer phone numbers to the cars memory). So when you say (on some phones) it "shows the phone book on center display" - is that the actual cell phone "phone book" or the cars?
That depends on the phone. In theory, if your phone supports the Bluetooth "handsfree" profile, you should be able to access the phone's phonebook on the NAV+ display. I have a Cingular Treo 650 and this feature doesn't quite work - it only shows my quick dial numbers. It does show useful things such as received calls and missed calls, though. The voice dialing feature is great, although it takes some time to program in voice tags for everyone you want to be able to dial. You can also voicedial by number, which is nice. The speaker volume could be a little louder, and some people have told me that it's a little hard to hear me, which is probably a factor of being on speaker and also in a moving car with background noise. Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with it. No more fumbling under the seatbelt into my front pocket to grab the phone whenever there's a call. Oh yeah, there is one big pet peeve I have about the system. When you get an incoming call, it doesn't display the number on the DIS. WTF?! About 2 seconds later, it will display it on the NAV+ screen, but it doesn't say the name. Of course, who actually remembers peoples' phone numbers nowadays? So people always start talking, assuming I know who it is and I always have to stop them and say, "Sorry, who is this?" After the call is over, the caller's name will display in my Received Calls section, so I know they have the info! Why they don't show it is beyond me.

Quick Reply: How good is Audi's Bluetooth?