Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

I need some HELP!!! Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Default I need some HELP!!! Please!!!

Hi there. I'm brand new here so forgive me if I am putting this post in a wrong spot.

Anyways, I'm proud to say my love affair with the A3 has been going on since last July. I'm thrilled every time I get behind the wheel.

But recently, I've had a problem. My dealer assures me everything is ok but it does not sound like that to me. Anyways, here's the problem.

When riding the clutch (especially when going in reverse, or starting uphill), it will start squealing. It is most obious in the extreme colds but recently it started doing it any time. The temperatures are starting to go up but the problem is still there. The squealing noise will stop once the clutchpedal is fully pressed or depressedbut as long as I'm on it, accelerating at the same time, it will sqeal. The longer I hold it partially depressed, the longer the squeal.

After going to the dealer twice already, they finally actually heard the noise when they drove it but assure me that nothing is wrong. Again, I highly doubt that.

Please, if someone knows anything about what the potential problems are, please help. I've been googeling every search term I could come up with but can't find any specific information. All problems I find described are with different symptoms.

Thanks very much. I really appreciate any help.

Bob.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: I need some HELP!!! Please!!!

While I don't have this problem on my A3, I did have similar problem on my ex 05' mazda3. The problem was a faulty safety switch thing that makes to step on the clutch pedal before cranking. I got squeaking noise every time I step on the clutch to certain degree and it gradually got louder and louder. Eventually I shove a phone right down there while I play the music for mazda's service rep. Mazda replaced that part under warranty. Not sure if this is the same as your problem, but it might be worth having your audi shop check it out.

good luck

Old 04-12-2008, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

Bob > If your dealership heard the noise and then assures you there is nothing wrong - then it's time to find a new dealership. Your clutch should not be making this noise. I have no idea what the problem is, but a reputable dealership should be able to quickly diagnose the problem (not deny that you have one). Hopefully, someone jumps in here with some helpful info - good luck.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:32 PM

ditto^^^

Find a new shop or start bitching up a storm. Good luck.

Cheers!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Oh, a BIG storm is on its way. I just hoped that someone could shed light on what potential problems could be. Anyways, I think I'm gonna have to find a new dealership.

Thanks.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

I don't know what kind of throw out bearing is used on the Audi but that could be the problem. As several had suggested, find a new mechanic.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:42 PM

I've been having the same problem for about a year now. It happens for me most often after i've been driving for a while and the car heats up. Happens mostly when letting out the clutch on an incline. Took it to the dealership last year and they said not to worry about it. Last week I took it in again and insisted they look into it. One of the head techs took a ride w/ me but since the car was cold i couldn't get it to really squeal. He heard it a little and suggested that it was some sort of air valve. He replaced that for me but it's still not fixed. He didn't think it was the clutch since, as he said, these clutches are designed to last 80-90000 miles. However, he did say if the sound was still there he would look closer at the clutch. Anyway, i recently took a video camera w/ me on a hot day and captured the sound/squeak/squawk. Here's the link:
http://nandano.net/nandanoFTP/audinoise.mov

Is this the noise you're experiencing? I'm also finding no answers online. I'm finding several posts where people have this problem but no one has offered up a solution yet. I'll be going back to the dealership soon w/ this video clip as proof of the sound and I'll follow up here if we ever get it figured out...