Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Iced Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Default Iced Windshield

I just purchased a 2006 A3, 2.0T and I totally love it except for a few issues. Unfortunately, I live in a cold area, with snow and ice and my car is parked outside, but that is what Audi is known for...right? I have never had a car like this that I can't clean off the windshield well enough for the washer fluid to work. I am aware of the service mode on the wipers, but what good is that when you can't have the car running and the wipers up at the same time?? The defroster is awesome, but then again, you can't have that running while you try to get the ice out from between the hood and the wipers..and what snow brush fits in that area to free the washer fluid holes without scratching??? Am I totally missing something?
Living in a cold, icy climate with a so-call all weather Audi, but yet I can't see squat driving into work on the highways..is quickly allowing me to forget what a nice engine it really has....
Is anyone else experiencing this??

Old 02-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Default RE: Iced Windshield

Carrie,

Welcome! As for your problem, I've never had that experience before ever. BTW, what's ice? You mean the stuff you put in your drink? LOL

Seriously, I haven't seen a post yet on this problem. Maybe you'll get some good feedback.

Cheers!

Old 02-07-2007, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

Why not bring a bottle of warm/hot water with you outside? That'll get rid of the ice quickly.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: cuski

Why not bring a bottle of warm/hot water with you outside? That'll get rid of the ice quickly.
and your windshield lol definitely not wise,

AC works for cold weather the same as hot ( turn the heat up and put the AC on but not too hot ) but some times you have to be patient

Old 02-07-2007, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cuski

Exploding screen anyone?

CarrieK,

It sounds like you have much more extreme weather than here in the UK but if I've got just ice/frost on the screen then some water at room temperature poured on the screen and then a quick flick of the wipers does the trick for me. However, for more serious ice and snow I totally take your point. The inability to just lift the wipers is a real pain. Getting the wipers to service mode when they're stuck solid to the screen is a bit of a no-no. Maybe a mix of room temperature water and screenwash/de-icer poured on may do the trick? I'll let you know because we're forecast for snow tonight.

I really do think the 'detailmeister' had a day off when they thought up the whole A3 wipers thing.

Oh, another tip for everyone. Especially if you never read the manual (like me). Don't ever be tempted to move the vehicle while you've got the wipers in service mode and off the screen.A 'friend of mine' did this and it turns out they try and return to the park position leaving a nice little chip on the edge of the bonnet (hood?) and then fly six feet across the driveway. Didn't he feel silly...

Old 02-07-2007, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

The answer to your problem: washer fluid heaters:

http://www.windshieldwiperheaters.com/

I've seen first hand this system in operation. Does an awesome job of removing snow/ice from the windshield and unclogging frozensprayer nozzles. Also, for melting the ice that builds up in the wiper spring mechanism (causes those d@mn streaks right at eye level). Really well thought-out design. Easy install. The only down side that I can see is that this system uses quite a bit of washer fluid, so you'll be filling the reserve bottle more often then you're probably doing now.
[/align]

Old 02-07-2007, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

Here is one thing we do in the frigid Midwest. When you park your car at night, move the wipers to the service mode and lift them from the windshield. Cover the windshield with a tarp or plastic bag. Pull the bag or tarp off the window in the morning, scrape or brush whatever and wherever is leftand then put the wiper blades down, then turn the car on and begin warm up.

Is it a pain in the a$$---YES [:@]but it does help.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: rich1068

Exploding screen anyone?
Not if you're careful. Don't just pour the whole thing on the windshield, or yes, it will probably crack. If you use tiny amounts though, it makes it easier to scrape the ice off.

I like the tarp idea though.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

Holy S*&% this is all quite amusing,

Maybe I'm the only one who owns an ice scraper? Or maybe since I may be the only one in Canada, this all is pretty funny to me.

I've seen Ice thicker than concrete on my windshield....thats when a gold old scraper (3$ at the old Home Hardware) comes in handy. Never fails.......its called elbow grease

Old 02-07-2007, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

You're not the only one in Canada.

Then again.... we don't see much snow where I am.

Quick Reply: Iced Windshield