Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

installing ipod integration, need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:14 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default installing ipod integration, need help

ok, so i finally gave in and got myself an ipod, only for my car, i'm tired of listening to the radio. and i also bought the ipod integration adapter for my Audi 06 A3 2.0T, with a concert radio. anyways, i don't wanna drop 150 bucks on installing it at the dealer, does anyone here know how to install the adapter and show me or write some instructions for me, maybe even with pix so i don't F*^% up anything. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Old 10-31-2007, 03:05 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: installing ipod integration, need help

Check out http://www.audidiy.com/a3.html - there are a few write-ups there. They are all for 3rd party adapters, but they should hook up to the same harness as the OEM iPod adapter. It should be pretty straight-forward, you may hit a snag though if you have a CD changer. IIRC, you can only have a CD changer OR iPod adapter hooked up.

Do you already have the radio removal tools? You can probably figure it out, there are three harnesses behind the factory radio, they only fit in their specific socket, so even if you try to hook it up and can't get it right you can put everything back together with no prob. If you try it and run into any issues, let me know and I can probably help you out. Maybe you could be the first to post a write-up on this?

Old 10-31-2007, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

Use stereo removal "keys" to pop out the factory stereo. Plug in the adapter you'll buy. Run it to the glove box by drilling a small hole. Push stereo back in. Turn on car. Connect ipod to sync cable in your glove box. Smile.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Which iPod integration kit did you buy? Aftermarket ones should come with instructions. In any case, you will need to buy the stereo removal keys, which you can find on eBay or online stores. I got mine from http://www.samstagsales.com/vwaudi2.htm#radio (item T10057)

Old 11-05-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

I bought the GROM Audio one myself. Cheapest around- $80 including the stereo keys

I spoke too soon though. The concert II radio apparently is like the sympony II radio in that you need the P.I.E. AA3-HAR adapter to plug in the CD-changer cable. It'll run you $10-20.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

ooooooh-kay. Another wrinkle. Well, option really. Turns out that behind the glove box where the factory CD changer goes, is still the CD changer cable, all hooked up and ready to go. SO--- you really don't even need to pop the radio out at all. Just order your ipod adapter with the "trunk" or "cd changer" cable instead of the factory head unit cable, and you can install it inside of 25 seconds in the glove box.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:23 PM

I have bought the grom audi adapter for ipod and i cannot find a interface on the rear of my audi concert system. I have a audi a4 avant 2004. Can anyone help? I do not have cd changer.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:25 PM

one more thing... i got the removalkeys from grom for my audi concert and they work fine, but now i cannot remove the key from the radio. It is stuck. I am afraid to use too much force, since there must be a correct technique. Any help?

Old 11-11-2007, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

1) To remove the keys, you need to press on the flat shiny metal piece on the side of the radio. I had to wriggle a tiny little flathead screwdriver in there to move the pin and release the keys. It's not designed for ease of use, that's for sure.

2) You need the P.I.E. AA3-HAR adapter to use the kit, just like I did. I may actually go another way and will sell you mine if you want it. Let me know.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:29 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: w@ntonsoup

ooooooh-kay. Another wrinkle. Well, option really. Turns out that behind the glove box where the factory CD changer goes, is still the CD changer cable, all hooked up and ready to go. SO--- you really don't even need to pop the radio out at all. Just order your ipod adapter with the "trunk" or "cd changer" cable instead of the factory head unit cable, and you can install it inside of 25 seconds in the glove box.
This sure makes the installation much faster and easier, but for anyone considering this purchase, be sure to check if you've got the CD changer cable in place before ordering your parts. I've heard that some A3s have the cable in place (even with no CD changer present) and some don't -- there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which ones have it.

Quick Reply: installing ipod integration, need help