Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Looking to buy an A3

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Default Looking to buy an A3

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a new/used car within the next 3-6 months and I have my eyes set on the A3 2.0T with DSG. I want to get rid of my 01 Honda Civic Ex Sedan because I'm looking for something with more power and handling. I was also looking into the VW GTI Sedan but I didn't really like how it looked. This is my first time buying a car by myselfso I'm new at the whole process.

I was browsing through autotrader.com and came across a used '06 A3 2.0T for $23,688 with only 7,887 miles (McKenna Audi of Norwalk). Other sites have an '06 A3 for $26,995with23,335 miles (Rusnak of Pasadena). So is that price a little too good to be true?

Thanks

Old 02-13-2007, 05:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Looking to buy an A3

They really don't tell you much online as far as included options. The one for $23, 688 only says 06 Automatic (DSG) sport and "ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!" The one for $26, 996 says base configuration but list no options and 23,335 is a lot of miles. (might be a service loaner) I would go to each dealer unannounced and inspect each.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:57 PM

The options on this car will sway the price considerably. Also, checking the condition of the car is very important. I wouldn't suggest buying an A3 without all of the options you'd like to have present. No sense in buying almost the car you really wanted to have. Just a little suggestion from past experiences.

Cheers!

Old 02-13-2007, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I'm probably going to hold off on going to the dealership until I have saved enough money for a down payment. This way they don't call me everyday trying to sell me the car.

On another note, If I were to buy an new Audi A3 with options and it came out to roughly $30,000 MSRP, how much should I aim for a down payment? Is $5000 good? I plan on trading in my honda civic too so hopefully I can get decent money for the trade in.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:03 AM
1st Gear

If. you encounter a Audi dealer that is part of a auto dealer group that also deals in honda's then you get a decent trade-in value, if not then the Audi dealer has to wholesale it cause they can't give to a associated dealership.

How much down is what is right for you. The more down you provide the lower your payments, of course the longer term of the loan the less you pay per month, but more interest you pay. Work this part out with a bank or credit union.

Take time to ponder what you want to do. Good Luck!

Old 02-14-2007, 08:55 AM
L7
1st Gear

Hi Icer;
First off - welcome.
Next. Since your timeline is 3-6 months. You may want to hold off till the later end of your buying period. That would put you in the August to September months - where the 2008 models start arriving and dealerships are getting itchy to move their 2007's. I was able to work out a really good deal on mine by getting a 2006 when they 2007's on the lot and needed to push them. I got all the options I wanted and then some extra's - which I told them I really did not want. Which was a pretty good negotiating tool. Color choices may not be all there, but, I got lucky with that. And since I'm not all that particular about color (just certain ones I absolutely do not want).
First negotiate the price, then negotiate the trade-in. You may even want to drop into Carmax and see what they can give you for your Civic as an option. Do not let them negotiate the price by way of financing. It may be better to have that already worked out with a rate and terms in your hands already - then the dealership can try and beat the rate. And always have the names of other dealerships handy - this way you can always do some name dropping.EG - "So an' so has this exact same one for about the same price but with the navigation option". It may be a color you detest - but, its worth a try.
Good Luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

Damnn do i miss my A3 ... this is def a safe car so i recommend it hands down,and i miss all the mods there are for it. I hate not being forced induction anymore.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:11 AM
1st Gear

I got my new 2007 6spd 2.0t with s-line and open sky for $27,600 (Came out to about $30,000 after TTL) The MSRP was considerably higher than the $27,600. It may have been because I purchased near the end of the year - maybe they had quotas to meet. After shopping around extensively in SoCal that was the best I could find. A lot of the salespeople are really annoying but I finally found one at McKenna. If you are in SoCal I can give you his contact information if you'd like.

--oops didn't notice the date.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:33 PM

Thats good to know that you were able to buy your car at McKenna. I'm still saving up some money for a big down payment but since I live about 10 mins from McKenna, that would be my first choice for the dealership. I might have to PM later on to get his contact information.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:57 AM
1st Gear

I bought an '07 2.0t DSG Silver/Grey, S-Line, Cold, Tech, Open Sky in Dec. '06 for $30,536 with no trade and $8K down.

So for $22.5 minus tax, lic., reg. I think I got a great car. I was the local V dub dealership and I would have been hard pressed to get a GTi for that money. Price a V-dub EOS and see what a great deal an A3 can be if can work a deal with the Audi guys.