Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Lousy Bluetooth connection -- Audi vs. Verizon vs. Palm

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Lousy Bluetooth connection -- Audi vs. Verizon vs. Palm

Hi All-

I'm the happy owner of a 2007 Audi A3 3.2 S Line except for one thing...the silly Bluetooth connectivity.

I currently have a Treo 700WX that constantly beeps on & off and can't maintain a solid connection to the car. Oddly enough, I had an older, less-advanced Treo 700W that worked like a charm! Too bad my employer standardized on this newer telephone. Anyway, when I raised this with Audi, they said it is a known issue this phone doesn't work correctly with the A3 model. Verizon says they don't know anything about this and that Palm (manufacturer of the device) should be contacted. Palm claims not to know anything. They're all pointing fingers at each other for why this modern phone doesn't work in the car!

Any "pearls of wisdom" for a dummy like me so I can get my darn phone to "talk" to my vehicle? THANKS. [8D]

Old 10-31-2007, 11:03 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Lousy Bluetooth connection -- Audi vs. Verizon vs. Palm

Not a real pearl of wisdom but I'm with Verizon too & my Razr V3m works great in the A4. Guess it doesn't matter much which phone works best if you have to go with what the company provides.

May be worth checking if there are any firmware updates for the phone.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

If your bluetooth does work, it means Verizon didn't cripple it and there's nothing they can do about it.

Your beef here is with PALM for making crappy equipment. I'm afraid there's not much you can do besides dropping it in the bowl and ask your boss to get a real business phone, aka blackberries.

Mine works like a charm, albeit I have a '08 model. My blackberry transfers the whole Phonebook very quickly

Old 11-01-2007, 07:51 PM
2nd Gear

Are you running the newest software update?

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...r/verizon.html

Old 11-01-2007, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

I have a Sprint 6700 and had bluetooth problems too. When I hook the phone up to the car charger, bluetooth works perfectly. When the phone is just running on battery, it drives me nuts with its constant connecting and disconnecting (the nav system can mix the stereo with the directions, why does the bluetooth chime cut all the othersound out??). Might try plugging it in and seeing if that helps any.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

Blue Jays - I have the phone you USED to have and as you stated - works perfectly. I'm suprised that the bluetooth functionality would get worse with a newer model, but it seems to point PALM as the source of the problem. Please post if you find the solution - we Palm users would greatly appreciate it.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:34 AM
1st Gear

BAMF- Thank you VERY much! I'm downloading now to see what happens! Thank you once again!
lavadrifter - I'll definitely repost to this thread as soon as I can nail-down a solution. It's crazy that Palm would have decreased functionality on a newer model phone...very frustrating.
HoTice - you can say that again! I've become a one-person-anti-Treo-lobbying-group at work. They are a horribly unreliable device that have no use in modern, serious business.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:01 AM
1st Gear

Just for kicks I tried pushing that fix down to my phone directly rather than to a computer first, but that just isn't allowed. Well, since I don't sychronize with a computer (my firm uses http://www.good.com/corp/index.php) I'll have to see if our telephony guys can push the fix wirelessly that BAMF graciously offered in the posts above. It does appear my BRAND NEW F'IN TREO is already behind with the latest patches and it's only a month or so old!

BAMF's link again: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...r/verizon.html

Old 11-07-2007, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

Keep going against the Treo and Palm. They are known to have bad bluetooth conections. Well hell as a phone they just SUCK!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

It connects to your car but is dropped for some reason...
Your car maintained the connection with your previous device so there is no problem there.
Bluetooth has nothing to do with the service provider...
Thus you are left with the fact that the problem lies within the phone (or one of the applications that your employer has put on the phone)

I have a blackberry that was experiencing similar problems and turns out it was Google Maps that was causing the problem as it would try to connect to a bluetooth GPS puck which would automatically disconnect it from the car.
Perhaps your employer has some program that also uses bluetooth? Do you also have a headset in the car that it may be connecting to and losing the connection to your car?
I would look to software being the problem first... then if thats not the problem go back to Palm.

Another suggestion would be to see if there are any add-on applications for bluetooth management for the palm as I do not know enough about them to comment on the functionability that phones platform.

Hope it helps!

Quick Reply: Lousy Bluetooth connection -- Audi vs. Verizon vs. Palm