Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

This is making me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 05:33 AM
Default This is making me nuts

grrr... what's making that knocking noise my car? Shortly after starting the car, a strange knocking sound occurs coming from the passenger rear side of the car. It actually sounds like a small hammer is knocking onto the frame. It increases and decreases in speed in intesity but unrelated to the speed of the car, eventually it stops. It only happens after the car has been idle for a while (at least an hour). Its nothing in my trunk or anything loose in the car...its something mechanical. Anyone?

Old 04-20-2007, 06:49 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: This is making me nuts

ORIGINAL: audiguyla

grrr... what's making that knocking noise my car? Shortly after starting the car, a strange knocking sound occurs coming from the passenger rear side of the car. It actually sounds like a small hammer is knocking onto the frame. It increases and decreases in speed in intesity but unrelated to the speed of the car, eventually it stops. It only happens after the car has been idle for a while (at least an hour). Its nothing in my trunk or anything loose in the car...its something mechanical. Anyone?
Possibly it's the loose fuel line problem (fuel line is not proberly insulated/held in place and it rattles a bit) on passenger side that a few others have noticed. If that then dealer can fix it.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

Hey Audiguyla!

This may sound stupid, but this is what's been happening with my car: I've experienced the same noises and realized that it was the metal license plate border that bears the audi dealer i bought my car from. since its only screwed in at the top, on startup or after hard driving, the bottom starts banging against the license plate.
just a thought!

Old 04-22-2007, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

Well, if it's independent of speed, then it prolly isn't the same problem I had, but I had this really annoying rattling coming from the passenger side of the car. Turned out that the bolt on the bottom left side of the glove compartmnet was missing a spring inside. Fixed on warranty.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 PM
1st Gear

Is your car a 2.0 or 3.2? I get a faint mechanical pumping/tapping noise from the back of my car every morning, but I have a 3.2 and it is the Quattro setting itself up. It goes away really quickly, though.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

Does it increase or decrease with speed or is it the same even when idling in the driveway?