Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

More Ponies from an A3 3.2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:49 PM
1st Gear
Default More Ponies from an A3 3.2?

Is anyone aware of any chips/software upgrades for the A3 3.2? I've had mine for a month, and this car is in serious need of HP/TQ.

Various reviews of this car have touted a 0 to 60 time of < 6 seconds, which would make for a reasonably quick car, on par, say, with a stock Subaru WRX. My 3.2 doesn't feel that strong. In fact, in some ways it doesn't feel as quick as the A3 2.0 (which is a sweetheart of an engine, IMO).

Are there any software fixes out there that will wake the 3.2 up? My previous experience with OBD-II software (on my departed '98 E36 M3), is that the difference is negligible and not worth the $$$. Hopefully, technology has marched on and this has changed.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Old 04-18-2006, 12:24 AM
Default RE: More Ponies from an A3 3.2?

Yes, you can get a Chip-tuning that will help some. Unfortunately, a normally aspirated engine won't have much room for improvement vs. a turbo or supercharged engine. There is only so much fuel and timing changes to make without the ability to force in more oxygen. This is exactly why I chose to get the 2.0. I would like to have the quattro, but not worth the extra money and lack of mods for the 3.2.

Good luck, you still have a very nice car.

Chef

Old 04-18-2006, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

Nuespeed will have theirs in a week or 2 along with Revo in a month. I spoke to a tuner in England and he did a chip for a 3.2 and it gained 18hp and 18 lb/ft. Also,Milltek has a cat-back system. I switched from a moderatly modded WRX to the 3.2 and this car is quicker than my WRX was once I converted it back to stock before I traded it in. If you want REAL power, try this site.

http://hpamotorsports.com/products_t...ngle_audi3.htm

Old 04-20-2006, 06:16 AM
1st Gear

Mike, thanks for the info and the link.

I went from an '06 WRX STI to the A3 3.2. I gave up 50hp and 62 ft/lb TQ to buy a car that weighs as much, according to the latest Car and Driver, as a 5-Series Bimmer, so the adjustment to the much slower A3 has been difficult for me. In fact, the STI bests the A3 3.2 in just about every objective measure of performance and handling (a stock '06 STI will run the quarter in 13 seconds flat). Unfortunately, the STI's rock-hard suspension and rock-hard seats beat the crap out of my spine. Non-existent soundproofing in the STI didn't score points with me either. The A3 is more comfortable, and much better built than the Subie, and in the end, its overall refinement carried the day.

Still, I want more power for my Audi, so I'll probably pursue the Neuspeed and Revo software upgrades when they're available, providing they perform as advertised.