Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

MT stiffness, shifting habits

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 03:24 AM
Default MT stiffness, shifting habits

I've had my A3 for almost 3 months now and one thing I've noticed is that my MT is not as smooth as that of my prev. car, 03 Golf. It just seems like it's a little harder to shift back and forth. I don't know if it is cause the transmission is new and so it will get smoother with time or what.

I remember being able to shift so fast with my old car that it would make the acceleration real smooth, 'almost' like an auto trans. but i can't quite do that with my A3 yet.
For instance shifting between 1st and 2nd seems to be a little stiff whereas sh. between 2nd and 3rd seems smoother.

I just hope the the trans will eventually get as smooth as that of my old Golf.

One more thing I noticed when i went from a 5 speed non-turbo to a 6 speed turbo is that i found myself skipping 1 or 2 gears when accelerating. That is i sometimes go from 2nd to 4th or from 3rd to 5th, etc., trying to get to 6th quicker.

I guess with the turbo one gets a much faster acceleration that it seems like too much work to go through all the gears to get to 6th.

i'm just curious to learn if you guys have similar shifting habits or if im the only wacko around![&:][&:]

Old 05-20-2007, 03:42 AM
Default RE: MT stiffness, shifting habits

yeah i've noticed that it takes quitea bit more effort to get that "auto-feel" with the MT, my girlfriend's neon is really easy to get smooth.
guess it just takes a little practice and gettin used to....
i have the problem of the "head bob" when shifting...
(i think its ok tho, ive just been driving MT for 2 months now)

Old 05-20-2007, 01:55 PM

Just keep your shifts smooth and the transmission will loosen up with time. I often skip gears when shifting and if you rev the car up fully in 2nd, you can actually skip to 6th and still be at 2k rpms. If done correctly, skipping some gears can actually help to improve your mileage. Just do a little reading or practical research.

Cheers!

Old 05-20-2007, 02:03 PM

im sure it will get better when its run in

Old 05-20-2007, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Chef

skipping some gears can actually help to improve your mileage.
no doubt. that's one of the main reasons for skipping gears. i love it when my avg mpg is in the upper 20's.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:35 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

Just keep your shifts smooth and the transmission will loosen up with time. I often skip gears when shifting and if you rev the car up fully in 2nd, you can actually skip to 6th and still be at 2k rpms. If done correctly, skipping some gears can actually help to improve your mileage. Just do a little reading or practical research.

Cheers!
lol that is the craziest thing I have ever heard[8D]

Old 05-21-2007, 12:31 AM
1st Gear

The only problem here is the US speed limit that does not allow us to efficiently go through the gears…

Skipping a gear is not a problem as long as the revs are there and downshifting 2 gears (5th to 3rd) is sometimes necessary in order to gain back the traction. I have not yet gone from 2nd to 6th, but if Chef said it is possible… I would personally at least go to 4th??? I will check for myself tomorrow...

Anyway, correct me if I wrong (I am a user, not a technician) but the lifespan of a MT transmission is basically “fixed” in the sense that it is assumed you are going to be more time in 6th gear than 5th, more in 5th than 4th, etc. Thus, we should sift upwards whenever possible and it will also save your MT and obtain better mileage...
Testing the DSG, I noticed that accelerating normally, I guessed I would have been in 3rd gear in a MT and I was already in 5th with the DSG, not only is the DSG more efficient at shifting than us doing it by hand but it will shift upwards very rapidly and thus, it makes sense that the mileage of the DSG is better than MT. Still, I will not give up my MT for anything!!!!!

The whole idea of having a MT is to play with the gears but the advantage is to be in the right gear at the right moment and not let, even a slick DSG system, do it for you. IMO….

I do have one question if someone has the answer, if you go from 0-65 in order to cruise at 65mph on the highway (we never speed since that would be illegal...). Is it better to shift as soon as possible and slowly get to 65 or go full throttle on 1st 2nd and be on our way to 65mph in about 7 seconds for us stock people (yes Chef, you will be there sooner). Which uses the most gas? What is the most efficient way to get to 65mph? The High [rev] or the Low [rev] way?

Old 05-21-2007, 01:08 AM
1st Gear

Actually, I think in between is most efficient - accelerate briskly but not hard, shift as early as possible considering the engines torque curve.Ease off as you near cruising speed.. I think that the 2.0 T isat it's most efficient under verylight boost.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:22 AM

any time if you eazy on the gas padel and shift on low rpm saves gas

Old 05-21-2007, 02:22 AM

ORIGINAL: olivier

The whole idea of having a MT is to play with the gears but the advantage is to be in the right gear at the right moment and not let, even a slick DSG system, do it for you. IMO….
i couldn't agree more. manual shifting is half the fun of driving!

ORIGINAL: olivier

I do have one question if someone has the answer, if you go from 0-65 in order to cruise at 65mph on the highway (we never speed since that would be illegal...). Is it better to shift as soon as possible and slowly get to 65 or go full throttle on 1st 2nd and be on our way to 65mph in about 7 seconds for us stock people (yes Chef, you will be there sooner). Which uses the most gas? What is the most efficient way to get to 65mph? The High [rev] or the Low [rev] way?
my guess would also be low rev

Quick Reply: MT stiffness, shifting habits