Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

My car is locking me out

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 PM
1st Gear
Default My car is locking me out

This has happened twice now. After driving the car, I stop the car, put it in park, get out and close the door while the engine is running. The door locks when I close it. I've been lucky so far - the first time the window was partially open and the second time I was close to home so I could get the spare keys. Has this happened to anyone else?

Old 11-27-2007, 11:34 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: My car is locking me out

hasnt happened to me, but that always worries me for some reason -- guess my worry is warranted now.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

Weird...

My cheap-o Volvo automatically unlocks the door when you shut it (only when the keys are in the ignition) even if the door is already unlocked to prevent you from locking your keys in!...

I figured the A3 would do the same thing... I've left it running for 10 minutes while I went inside and it was unlocked. I know the doors lock automatically at 10 or 15mph, it might have something to do with that.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:19 PM
2nd Gear

The A3 is not supposed to do this. In fact, when I got my A3 the salesman kept talking up how it is impossible to lock your key in the car except by closing them in the hatch area. My car has never locked me out when the engine was running. For that matter, when I get out and don't lock the doors, the car automatically locks all of the doors except the driver's door after a certain amount of time. If you take the car to the dealer, maybe you should mention it next time your in. They may just have to make an adjustment with a vag tool (like when the windows stop rolling down with one touch).

Old 11-29-2007, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: BAMF

The A3 is not supposed to do this. In fact, when I got my A3 the salesman kept talking up how it is impossible to lock your key in the car except by closing them in the hatch area. My car has never locked me out when the engine was running. For that matter, when I get out and don't lock the doors, the car automatically locks all of the doors except the driver's door after a certain amount of time. If you take the car to the dealer, maybe you should mention it next time your in. They may just have to make an adjustment with a vag tool (like when the windows stop rolling down with one touch).
It hasn't done it again, but whenever I get out with the engine running, I'm leaving my window down a bit. I was going to mention it on the next trip to the dealer, but thought maybe somehere has had the same thing happen or maybe there was a tech bullentin out. I have a VAGCom, but haven't made any changes in quite a while, so I don't think it would be that, but you never know.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

It happend to me when I had some other person on the pasenger seat, but never happend when I was by myself in the car.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

It has happended three more times in the last three days. Once at the carwash where they were able to break into the car, once at my mailbox where I could walk home to get the spare key and once with someone else in the car to unlock it for me. I'm definately taking it to the shop now, but I've got to wait a couple weeks because I've got a lot of work-related travel coming up.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:41 AM
1st Gear

It seems beneficial simply to keep the key on your person rather than left in the ignition. Certainly not worth the hassle.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:00 PM
1st Gear

The only times my A3 will lock itself is whenI reach 11 mph, or, if locked andI remotely unlock it, then don't open a door (or the hatch) for a short period of time, it will lock itself again.

Does yours do either of these?

Also, did it do this before you made the VAGCOM adjustments?

Old 01-06-2008, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Blue Jays

It seems beneficial simply to keep the key on your person rather than left in the ignition. Certainly not worth the hassle.
A good short term fix, but hard to do at the carwash and something I shouldn't have to do.

Quick Reply: My car is locking me out