Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

My new 2012 A3 1.8T suddenly turns off as I am driving..

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default My new 2012 A3 1.8T suddenly turns off as I am driving..

Hi,
Does anyone else have this problem.
When I drive and am going round a corner slow or slow in general, it turns off. The only thing left on is the battery sign in red and I have to our gear in P and start car again. I have taken it to dealers and they said it was fine and could not find fault so I picked it up again and still had the same problem.
I live in Mexico and the dealers here do not give a damn and are telling us its not their fault... nice, great customer service. If I had known this I would have been safer buying a used car and not a new one. And so much for Audi customer service.
Anyway I would really like to know if anyone else has the same problem???
Im quite upset as I know that if you receive a car with problems.. it will always have problems.
Thanks,
A

Old 10-24-2011, 12:18 PM
1st Gear
Default same thing happened to me....

Hi there,

Funny that how it looks like its only you and me with the same problem.....I have A3 1.8T and my oil sump was crack licking oil so i took it to the garage and they change my oil sump and check everything and this was last week.....since then my car turns on ok and drives off ok and when i am about to turn Right or on the right side of roundabout my car suddenly turn off.....battery light comes on and i have to put on P and wait few second and start the engine again and it will be fine for a while and then suddenly same thing again so in the last 2 days i am trying to phone my garage and ask them what did they done to my car but ofcourse i can't get thru so seeing your post on here with exactly same problems i thought i will post the same threat but unfortinatly i didn't have chance to find out yet whats wrong ....i tried to read some threats which say about car turning off while driving and they point different issues so i hope you can sort out your audi and let us know what was wrong
Regards

Old 10-24-2011, 05:47 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Fezz76
Hi,
Does anyone else have this problem.
When I drive and am going round a corner slow or slow in general, it turns off. The only thing left on is the battery sign in red and I have to our gear in P and start car again. I have taken it to dealers and they said it was fine and could not find fault so I picked it up again and still had the same problem.
I live in Mexico and the dealers here do not give a damn and are telling us its not their fault... nice, great customer service. If I had known this I would have been safer buying a used car and not a new one. And so much for Audi customer service.
Anyway I would really like to know if anyone else has the same problem???
Im quite upset as I know that if you receive a car with problems.. it will always have problems.
Thanks,
A
I've heard of similar issues like this.
When did this problem start occurring?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:12 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Same problem

It happened for a month and each time I took it to the dealer they tested it and Murphys Law... nothing happened. I took it twice and in the end I gave up. The car stops every so often and I just live with it.. however, touch wood, it had not happened for about 10 days... will keep you posted. If it gets worse I can take it to dealers and with any luck with computer connected to car it may happen to them... but last time I took it they did 200km in it and nothing! As as soon as I took it home it happened haahha.
Anyway will keep you posted in case I can sort it out.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:10 AM
1st Gear
Default i thinbk i have found the fault

Hi all and hello Fezz76....mine hasn't done it for 2 days now thanks God, but this morning my Engine management light on the dashboard ( the yellow/orange one) came on. I did come thru some reviews about car turning off while driving or when you turn on roundabouts or slow down and all of them pointed on MAF sensor or some call it Air mass flow sensor/meter being fault.
So after the engine management light came on i took it to friend of mine to read the code (for free) and indeed it was pointing on MAF sensor.
So i am going to get one and replace it myself as it takes 5 minutes to do it yourself.
I believe your Audi has the same fault and if its not MAF then it can be coolant sensor......i would suggest you take your audi and ask them to read the ECU and see if it comes with any faulty codes......To know if its MAF you can remove MAF sensor and see if the car runs better without MAF sensor and if it does then is 100% MAF sensor gone and need replace.

I call AUDI dealers and some 3rd party dealers and all of them quoted me over £130 (200 buks) but if you look on ebay or online you will come across MAF sensors much cheaper, just be sure it will fit to your Audi according to ur MAF sensor number which is on the part itself and Reg number and engine number..... in my case my engine number is AUM and is about £35 (50 buks).

I hope this helped and i will let you know hows mine doing as soon i get the part and i change it.
Thank you

Old 10-27-2011, 10:55 AM
1st Gear
Wink i thinbk i have found the fault

@Shimmy - Nice one although you should take it to dealer as you still have your guarantee.
When they plugged mine into computer they could not find a problem. They also drove with the computer connected to the car and nothing.
As it has not happened for a while I will wait, but I'm sure it will happen again. I will tell the dealers here what you wrote and see what they say???
Good job man! Thanks!

Old 10-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Former Sponsor

As a shot in the dark, how about an intermittently bad crash sensor? I wonder if something triggers the cars auto safety fuel shutoff feature. Maybe it thinks it's rolled or in an accident and shuts off voltage to the fuel pump? I would think a code would come up for that though, and your dealer said none were found.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

I telephone AUDI vendors and some 3rd celebration vendors and all of them offered me over £130 (200 buks) but if you look on auction web sites or on the internet you will come across MAF alerts much more cost-effective, just be sure it will fit to your Mercedes according to Ur MAF indicator amount which is on the piece itself and Reg amount and power plant amount in my situation my power plant amount is AUM and is about £35 (50 buks).

Old 12-08-2011, 08:37 AM
1st Gear
Default my car turning off...

Hello to all,
As i mention in my comments before in my case it was a MAF faulty, but just yesterday my friend had same problem.....the car was turning on, driving ok, and then on the roundabouts or when turning to park on right the car will go off on his own mind.....so the same symptoms as my car used to do.
So i my friend took his car to the garage and they couldn't find anything, however after few days engine management light turned on on his dashboard and the car was behaving turning off often, which if you are driving on motor-way can be tricky and dangerous. He took it to the garage again and no fault could be found and for his bad luck engine management light was off, so the computer couldn't read any faults ( or at least thats what he was told by service man in the garage)
So he decide on Sunday to bring the car to me and so we can look at together, as i have a bit of experience and knowledge about Audi cars ( been driving only Audi cars since i have driving licence lol)
I check his MAF and tested and the MAF was ok and working fine so MAF wasn't a problem, then i check and test the Dump Valve or someone calls it DV and its usally connected to the N249. SO i check the pipes coming from DV and going to DV and one pipe had a small tiny split, so we change that pipe, no problem....then i took off to check his DV and after i tested the DV was faulty, we gone to parts shop and bought new DV for his audi ( original part) and it cost £35, change it and the car is running like crazy, engine management light has gone off and hasn't come back, the car is not turning off while driving or parking and acceleration response has imporoved. So anyone with similar problem maybe this post might help but no matter what it is good to check pipes in Audi as often they can be faulty
I am still waiting for my beer from my friend since fixing his audi :-) lol