AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   To nav or not to nav: that is the qustion (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/nav-not-nav-qustion-49858/)

jlinaschke 12-24-2006 09:06 PM

To nav or not to nav: that is the qustion

Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase an A3 3.2 quattro in the spring, and the biggest creeping question I have is about the nav system. I tried going to a dealer to talk about it, to get the questions answered that I couldn't get off the dealer website, but the guy I spoke with wasn't terribly helpful. Guess it's to be expected. So, here I turn to the greatest knowledge database of all time, the internet ;-)

I'm on love with the A3, however the (seemingly) advanced nav systems found in todays Acura's have me wondering if Audi isn't selling us short. I want voice activation. I want real-time traffic. I want a nav/entertainment system that doesn't require taking my eyes off the road for 30 seconds at a time -- or a copilot -- to operate (thank you, iDrive). I want to plug in my iPod (although I'd be happy with an aux-in port really; no one seems to do iPod navigation right so what's the point, I may as well just play direct from the iPod)

So maybe the right thing to do is to buy an A3 without nav and have a third-party system installed. But here's where the questions start. The A3, like any decent car, has both stereo and bluetooth (handsfree phone) controls on the steering wheel. This is nice. Are these controls, and the stereo and bluetooth systems themselves, tied into the Audi nav or are they separate? Meaning, can I install a 3rd party nav or nav+stereo or nav+stereo+bluetooth and still have control on the steering column? Can the stock buttons be re-wired to a 3rd party system? Do the buttons only come installed when you buy the nav (I would think so), and so can you get them as service parts to add? Or would a 3rd party system come with its own, Audi-looking buttons? Do I buy the A3 with stereo, and bluetooth, but no nav? Or, do I buy it without any of those things and get it all as one complete 3rd party system? In this case, can the A3 come pre-wired at least to make installation easier? (I'm planning on ordering mine to get exactly what I want instead of picking one off the lot).

I haven't shopped any installation stores yet, as these days it feels like it's impossible to get impartial service for anything like this. I'm in San Jose, CA so would also appreciate any advice on quality, reputable places to take a brand new A3 into to get this work done. That said I'll take advice on a good dealer, too. The Audio on Stevens Creek is a nice place, but the guy helping me didn't seem that interested. Hate that. I mean, I realize a $40k A3 may be chump change on a lot like that, but it's a big deal to me! ;-) Maybe I just got the wrong guy, so again any suggestion on dealer and salesman would be great.

I'll also take any advice on the 3rd party system itself. Alpine has something that looks awfully nice, but not cheap (although probably not any more expensive than a stock system). But I haven't looked too deeply yet as I'm first trying to figure out if I need nav only, or nav+stereo, etc.

Another thought... what about portable vs. built-in systems? The thought of taking my nav with me when I travel and jump in a rental car is certainly appealing. Although I think I'd sacrifice that for a larger touch-screen that you seem to get on built-in's, but maybe you can get best of both worlds?

Thanks everyone. I know this is a rambler, but I'm just starting down this road so my questions aren't even fully formed yet.

cheers (and merry christmas!) from a soon-to-be A3 owner!

jbrx7tt 12-24-2006 10:03 PM

RE: To nav or not to nav: that is the qustion

I have to admit I love my nav system, there is nothing like it being built in to the car, I don't care what anyone says. Plus having the SD card slots & the bluetooth is great as well. I sometimes use the SD cards and sometimes my iPod (which was a breeze to install) - $69.00 for the kit + the keys to pull the 6 disc changer out.

Aestetically it really looks nice too. I personally think it all works well together, easy to jump between screens, use ofthe system & easy to input destinations - plus the Sirius stations are all listed nicely with a description of what is playing and favs etc. It is a nice size screen too! I think it would be cool to have a voice interface, but for the most part you can preset destinations in there and find from a list. There are a good number of options in there. You can find Audi nav systems on eBay and have it installed aftermarket, but I think that is a lot of BS to go through, I think if you have the choice in the beginning, why spend a whole bunch of time trying a custom install which could be problematic. I guess if you are spending 40k, whynot just spend a little extra cash for the nav. I do not know about making the steering wheel controls work with an outside system, I would assume it will.

I am not sure about real time traffic, but I would think it would have less to do with the system and more the service that is available to the car, but I don't know a whole lot about it. It would be great! As with any nav system, there are faults and they do not always give you the best route, especially if you know your area they may not provide the quickest route, but that is the same with any nav system.

If I were in your shoes and you consider the nav an important and useful feature, I would get it in the car. Have any specific questions let me know.....Good luck!

Deleted User 12-25-2006 12:21 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

JohnS1 12-25-2006 12:53 AM

ORIGINAL: playa256

The nav system on audi's is a step down from pretty much all cars made, IMHO. Comparing it to the Acura is like comparing the bodies of Carmen Elektra and the fat chick who lives down the street. Go for the third party one.
Since Audi is trying to sell you old technology see these Pioneer NAV units.
AVIC-D2 $1500 list
AVIC-N3 $1800 list
AVIC-Z1 $2500 list
I think this show's a little of what out there as far as NAV technology available.

jlinaschke 12-25-2006 01:03 AM

ORIGINAL: jbrx7tt

I sometimes use the SD cards and sometimes my iPod (which was a breeze to install) - $69.00 for the kit + the keys to pull the 6 disc changer out.

<snip>

I am not sure about real time traffic, but I would think it would have less to do with the system and more the service that is available to the car, but I don't know a whole lot about it. It would be great! As with any nav system, there are faults and they do not always give you the best route, especially if you know your area they may not provide the quickest route, but that is the same with any nav system.
Is this the Audi iPod interface? Does it show track info, etc on the car display, and does it let you navigate easily? I had a system from Monster once that only let you play the first six playlists... wow was that lame.

Traffic is something integrated with XM radio, AFAIK, and has to be built into the system. The ability to avoid traffic on the daily commute is huge to me.

Thanks
-Joseph

jlinaschke 12-25-2006 01:04 AM

The nav system on audi's is a step down from pretty much all cars made, IMHO. Comparing it to the Acura is like comparing the bodies of Carmen Elektra and the fat chick who lives down the street. Go for the third party one.
Haha... I love the analogy. So any third party recommendations? I don't have Carmen's number <g>

-Joseph

jlinaschke 12-25-2006 01:04 AM

ORIGINAL: JohnS1

Since Audi is trying to sell you old technology see these Pioneer NAV units.
AVIC-D2 $1500 list
AVIC-N3 $1800 list
AVIC-Z1 $2500 list
I think this show's a little of what out there as far as NAV technology available.

I will check all of those out, thanks a bunch.

-joseph

JohnS1 12-25-2006 04:25 AM

Interesting SITE dedicated to Audi NAV. I'm also seeing some slightly used Nav Plus's on Ebay (pulled from A4's or A6's).

Deleted User 12-25-2006 04:51 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

JohnS1 12-25-2006 05:21 AM

ORIGINAL: JohnS1

Interesting SITE dedicated to Audi NAV. I'm also seeing some slightly used Nav Plus's on Ebay (pulled from A4's or A6's).
We're all against the audi nav system. Now he's looking for something from a 3rd party.
Right..enough big talk, what third party gear have you found that is adaptable to the A3? [8D]
BTW the link was related to the topic because of schematics and other documentation if you want to replace the NAV plus.
Ebay was interesting because a couple of folk were trying to sell theirs for $800. (consider Audi wants $1950)

Deleted User 12-25-2006 06:11 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

JohnS1 12-25-2006 06:50 AM

ORIGINAL: jlinaschke
Another thought... what about portable vs. built-in systems? The thought of taking my nav with me when I travel and jump in a rental car is certainly appealing. Although I think I'd sacrifice that for a larger touch-screen that you seem to get on built-in's, but maybe you can get best of both worlds?
cheers (and merry christmas!) from a soon-to-be A3 owner!
Portability aside, the TomTom, Garmen, and like, all have problems with being too limited in display size, information presented on display is small, and some poor interface problems. You tend to pre-program them before driving and listen to them while driving. Nothing more fun then seeing one of the window mount specials (not legal to mount this way in some states) fall on lap while you are driving.

The built-in system doesn't usually have these problems due to better interface and larger display size, plus you can secure them. Of course one of the downsides of getting a nice third-part NAV is that it does attract thieves, just like car stereo.

Deleted User 12-25-2006 02:50 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

cshecks 12-26-2006 12:08 AM

Having been an owner of a 2006 A4 w/ navi i would definitely say no. I sold my car due to the escalating gas prices and having to use premium.........i would never buy Audi Navi as an add on again. My sisters 07 honda civic is far superior, voice activated, touch screen...audi has neither, just an archaic twist dial system which takes forever...........

Deleted User 12-26-2006 01:52 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

qst4 12-26-2006 04:25 AM

My two cents follows: The Nav system in any vehicle is just a tech option or basically a cool to have thing. I've been debating installing an aftermarket RNS-E but all of the metrics are telling me it is not practical. The only real need it will satisfy is my own desire to have something cool in the car. That's not a bad thing. If you have the money, cool do it. There are better aftermarket systems that can be installed at the same price as someone listed above. But in the case of resale it would probably be better to have a factory audi system. I saw your same post on AW and would recommend you look at the proclip garmin nuvi solution someone posted. I like the garmin because it can be moved from car to car if you have more than one car and can be hand carried in a messenger bag if you are on vacation somewhere. Which for me is more practical then possibly installing two nav systems in each car. What I do like about the audi system is again it is factory fits properly in the car (I would be more likely to buy a car with its factory nav then with an aftermarket). The factor Nav also performs the media interface function so you can see you Sat stations listed and song titles from music on the SD cards, which the Nuvi won't do for you. From my own thinking on this subject for the past two months (lol) it is really up to you and what your personal needs are. I also did the math. If I bought Maps over buying a Nav systems it would take 60 years for the cost of buying maps to approach the cost of a NAV systems in current dollars. Just something to think about.

Jefferson 12-26-2006 06:31 AM

I bought the nav/sound and I'm glad I did. I had the same questions as you and was pretty set to get the aftermarket portable. However, this seemed to add a certainly level of cheapness to the audi the more I thought about it. I did worry about theft, having it fall off, etc.But most notably was worried about taking my eyes off the road more for one of these. The reviews for these systems by Garmin and others are pretty good. They even do voice and bluetooth. Not to mention the ability to go into other cars, and some have the new traffic info too.

But the nav/sound package is nice. This option is expensive, but breaking down the price you can come to a realization that it is much more than a GPS system. The sound is awesome. The CD changer is still a must (despite iPods), the SD card slots are a nice compromise with modern MP3 sound and the whole thing acts as your interface to other car functions: Radio, CD, SD, Bluetooth, etc. And, the system even interfaces to the display between the tach and the odometer. Your navigation directions will be displayed right there with your critical trip information. Also your radio/CD/MP3 choice is shown there, and the buttons on the steering wheel control it all. (and the lady's voice on the nav system is very nice.)

All that said, I've seen other systems (like the Acura RDX) that have traffic information, touch screen, etc. on theirs. That would be cool to have but looking at the Acuras and Hondas their aesthetics on the dash really turn me off. I know they've had good reviews, but the buttons and dials seem so plasticy (sp?) and the screen integration could be a lot more sleek, Like the Audi. They fit this screen in the A3 so nice. It is subtle but in the perfect user friendly position, and the buttons are non-obtrusive and make great sense.

I figure the traffic information isn't ready for primetime yet. I'm sure it works, but is not installed in a lot of cities and surely won't be installed in any place that I want to use my system. (isn't that the way it always is? ha ha) I mean, when I'm travelling I'm usually off on some mountain road where it's more important for me to know where I am and where I want to go. I'm sure they don't have traffic info in the mountains.

With any nav system you have to use caution with it taking attention away from the road. Inputting destinations while driving with the Audi is a no-no and I'd be curious how the others handle it as well. I plug in my destination before I go, or I have a copilot. Otherwise, Nav is just on and I can look at the map if I need too.

I've made several posts about this a couple months back I believe. I'm going to bed! I'm on the west coast too!

Oh yeah, you were asking about dealers. Well I went to Stevens Creek too, and had the same experience. The salesman was nice enough (I had Phil) but there seemed to be no real motivation for him to sell me a car. He had my number and never called me back. I ended up ordering my car from Ernst up at Diablo. It was a good experience all around for us.

illwork4sumbread 12-26-2006 02:21 PM

Here is your issue in a nutshell:

If you want a clean cut, executive looking cock pit with a navigation feature, get the factory installed.

If you want a notch below executive with supperior functionality and features, go aftermarket.

Pretty simple; just depends what you want in a car.

JohnS1 12-26-2006 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: illwork4sumbread

If you want a clean cut, executive looking cock pit with a navigation feature, get the factory installed.

If you want a notch below executive with supperior functionality and features, go aftermarket.

The choice between going third party with more features versus Audi's does rest on how you want the interior of your A3 to look like. As long as you went with the Bose option, the interior bracket is double-din and you can swap out the radio for RNS-E unit in future as possibility.

jlinaschke 12-26-2006 05:57 PM

Thanks to everyone for the advice. While some seem pleased/satisfied with the Audi Nav, I've heard enough bad things be turned off of it. Even if it works exactly as advertised, it doesn't have voice control or traffic, two things I really do want in a nav system.

Advice on resale value of the car with a 3rd party vs. stock is very valid. I think what I'll do is order the car with the most basic stereo, and swap that out with a 3rd party unit. When it comes time to sell, I can decide then whether to put the stock back in and take the nav with me to my next car, or sell it with, or pull it and eBay it. Plus that'll probably make it easier to install the 3rd party system.

Also thanks for the feedback on Stevens Creek Audi. I had Von, nice enough guy, but really didn't seem that interested. Concord is way too far to go for me to find a good dealer, but there's gotta be something decent in-between.

The Pioneer nav units sure look nice, I'll have to check them out in person.

Thanks again everyone!

JohnS1 12-26-2006 10:22 PM

Also thanks for the feedback on Stevens Creek Audi. I had Von, nice enough guy, but really didn't seem that interested. Concord is way too far to go for me to find a good dealer, but there's gotta be something decent in-between.
In Palo Alto by 101 you have Carlsen Audi.
This LINK shows all around SF Bay area.

jbrx7tt 12-27-2006 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: illwork4sumbread

I think this really sums it up well. Those who do not have it in dash do notget the same "integrated" aesthetic experience when they sit in the cockpit of their Audi. It really functions well as an overall system, nav is just one feature in the overall scheme of it. If you are a power driver that relies on the nav each and everytime you get in the car, I am sure there are better systems out there.

As far as comparing to an Acura or Honda, well neither of those two cars are that desirable for me personally. I would rather have the car that I want, with a less than perfect nav system then get a nav system w/ a less than ideal car for myself.

Good luck.

jbrx7tt 12-27-2006 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: jbrx7tt

I sometimes use the SD cards and sometimes my iPod (which was a breeze to install) - $69.00 for the kit + the keys to pull the 6 disc changer out.

<snip>

Is this the Audi iPod interface? Does it show track info, etc on the car display, and does it let you navigate easily? I had a system from Monster once that only let you play the first six playlists... wow was that lame.

Traffic is something integrated with XM radio, AFAIK, and has to be built into the system. The ability to avoid traffic on the daily commute is huge to me.

Thanks
-Joseph
Hi Joseph, I just have the blitzsafe cable that fits into the CD changer connection & runs to my iPod. No, it does not integrate into the steering wheel controls, I simply have it velcroed to the inside of the right hand side of those little bars in the middle and when I want to change it, I use the iPod controls. The SD card slots show the MP3 titles & do work with the steering wheel controls. I have had iPods hooked up to four different cars, and for me, none of the controls (like my old Alpine system had) really can match the controls of the iPods itself.

Hope that helps...Jon

jlinaschke 01-20-2007 03:59 PM

Just thought you'd all like to hear my final (ha!) decision since you were all so helpful in my initial inquiry...

I am going to buy the A3 withOUT nav and withOUT the "technology package" which includes the bluetooth integration. Instead, I'll buy the TomTom GO 910, which is really an impressive nav system for under $600. The only feature it does not have that I wanted was voice control, but it does everything else, including traffic. And, it has bluetooth integration to your phone, so that adds that capability as well. Finally it even offers iPod connectivity!

The only missing link is to connect the TomTom to the Audi's audio system. The TomTom comes with a standard 3.5" line-out, but AFAIK the Audi has no line-in?

If anyone knows a way to connect a standard audio connection to the Audi I'd love to hear about it! Otherwise, I'm going shopping this weekend and buying next weekend. Gonna put the pressure on 'em for a last weekend of the month sale ;-)

wish me luck! God I can't wait...

-Joseph

A3Night 01-20-2007 04:35 PM

Keep your recipt for the tomtom... I'm releasing a product mid feburary that should keep you guys interested ;)

jlinaschke 01-20-2007 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: A3Night

Keep your recipt for the tomtom... I'm releasing a product mid feburary that should keep you guys interested ;)

OK that's just mean!! ;-) Any hints? I haven't bought the TomTom yet…

see, just when I think I've got it all figured out! LOL

-Joseph

gklinger 01-20-2007 05:20 PM

I am going to buy the A3 withOUT nav and withOUT the "technology package"...

-Joseph
I'd rethink the technology package... I just picked up my A3 with Tech Pkg and without Navigation on Wednesday. The Bluetooth integration into the car, with the steering wheel controls is really slick. Plus, you get the xenon headlights and auto wipers, which are both great options. Well worth the price of admission, IMHO.

JohnS1 01-20-2007 06:00 PM

I also would second that recommendation on getting the technology package. The bluetooth aspect is minor compared to the other features of this package. The adaptive xenon headlights make a huge difference during night driving [sm=smiley20.gif] , and the Light/Rain sensor + auto-dimming mirror features make driving in rain and night a pleasure. Compare the front end look also. If you not big on the open-sky get a hard top and keep this option.

jlinaschke 01-20-2007 06:18 PM

Interesting. Perhaps I wasn't clear on what the adaptive lights do. I also (probably falsely) assumed the tech package and the nav came together as "standard" configurations.

I definitely want the open sky system, I really like the look of that, and enjoy having a sunroof. Next best thing to a convertible ;-)

OK then! I'll be sure to look for that tech package.

Still can't wait for this baby… hehe

-J

JohnS1 01-20-2007 09:25 PM

Interesting. Perhaps I wasn't clear on what the adaptive lights do. I also (probably falsely) assumed the tech package and the nav came together as "standard" configurations.

The adaptive Xenon lights will turn a few degree's in the direction you are turning so that you can see something around a curve instead of running into it. They are not fixed direction like Xenon's in the VW GTI/GLI series. Also the cell phone interface connector for bluetooth is located inside the arm rest, so your cell doesn't have to be mounted on the dash. All you need to do is wear a bluetooth head set while driving. The bluetooth transceiver it directly below the arm rest.

Best of luck on your decision!

jlinaschke 01-29-2007 03:50 PM

Hey all,

Thanks SO much for your help through this process. As I mentioned in an earlier post, for financial reasons (what else could there be!) I decided to buy a used A4 instead of a new A3. The good news though is that I did still buy Audi (!!), and that I absolutely LOVE my car. So I guess this concludes my posting in the A3 area, but I have to say that I'll become a regular of the A4 forum. The community on here has been tremendous and I want to be a part of it. So, welcome (me!) to the Audi club!! ;-)

cheers all,
-Joseph

joelsindc 06-02-2007 05:03 PM

great ideas here wrt Audi Nav and aftermarket NAV. I opted for Audi Nav and while it is cool, and nice. the lack of touch screen is a major drawback. anyone have any pictures of the aftermarket ones installed? I have the garmin nuvi(GREAT device btw), but integrated would be nice...

JohnS1 06-02-2007 07:00 PM

Finally we are starting to see some nice compact NAV units come out. I am real tired of certain brands such as Garmin overcharging for what you get. LG has the $449.95 (LN740), $349.95 (LN735), or $299.95 (LN730) available at Circuit City chain stores, which all feature brilliant touch-screen LCD's ranging in size from 3.5- to 4-inches, turn-by-turn voice guidance, super-slim cases for enhanced portability, and millions of points-of-interest across the United States and Canada. Then here is now the 4.3 " screen Magellan Maestro 4050 for around $699.95 which offers both voice and command control capacity.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25886/BBA8798FC7544FDE8E06FA5FCF251985.jpg[/IMG]LG LN730

[IMG]local://upfiles/25886/BB7F1418CCEC463F879001D30660DDD4.jpg[/IMG]LG LN735

[IMG]local://upfiles/25886/92419C53241B497F846C159664854DA1.jpg[/IMG]LG LN740

[IMG]local://upfiles/25886/8E9763F155364B5F917BD40E9DF5F881.jpg[/IMG]Maestro 4050