Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New A3 2.0T Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 06:37 PM
1st Gear
Default New A3 2.0T Questions

So I pulled the trigger and bought a new A3 2.0T last weekend in Virginia. I'd had enough of my 1998 Honda Accord and wanted to enjoy driving for once! Here's my setup:

- Light silver metalic, black leather interior
- Premium package
- Cold weather package
- Bose package w/ Sirius
- LoJack (I live in DC so it makes me more comfortable)

I paid $250 over invoice for a 2007 model - not a bad deal. The dealer told me while I was signing the paperwork that Audi is offering them incentives to sell them because they're not selling very well (as least in our area). Therefore they have more of a cushion around their invoice price.

So far I'm in love and my favorite part of the day is my 30 minute commute each way to work! It's like driving a go cart, a very fast go cart. I don't even have to touch the brakes on most off ramps from the highway because it handles like a dream. Let's see your SUV do that? The Bose stereo is amazing too especially with high quality recordings.

Questions/Gripes:
- How do you turn on/off the fog lights?
- Controlling Sirius with the steering wheel controls is kind of a pain.
- The steering wheel thumb controls for the radio are super sensitive so I end up skipping two songs sometimes instead of one.
- My right knee rubs up against the center console which isn't ideal, but life goes on.
- It appears that there are two trip counters for distance traveled. How do you switch between them?
- The "Mode" button on the steering wheel should allow you to switch between FM, CD, Sirius, etc.
- The little tray on the dash above the stereo is useless! What does everyone use that for?
- I wish the power outlet was under the dash, not under the arm rest.

Anyway, all of that aside it is a BLAST to drive this car! I seriously look forward to my commute every day and am anxious to see what my mileage turns out to be.

Does anyone have other issues or questions?

Old 08-11-2006, 07:36 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: New A3 2.0T Questions

Congratulations, that sounds like a very good deal with the "invoice" that the dealer showed you matches Edmund's. Good call on not getting the Open Sky, the extra weight on top makes a noticeable difference handling-wise.

Fog lights are turned on by pulling the entire switch towards you. You have to turn on at least the corner markers first. The tray above the stereo is good for storing business cards, parking passes, etc. Don't know about your other questions as I have the sport package, which is more basic.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:53 PM
2nd Gear

- How do you turn on/off the fog lights?
- Pull on the light switch when your headlamps are on... if you have fog lights
- Controlling Sirius with the steering wheel controls is kind of a pain.
- I bet
- The steering wheel thumb controls for the radio are super sensitive so I end up skipping two songs sometimes instead of one.
- Yes they are... use caution
- My right knee rubs up against the center console which isn't ideal, but life goes on.
- You must be tall...
- It appears that there are two trip counters for distance traveled. How do you switch between them?
- Use your wiper stalk... it has a reset button and a rocker swtich on the outerside
- The "Mode" button on the steering wheel should allow you to switch between FM, CD, Sirius, etc.
- Only works if you have NAVI
- The little tray on the dash above the stereo is useless! What does everyone use that for?
- I keep my Office Parking Magnetic card there. I like it because it doesn't go anywhere if I decide to drive aggressivly.
- I wish the power outlet was under the dash, not under the arm rest.
- You can always mod it to but it wherever you like

Congrats on the purchase... now go chip it and be even happier! I would've been a d*ck and say [sm=icon_rtfm.gif] ... but even I didn't read my manual soo....

Old 08-11-2006, 08:27 PM
1st Gear

As for the steering wheel thumb controls, I noticed mine somewhat got "broken in" and weren't as sensitive after use. Either that, or you just get used to them. I used to have the same problem and thumbed through two songs, but it's not a problem anymore.

I noticed this on the auto up/down windows too. When I first got the car, I kept accidently activating the auto up/down when I only wanted to crack the window open a little bit. This also got "broken in".

Even with all those gripes, the A3 is awesome! Congrats!

Old 08-11-2006, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

There isn't a big difference in HP gains at all - most companies only claim 5-8 hp gained. Definitely negligible when you compare that to chipping. The thing I like about CAIs are the deep throaty sound they give the engine. Not as loud as an exhaust but still noticeable - just that little something to warn the guy in the car next to you.

As for exhaust systems, they're sometimes too loud for me - I don't want people hearing my car when I'm coming down the street.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

There isn't a big difference in HP gains at all - most companies only claim 5-8 hp gained. Definitely negligible when you compare that to chipping. The thing I like about CAIs are the deep throaty sound they give the engine. Not as loud as an exhaust but still noticeable - just that little something to warn the guy in the car next to you.

As for exhaust systems, they're sometimes too loud for me - I don't want people hearing my car when I'm coming down the street.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

oops posted reply in the wrong forum ....

how do you delete posts?

Old 08-11-2006, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

I was going to say BoyWonder....huh?

Old 08-11-2006, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

Yeah....read the manual. What if I don't know how to read? I just know how to drive and fiddle with things until I figure them out. Or I ask guys like you in this forum.

As for chipping my car, I don't want to void the warranty. I just can't do it. It's like getting married and then banging a hooker on your honeymoon....er something like that.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:22 PM
SoCal Crew Member

DCA3, that is the worse car / marriage analogy ever. Are you married?

A more apt analogy would be... after you marry this beautiful girl (v. buy an A3), you buy her cosmetics, and beautiful clothes (v. chip / reflash). Sure you will risk other guys checking her out more (v. voiding part of warranty) but your beautiful wife (v. faster A3) is worth it.

Quick Reply: New A3 2.0T Questions