Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New A3 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:38 AM
Default RE: New A3 Owner

ORIGINAL: olivier

today I got 10miles to the gallon…
that does not sound right. i'verarely gonebelow 20MPG either city or highway on my first 1200 miles. Most of the time i'm in the upper 20's and the highest value i've seen (average fuel consumption ) is 30.2MPG

Old 04-23-2007, 02:45 AM
1st Gear

Very nice ride. So in the end you went with premium for the power seat, hey?
I have less than 800 miles on mine and I have being trying to abide by the 600/1000 guidelines as JohnS1 said, and it is tough to do but hopefully rewarding in the ling run! I would love to get EPA rating on the mileage, today I got 10miles to the gallon… I wish it were because I was doing 130mph but I was closer to 13 for the whole ride going to the beach… Going to the beach on a sunny Sunday, I guess there are a lot of smart fellows who figure out the same thing… A lot! Although your DSG would have come in handy, I proudly struggled with my MT… I am jealous about the sky though, going from a convertible to the A3 without it, it seems like I have a lot of metal on top of my head…
Very nice ride indeed.
Yeah I went with the premium... and I am glad I did. I actually like the black trim better than all the aluminum in the sport and IMO I think the seats are way better in the premium even if they werent power... but power seats FTW

Well I got on the gas pedal about 6 times to get it out of my system... otherwise I have been extremely kind driving very conservativley. I dont even think I have 200 miles on the car yet. I am going to have to drive to San Diego and back a few times to get to 1k miles... haha. Maybe not. I havent been paying attention to the MPG all that much really. I am still trying to figure out all the buttons and switches.

I am curious though... why would you get a MT instead of DSG?

Old 04-23-2007, 03:54 AM
1st Gear

Wait....I think I just heard a can of worms being opened! [8D]

Old 04-23-2007, 05:42 AM
1st Gear

Sweet car and deal! My first time on this forum. Lots of great info! I've had my A3 for several months and it gets better all of the time. MPH has been reasonable depending on the amount of freeway driving. 24 - 28 mph. I also went with MT. Personal preference I guess as it feelslike I havemore control and a greater feel for how the car drives.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:58 AM

MT is the only way to go!

BTW, my mileage improved dramatically during the first 1k miles and then gradually over the next 5k miles. Just make sure you always use a quality 91+ octane gas.

Cheers!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

I guess it is a personal thing about MT or DSG. To be honest I was very impressed by the DSG and today, any other A3 with DSG will probably blow past me but when you negotiate curves or going to pass, I do like the feel and control of the MT. It may be more of an "illusion" since you can achieve this with the DSG but I like to feel the little horses under my palm than looking at the front board to see which gear I am in.
Like I said, stuck in traffic yesterday, besides ridiculously low mileage, it was pain to change gears but I did it with pride!
BTW, the wheel spinning in 1st gear, is that more of a MT or DSG or is it pure bad driving skills???

Old 04-23-2007, 02:00 PM
1st Gear

I guess it is a personal thing about MT or DSG. To be honest I was very impressed by the DSG and today, any other A3 with DSG will probably blow past me but when you negotiate curves or going to pass, I do like the feel and control of the MT. It may be more of an "illusion" since you can achieve this with the DSG but I like to feel the little horses under my palm than looking at the front board to see which gear I am in.
Like I said, stuck in traffic yesterday, besides ridiculously low mileage, it was pain to change gears but I did it with pride!
BTW, the wheel spinning in 1st gear, is that more of a MT or DSG or is it pure bad driving skills???
I am extremely impressed with the DSG as it offers the best of both worlds. I usually only drive with my left hand but with the Audi it makes me naturally drive with two hands. Traffic was the thing that is especially key. Who wants to be stuck on the 5 or 405 in rush our traffic with a MT?

Lol on the wheel spinning. I can easily make the wheels spin off the line with the DSG as well.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Blue Jays

Wait....I think I just heard a can of worms being opened! [8D]
Your got that right! That infamous question has been asked! [sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 04-23-2007, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: RasLion
Traffic was the thing that is especially key. Who wants to be stuck on the 5 or 405 in rush our traffic with a MT?
I know there are many who love stick, but I love DSG for the same reasons of not having to worry about shifting in heavy traffic or going up /down steep SF hills.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:33 PM

I love the fact that I don't have to get the DSG serviced every 20k miles and worry about it handling all of the torque I throw at it.

Let the war commence!!! LOL

Quick Reply: New A3 Owner