Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New A3 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 04:36 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New A3 Owner

On the Speed channel last weekend they did a Test Drive of the GTI which I believe has the same 2.0T and DSG. They took the car to the track and while they did rave about the DSG, they noticed that the shifts did not always occur when they wanted them too, and the drivers wanted a bit more control over what the DSG & Computer did.

Still, the DSG is a nice bit of technology. However, I have to say I prefer my 6-speed MT.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:50 PM
1st Gear

There is another thread started by JohnS1 about “Top 10 Luxury Cars Driven by Women” which has the Audi A3 as number 2, I am going to venture a guess that most of the women drivers have DSG… I guess the lack of cojones has something to do with it… Does not say much about you DSG users…
LOL - I mean no disrespect to women, it is said with love

Old 04-23-2007, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: olivier

There is another thread started by JohnS1 about “Top 10 Luxury Cars Driven by Women” which has the Audi A3 as number 2, I am going to venture a guess that most of the women drivers have DSG… I guess the lack of cojones has something to do with it… Does not say much about you DSG users…
LOL - I mean no disrespect to women, it is said with love
Ouch! I just got pwnd. [X(] <---not sure what the this smiley is but it looks appropriate.

On another note... I doubt most of those woman even know how to use steptronic...

Old 04-23-2007, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Spinner

On the Speed channel last weekend they did a Test Drive of the GTI which I believe has the same 2.0T and DSG. They took the car to the track and while they did rave about the DSG, they noticed that the shifts did not always occur when they wanted them too, and the drivers wanted a bit more control over what the DSG & Computer did.

Still, the DSG is a nice bit of technology. However, I have to say I prefer my 6-speed MT.
Well put spinner... but how many of you actually take the car to the track? I will never take my car to the track and having a MT in california traffic would drive me insane... but I still like to have "manual" control over the engine and the DSG IMO is the best damn auto tranny out there that is LOADS of fun to use.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:11 PM

DSG is a slick transmission, and I liked the thought of having DSG, it just wouldn't work for the long haul. I'm just too much of a manual man and love the feel. Most DSG'ers end up not using the paddles much at all after the initial love phase. Might as well have an automatic as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, I would be happy to school any DSG car at the moment if they think they can take me off of the line and beat me in a race. How's that for some cojones??? You just have to wait until I get my car back on Friday.[:@]

Old 04-23-2007, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

DSG is a slick transmission, and I liked the thought of having DSG, it just wouldn't work for the long haul. I'm just too much of a manual man and love the feel. Most DSG'ers end up not using the paddles much at all after the initial love phase. Might as well have an automatic as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, I would be happy to school any DSG car at the moment if they think they can take me off of the line and beat me in a race. How's that for some cojones??? You just have to wait until I get my car back on Friday.[:@]
Chef,

Since we live close I'd be happy to race you... but ummm.. *looks down at Chefs sig*... Look at all those nice mods you have

Old 04-23-2007, 07:22 PM

Yeah, you'd have to pony up some to get past the mods. Honestly, one of the bestmodslisted are the Toyo tires. I used to get crazy wheelspin in the first three gears, and now, only moderate amounts in first......then I'm GONE!!! The trick with DSG is being able to launch it properly. My money is that I will launch better than the DSG and the .2sec shift points won't be enough to catch me. BUT, I'm willing for any takers. The only DSG car around, that I knew about, that had similar mods to me was A3Night's, and that is now gone. I was really hoping for a good race at some point with him, but no more.[]

Old 04-23-2007, 07:31 PM
1st Gear

I love the fact that I don't have to get the DSG serviced every 20k miles and worry about it handling all of the torque I throw at it.
Let the war commence!!! LOL
The A3 service intervals are 5K, 15K, 25K 35K, 45K and so on. DSG service occurs on 35K interval I believe. (for VW's GTI/GLI its at 40K) It is nothing special just new fluid and filter work.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:43 PM
1st Gear

Chef, do you feel the tire made the most difference insofar that wheel spinningis concerned? I am still trying to negotiate the 1st gear and it is a little frustrating to find the right balance.

To DSG people, the best view to see the difference between DSG and MT is the easy way and the hard way. With an MT, you know one error will cost you, with DSG people fall into what I would call the “comatomatic” stasis where things come easy to them... Tsk tsk.
Easy is not rewarding...

Old 04-23-2007, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

It is much easier to shift using paddles on windy mountain roads, maybe on normal freeway and so forth I don't use paddles much.

So you are going to race "any DSG" car to prove that you are the one to beat with a stick. (LAX cops will be camped near your house)
Ok, All you VW GTI's, R32's with DSG, and all models of Audi A3, TT with DSG...Mr macho man Chef wants to race. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Chef I don't think you want to include any Bugatti's do you? [sm=laughat.gif]

Quick Reply: New A3 Owner