Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New Arrival on the Way

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:02 PM
1st Gear
Default New Arrival on the Way

No, it's not a baby. Well, it kind of is. A baby Audi A3 that is. Just struck a real deal on this low mileage 07 beauty:

This will be the seconf Audi in our "fleet" the other's an 85 UR quattro: Team Illuminata Motorsport Now the question is "What to do with this one?"

Well first on the list is some BRAID wheels. We are the main importer after all so we are almost obliged to throw some of these wheels on it. There's already a precedent in the neighbourhod: an MTM S3 replica has some black Winrace A on it. I don't have any pictures of that car yet but here's the wheels before we delivered them.

What do you think? I actually already ordered the very same wheels for this car, even before we bought it! Then I had another thought: maybe white Winrace A would be cool too.

What do you think? Coiuld we get away with it?

What I really need is someone to Photoshop the black and white Winrace A on the car for comparison. Any PS experts out there?

Of course, maybe we need another BRAID wheel instead of these. Have a look, let me know what might look better: Team Illuminata

I also need to install aftermarket heated seats as it doesn't have the winter package installed. I'll do without the heated mirrors and washer nozzles thank you. Anyone have any experience or insights into doing this on this car?

Likewise with a remote start system. Would really like that on this one.

Then, I guess the question is what else should we do as far as performnce mods? What do these cars really respond well to? Open to ideas.
other mods

Old 11-13-2011, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

Lesley over on Grassroots Motorpsort Photoshopped some white BRAIDs for me. Thanks mate

What do you think?

Old 11-14-2011, 01:24 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

nice looking A3. good find.

I think the white Braids are growing on me. i didn't think i would like it at first but i keep looking at the shopped pic you posted and....

not really sure what you should do with it, but I'm interested to see where you go with it. keep updates coming

Old 11-14-2011, 08:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
nice looking A3. good find.

I think the white Braids are growing on me. i didn't think i would like it at first but i keep looking at the shopped pic you posted and....

not really sure what you should do with it, but I'm interested to see where you go with it. keep updates coming
Thanks. I feel the same way but it's growing on me. Most of our cars have white wheels but this one's supossed to be a bit more subtle so I thought the white would be too much but, I think, with the white body they kind of blend in.

I'm not sure where this project's going to be honest. Again, most of our products are competition/rally oriented but this vehicle is a nice street car. My wife's going to drive it too so we can't go too crazy.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:10 PM
1st Gear

Strangest looking stork flew over the shop yesterday:

and dropped off our new "baby"

The driver said he drove through an aweful snow and ice storm to get to Michigan and you could see the effects on the outside of the car; just filthy. But after a good wash shiny and gleaming again

Gave it a good going over, even got it on the lift. Then drove it round for a while. Absolutely perfect! Very happy with it.

Now, where's those BRAID wheels?

Old 11-24-2011, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

Car is now integrated into the "fleet". Here it is in the driveway in a BRAID sandwich.

I've only driven the car a few dozen miles, mostly in town, and have a few observations. The car is indeed quite quick but not very engaging. If anything the steering is way too light with almost zero feedback. I like the Sport mode of the DSG especially round town. It makes the manual shift, even with the flappy paddles somewhat pointless. Although I like the luxury aspects and neat features after two days I think at least around town I still prefer to drive my Jeep, Sprinter, Outback or, of course, my UR quattro. All have a lot more character though I still think the A3 looks amazing in white.

This is currently the only car I own that doesn't have BRAID wheels on it. Wheels are on their way though. Should be here soon. They are going to be black in order to accomodate a customer who has recently changed his mind and now wants silver. When his silver ones come in I get his black ones. I am still intrigued about white though. Maybe for summer. Winter tires are already here. Pilot Alpin PA3 from Michelin:

I left foot brake most of the time, both on the street and on the track (but for very different reasons of course) and apparantly I'm overlapping the brake and throttle some as quite often the car has cut the gas coming up to an intersection so emphatically that there is no throttle when I get back on it. Of course, I then press it further so when it comes back on it takes off like a rocket. Not very dignified. Can this be dialed out with any of the aftermarket chips? It would be quite a problem on the track or autocrossing.

I also just realised there is such a thing as a "front plate delete panel" available for states that don't require front license plates. It never occurred to me until I saw an A4 in the parking lot yesterday. Now this one just looks all wrong in the front.

Like this though I think they have two chrome strips

Mines an 07. I think they have to be for prior to some facelift or something.

Seem to cost a couple of hundred from Audi. Anyone know of a less expensive source?

My wife's going to drive it to work for a few days. If she ever gives it back I'll slap on a remote start (any recomendations?), an iPod connection and maybe heated seats. And BRAID wheels of course

Last edited by team illuminata; 11-24-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

Now we have had the car for almost a week and it has gotten used to it's new home I thought it was time to introduce it to my UR quattro. Didn't want it to think it was the only nice German car we have in the family. The introductions went quite well; no hissing or spitting in evidence. Now the quattro has to go away for the winter the A3 can settle down as top dog but it knows, come spring it will have to give way to the BOSS.

Not much family resemblance here though IMHO.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

This is currently the only car I own that doesn't have BRAID wheels on it. Wheels are on their way though. Should be here soon. They are going to be dark-colored as a way to work with a consumer who has lately improved his thoughts and now wants gold. When his gold ones come in I get his dark-colored ones. I am still interested about white-colored though. Maybe for summer time. Winter weather wheels are already here.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:01 PM
1st Gear

Finally got my hands on the A3 again. My wife's been driving it and was loathed to give it back. Had a few things I wanted to change and some issues I wanted to address so I slapped it up on the hoist.

First thing on the list was the license plate delete. Got one from the local dealer so I knew it would be right. I think it makes a world of difference.

Took the oil filler cap off and found all this gunk! It's not using coolant so I'm hoping this is due to its short run cycles being shuffled around the dealer's lot a not warming up properly. The oil is supossed to be new though it looks darker than I'd expect. It still has one free Audi oil change left so I'll get it in to the dealer soon.

I went ahead and changed the oil pump cam follower as many people have advised. The old one showed slight wear marks on the surface and the new one came dressed like a cure for something.

The hardest part of the exercide was getting the plastic engine cover/intake off and I managed to break a few of the clips doing so. I think some of them may have been broken before so I suspect this is just one of those Audi things that happens. All went back together ok so I assume it will be all right as is?

I put the new license plate on and BRAID holder.

and picked up a cool USB memory stick in the form of an Audi Key. I think I'll get a red one too for the quattro.

Also mounted some winter tires in case that ever shows up. Still on the OE wheels. BRAIDs are on the boat.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

Well, that was quick. Seems like it's spring already. Time for summer rubber (and wheels of course):

Kumho Ecsta LE Sport 225/40-18 mounted on BRAID Winrace A 18x8 ET45. I like them better than the silver ones but am still intrigued by white.

Quick Reply: New Arrival on the Way