Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New to AUDI, Couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:20 PM
1st Gear
Default New to AUDI, Couple questions

Just purchased a 2007 A3 S-line.
I am very much a beginner when it comes to moding a vehicle and any help would be appreciated.

I was looking to flash it and have found APR. Is this the best one?
Also have seen other acronyms:
Carbonio CAI
LSD
RSW

Old 02-26-2007, 04:37 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New to AUDI, Couple questions

Hi Beagle,

I'm sure if you have a mooch around the forum you'll soon pick up on peoples opinions of the various tuners. I don't think there is ever really a 'best' tuner, it depends on what you're after. I'm in the UK and I can say that both APR and Revo have a very good reputation.

Carbonio CAI - A brand of cold air induction kit. Standard airbox is dumped in favour of a less restrictive flow of air to the turbo. Cold air is good for turbos. More cold air equals more go. Basically a tube with a filter on the end.

LSD - Limited slip differential. Look that one up on Wiki. I tried to explain but got in a bit of a tangle.

RSW - Absolutely no idea

Old 02-26-2007, 05:47 PM
1st Gear

Unfortunately for you, there isn't much to gain from REVO-ing/APR-ing a V6....

Old 02-26-2007, 06:10 PM
1st Gear

It does make a difference, Sline doesnt mean 3.2 V6 anymore. All 2007's with sport package, including the 2.0 are considered Sline, so maybe Beagle has a tunable 2.0 Sline.....am I right Beagle?

Old 02-26-2007, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

Correct, I have the 2.0 T Sline. I liked the body and interior mods the Sline package offered.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

I am looking to have more power out of the corners. I race during the summer at the Waterford Michigan race track and also do some SCCA racing. I looked at the turbo, exhaut, and CPU kits and made the decission that spending another $5k+ is not something I want to do. I seems the the CPU kit offers the most bang for the buck. What I really need to know is how dependible will the car be with the upgraded tuner? It is still my daily driver ~100miles/day.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

Ah, that's news to me... I guess I'm still living in 2005.

Beagle, it all depends. There are no guarantees. While I have yet to hear of anyone not driving like a maniac and experiencing major problems, it doesn't mean it couldn't happen. You could be the 1 out of... 500,000.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Beagle

What I really need to know is how dependible will the car be with the upgraded tuner? It is still my daily driver ~100miles/day.
If it makes you feel any better I've done probably 70k miles over the last 3 years in remapped cars and I've never had any problems. Fair enough the tuners push the boundaries a little further than stock but the last thing a reputable company wants are engines going pop. That would be round the various car forums quicker than you can say knife.

However, some minor components are more prone to failing as a result of a remap. I think it's still early days for the 2.0T FSI but for instance on the 1.8T the stock DV was weak. This was solved by fitting something like the Forge 007P. Fifty quid, job done. And would probably last longer than the car.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

OK rich1068, now I guess it is my turn to ask the easy question: what is the stock DV? I also have an A3 2.0T and I am interested in chipping it with APR. The last ride I had was an '03 Tacoma 4x4 with a supercharger kit and CAI. I considered chipping it and also going for the 7th injector, but I would have likely needed to do some serious transmission work to make it viable.

My '07 A3 is brand new and I like the idea of getting the APR, but I also don't want to break something else, or have to mod another item that could tip off the dealer that I did the APR, if you know what I mean. Any suggestions.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

DV = diverter valve. Its job is to open when the throttle body is closing or closed, and reroute the boost to the low pressure intake side of the turbo. Stock DV uses a rubber diaphragm, as opposed to some after market DVs that could even be a piston type valve.

Quick Reply: New to AUDI, Couple questions