Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

newbie question about Sirius Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Default newbie question about Sirius Satellite Radio

I'm buying a new A3 3.2, and apparently I missed the window to get an '07 just the way I want it (no options). The '08 comes with Sirius Satellite Radio, among other things, so now I'm deciding between an '07 with options I don't want and an '08 with no options but a high markup.

Anyway, my newbie question is: do I still have to pay Sirius money to use their satellite radio, once it's installed, or is it pre-installed so that all I have to do is turn it on?

Sorry to ask this here. I'd ask a dealer, but I don't want to look stupid(er than I have to), and I wouldn't trust their answer anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:01 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: newbie question about Sirius Satellite Radio

There are a couple of threads on the sirius you can search for. The radio comes 'pre-installed' I guess, i.e., if you subscribe you can hear it. Satellite is just another option on your radio, such as radio, CD, etc. You do not have to subscrie to sirius if you do not want to, they will give you a 3month tryout that you can do once you pickup the car.Some people have mentioned that they were able to keep the floor demo channels by never starting the tryout. You are going to have to dig a bit on this. Happy searching!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:41 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: zlguocius

I'm buying a new A3 3.2, and apparently I missed the window to get an '07 just the way I want it (no options). The '08 comes with Sirius Satellite Radio, among other things, so now I'm deciding between an '07 with options I don't want and an '08 with no options but a high markup.

Anyway, my newbie question is: do I still have to pay Sirius money to use their satellite radio, once it's installed, or is it pre-installed so that all I have to do is turn it on?

Sorry to ask this here. I'd ask a dealer, but I don't want to look stupid(er than I have to), and I wouldn't trust their answer anyway.

Thanks for your help.
The base demo thirteen channels are free forever on current radio unless you subscribe, or have them activate the full 3 month demo before you subscribe. Found this out because I didn't try the full demo. As one Audi saleman said its all he listens to anyway. Initially you have channels 0 (SID) , 1, 15, 20, 21, 28, 31, 40, 71, 80, 101, 105, 121, 184 active on current units.
Brief descriptions of channel content:
1 SIRIUS Hits 1 Pop Top 40 Hits
15 Classic Rewind Rock Later Classic Rock
20 Octane Rock Pure Hard Rock
21 Alt Nation Rock Alternative Rock
28 Faction Rock Punk, Hip-Hop, Hard Rock Mix
31 Radio Margaritaville Rock Escape to Margaritaville
40 Hip-Hop Nation Hip-Hop/R&B From Non-stop Hip-Hop 24/7 to Hip-Hop Hits
71 Jazz Cafe Jazz/Blues Smooth Jazz
80 Symphony Hall Classical Symphonic and Chamber Music
101 Howard 101 Howard Stern Howard Stern, Bubba the Love Sponge, Ferrall and more
105 Laugh Break SIRIUS Comedy Comedy
121 ESPNEWS Sports Talk & News ESPN News
184 SIRIUS Weather & Emergency Traffic & Weather SIRIUS Weather & Emergency

Old 06-07-2007, 02:00 AM

Excellent, thanks for the informative answers JohnS1 and olivier. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I did do a feeble search for this before, both via Google and on the Audi A3 forum here. I even scrolled through all five pages of A3 threads and checked ones with promising titles. My question was still unanswered. (And I couldn't find a specific forum for default satellite radio though, as all the other forums here seem to be about modding your car.)

Anyway, I guess what threw me for a loop is the fact that the '07 A3 charges like $350 (MSRP) for "Sirius Satellite Radio", not for "Sirius Satellite Radio Compatibility". I figured if the price is that steep then maybe it's paying for a life-time (of the radio unit) subscription to Sirius. Guess not.

Thanks again.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:24 AM
1st Gear

Anyway, I guess what threw me for a loop is the fact that the '07 A3 charges like $350 (MSRP) for "Sirius Satellite Radio", not for "Sirius Satellite Radio Compatibility". I figured if the price is that steep then maybe it's paying for a life-time (of the radio unit) subscription to Sirius. Guess not.
Your right, its $350 extra for the Sirius radio on the 3.2. Unlike other car vendors there are no great deals like free three year subscription. It would be nice but I can live with the limited free channels.
Cheers

Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 AM
1st Gear

Don’t get me started - I would contend that the Sat radio should really be free since the idea is for the user to subscribe. Same things with internet access or to a smaller degree cell phones – you can get the equipment for free if you subscribe. It is a crock of ****, pardon my French.

JohnS1, I thought that even in the '07 and only for the 3.2 the Sat radio was indeed $350 - maybe I am mistaken, that happens quite a bit...

Old 06-07-2007, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: olivier

...maybe I am mistaken, that happens quite a bit...
Oui Oui

Old 06-07-2007, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: olivier

Don’t get me started - I would contend that the Sat radio should really be free since the idea is for the user to subscribe. Same things with internet access or to a smaller degree cell phones – you can get the equipment for free if you subscribe. It is a crock of ****, pardon my French.

JohnS1, I thought that even in the '07 and only for the 3.2 the Sat radio was indeed $350 - maybe I am mistaken, that happens quite a bit...
Yep my mistake, corrected post. Because I own a 2.0T versus a 3.2 I forgot that tidbit. But chef saying Oui Oui makes me think he has joined the French side! Irish and French what a combo!

Old 06-07-2007, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

Don't you "oui oui" me mister... [sm=signs006.gif][sm=noooo.gif][sm=nono.gif]For once I was serious and trying to help, even if in my limited abilities... You come around and post this and after you claim that it seemed that all fights start with the French... Maybe so but the antagonizing [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]comes from you!

JohnS1 – I hope you will be my witness on this one -

Zlguocius – sorry for the last 2 posts (including mine) – I tried a quick search on sirius for the A3 and it is not easy to get additional information but as always JohnS1 is right on the money !

Old 06-07-2007, 05:27 PM
2nd Gear

zlguocius, if you end up getting an A3 with a Sirius tuner you don't need, let me know. I may buy it from you if you're not going to use it.

Quick Reply: newbie question about Sirius Satellite Radio