Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

OBD II/CAN scanner recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Default OBD II/CAN scanner recommendations

The dreaded "Check Engine" light just came on (oddly, according to the manual, my light is supposed to be on Canadian Audis) and I just don't trust the dealer and would prefer avoiding them if at all possible.

I've seen OBD II hand-held scanners, complete with full VW/Audi codes translated for under $40 on EBay. I also saw ones that were CAN (Control Area Network) compatible for about $100. These aren't brand-specific. However, CAN is supposed to be much, much faster and presumably more powerful, although I've never used either.

From what I can gather, it seems that most cars made after 2005 use CAN compatible OBD-II interfaces, but I was wondering if anyone here knew for sure if a 2006 A3 is and if they have any recommendations they can share.

Thanks

Old 04-08-2008, 12:36 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: OBD II/CAN scanner recommendations

I haven't bought mine yet but dfrost seams to be the expert on VAG-COM problems and changes.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:24 AM

I went ahead and ordered one of these:

http://search.stores.ebay.com/DreamV...554624QQsofpZ0

I'll report how it works out.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:35 PM

Ok, I bought the one above and it worked like a charm. The code that came up was P0299, which is generic Turbo/SuperCharger underboost. In fact, it did feel like the power was dialed back a bit since the light came on.

So, I looked under the hood...didn't see anything obvious (hose splits or decouplings, etc), except the oil was down a quart, which I replenished. Then I thought I'd try a noob thing and just erase the error code. Sure enough, the light went off and code is gone, but I don't think the power is back. My thinking was that perhaps the computer turned down boost because oil was low or some other temporary condition and that resetting it would cause it to right itself.

Now, the question is, how does one make the engine computer re-diagnose and re-aquire the correct data?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 4RINGSROD

I haven't bought mine yet but dfrost seams to be the expert on VAG-COM problems and changes.
Thanks, Rod, but I don't deserve the title of "expert," just a very satisfied customerof the following.

To the OP:
The VAG-COM interface and software from Ross-Tech (http://www.ross-tech.com/) seem to be the most comprehensive tool for CEL interpretations (and clearing if desired) as well as several other functions that I consider extremely cool:
[ul][*]Make changes to the car's operation. Mods I've done: steering boost adjustments (unfortunately just on '06's), key fob functions, radio characteristics, door lock operation, and DRL enable/disable/modification. I also enabled heated mirrors on my non-Cold car.[*]Measure performance. I've only done a baseline boost/torque/horespower run, but it can do time-to-speed (and distance, I think), as well as many, many other functions.[*]Restore basic settings of many systems in the car. Haven't had any reason to do that yet, but it sounds like that could very valuable.[/ul]
The software for their interface seems extremely well-done, and they are always looking for ways to improve it, including collecting user information with their cars.

Ross-Tech's on-line support seems incredible (check out: http://forums.fourtitude.com/zeroforum?id=510), including interpretation of the fault codes for what needs to be fixed. The have extensive Wikis for the supported cars (A3: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_A3/S3_%288P%29). Also look at the comprehensive FAQ on the Ross-Tech site.

At $229-350 for amateur users like myself, it certainly costs much more then that e-bay item, but obviously I feel that it has far more value, more then enough to justify the cost. BTW, several of the user interfaces can be used on any VAG product. They may eventually add non-VAG cars, too- BMW/Mini are probably next to be supported.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

wow, you can enable heated mirrors with that? Is it as simple as punching in codes/unlocking? Sounds like hacking a psp or iphone almost =P
Would it be considered as voiding the warranty?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:58 PM

ORIGINAL: dfrost
At $229-350 for amateur users like myself, it certainly costs much more then that e-bay item, but obviously I feel that it has far more value, more then enough to justify the cost. BTW, several of the user interfaces can be used on any VAG product. They may eventually add non-VAG cars, too - BMW/Mini are probably next to be supported.
I would have no problem with that cost, but if it's like all the others I've seen, it requires a Windows laptop as well. I don't use Windows nor have a laptop. I suppose one could justify a relatively cheap, used one, though.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: omnimofo
wow, you can enable heated mirrors with that? Is it as simple as punching in codes/unlocking? Sounds like hacking a psp or iphone almost =P
Yes, it is just a matter of changing a code. The passenger mirror (but not the driver's mirror) already had a heater grid, and wiring for both mirrors was present inthe mirror housings. I chose to replace both mirrors with Audi-branded Heated Blind Spot Mirrors to also get the very neatblind spot feature. They turn on with the rear window defroster. I doubt that it would void the warranty since the factory wiring and software is still used, and it could be disabled (and the original mirrors installed) in a matter of minutes.

phila1776,
Yes, a laptop with Windows is necessary. I'm using a late 90's Pentium III model with Windows 98 that my daughter was no longer using, so no cost to me for that. I'd think thata PClike that would be quite cheap. The VAG-COM software runs fine on it, but it did lead me to get the Serial version of the interface rather then the USB version. I upgraded that PC to Windows XP for a variety of reasons, but it takes much longer to boot now (and the hard drive is quite small), so not the best change if that was my only computer.

My local used PC store has a bunch of more recent laptops loaded with XP for $350-400, all looking to be in excellent condition. I might get one of those eventually.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

Yes, it is just a matter of changing a code. The passenger mirror (but not the driver's mirror) already had a heater grid, and wiring for both mirrors was present in the mirror housings. I chose to replace both mirrors with Audi-branded Heated Blind Spot Mirrors to also get the very neat blind spot feature. They turn on with the rear window defroster. I doubt that it would void the warranty since the factory wiring and software is still used, and it could be disabled (and the original mirrors installed) in a matter of minutes.
That sounds REALLY neat. Wanna write up a how-to? =P Where did you get those Mirrors from? (i do find A3 mirrors a bit too small for my taste) Are those Audi heated blind spot mirrors also tinted? I wish the rear view mirrors outside can auto-dim with the inside one too. Before my A3 arrives, I drove an 07 A4 loaner for a while. I was a bit disappointed when the outside mirrors weren't even tinted at least.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

Yes, it is just a matter of changing a code. The passenger mirror (but not the driver's mirror) already had a heater grid, and wiring for both mirrors was present in the mirror housings. I chose to replace both mirrors with Audi-branded Heated Blind Spot Mirrors to also get the very neat blind spot feature. They turn on with the rear window defroster. I doubt that it would void the warranty since the factory wiring and software is still used, and it could be disabled (and the original mirrors installed) in a matter of minutes.
That sounds REALLY neat. Wanna write up a how-to? =P Where did you get those Mirrors from? (i do find A3 mirrors a bit too small for my taste) Are those Audi heated blind spot mirrors also tinted? I wish the rear view mirrors outside can auto-dim with the inside one too. Before my A3 arrives, I drove an 07 A4 loaner for a while. I was a bit disappointed when the outside mirrors weren't even tinted at least.
Here's the how-to that I used:
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=2417337(get past all the taillight replacement stuff to find the VAG-COM instructions.)

Tailights came from OEMPlus.com:
http://oempl.us/index.php?main_page=...dd49edfcb5a4b2

ECS has aspherical mirrors also, but they're much more expensive there. I see that "Anti-Dazzle" is a special order for those. Mine are not tinted.

Quick Reply: OBD II/CAN scanner recommendations