Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Open Sky + summer heat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Open Sky + summer heat?

Ok, I'm getting down to the wire and only waiting for incentives before getting my A3 3.2. BUT - it seems that what I want is a tall order: tech and cold weather without Open Sky. The sunroof looks great, but I've never really used a sunroof enough to justify getting one, and I've read about how Open Sky has been the source of annoyances like wind noise, rattles and broken sun shades. I could also really use the backseat headroom this feature eats up.

Looks like anything I drive off the lot with the packages I want would definitely have Open Sky. I can always order, but then I suspect I wouldn't be able to take advantage of incentives or would not have as much leverage on price.

Sooooo...to those of you who live in the South or Southwest...Does Open Sky bring in too much light or heat? Reviews have stated it brings in too much heat for the climate control to handle in the summer. Nothing is worse than climbing into a parked car in July when the NC heat is in the 90s and the humidity is not far behind.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Open Sky + summer heat?

When I had my A3's windows tinted, I also tinted both panels of the Open Sky Roof.
It made a big difference in the amount of sun (heat) coming in.
I haven't noticed the Open Sky roof or sliding shades generating any noise at all so far.
By the way - I tinted the front-door windows with 35% (illegal in CA), all the back windows and the Open Sky
with a shade darker 20%.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:07 PM
2nd Gear

I believe a lot of A3's come with open sky than non open sky so this may not impact any incentives. Now about rear headroom... I'm 5'11 and even on a non open sky A3 there wasn't much headroom in the back. I would actually think that dual sunroofs might actually alter the perspective of the headliner and make you believe there is more space than there actually is. The little annoyances associated with open sky are gone for me. THe buzzing noise was fixed through a TSB and the latch problem seems to be resolved as I haven't had a failure for 6 months and the latch seems to be rebuilt because its seems to be more durable then the old one. Heat is an issue but I believe our AC system is at fault. The AC system on the A3 just plain sucks. I've driven the 2007 A4 loaner and I swear I was about to catch a cold while it was 100 F outside. Perhaps having the 3.2 might make a difference. I think having open sky is worth it in the end. Summers are usually bad for all cars but nothing can beat the quietness of a sunroof in vent mode. Fresh air and virtually no noise. Plus the A3 looks funny without it

Old 11-15-2006, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

I agree the A3 does not look as nice without Open Sky. I'm also 5'11" and sat in the back at the dealership just to see, and sure enough the ridge of the headliner near the rear sunroof is almost touching my head. I wonder how much height it takes away...I'd imagine 1-2 inches, which is a big difference for anyone riding in back. I'll never be riding in the back, but still...

I wonder if there are any differences in structural rigidity of the car overall with vs. without.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

OpenSky at first I thought was neat, but I declined it because of several reasons. Yes there is a minor budge in the ceiling in the rear that could be annoying to rear passengers, but more importantly the spring loaded mesh curtain that you pull out from the center in two directions is subject to being easily damaged, and it doesn't completely block all the light. Rear passengers might be bothered by the increase light, this is subjective and you need to ride in the rear area to see what I mean. I would have preferred the standard moon roof like A4 with a hard sliding cover that is durable, and can block all the light/heat if needed as in all my current vehicles. Sure you can tint the windows, but having a dark surface on the top of your car heats up the inside if in an hot climate. To some having a white, silver, beige, or pale blue car and then a almost completely black roof looks odd. I also heard the wind noise that several people have observed when doing speeds +75, that can be annoying. I also find that on the freeways I rarely use a sunroof, and I tend to have my rear windows down a crack.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:40 PM
2nd Gear

Brother let me tell you, if you live in the south, and you shave your head like me you would't want the opensky.
I regret getting it because i've never used it on any of my other cars. My wife drives a 05 MB e320 and when i'm driving that i dont use it. when it is summer down here in SO FLA. it gets frickin HOOOOOT i mean really HOT so hot i had to go to home depot and buy a blackout roll of fabric for windows around the house and cut a piece to fit the opensky. I was told that sometimes if you tint the glass up there you risk breaking it because the glass is thinner than the windows and the film can shrink and crack? My tint guy told me and the sales guy. And yes the a/c has to work extra hard to cool the cabin but then you still feel the heat off of the glass. sorry but i'm against the opensky feature, other than that i'm awaiting my oettinger kit and i'm still in love with my A3.[8D]

Old 11-15-2006, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

There is also the fact that if you don't really need the sunroof that a savings of $1100 off the price of your A3!

Old 11-15-2006, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

True...but anything on the lot could still very well be more competetively priced. I'd expect to pay more for a special order, even it it doesn't have Open Sky.

It doesn't help that there are only two Audi dealerships in my area...and that's using the term "area" loosely (within a 2-hour drive). Neither have any real local competition, brand-wise.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: drumdork03

True...but anything on the lot could still very well be more competetively priced. I'd expect to pay more for a special order, even it it doesn't have Open Sky.

It doesn't help that there are only two Audi dealerships in my area...and that's using the term "area" loosely (within a 2-hour drive). Neither have any real local competition, brand-wise.
FYI The local dealer can look online for you and check regional inventory and tell you whats available, they will even see what is in transit and not sold yet to all regional dealers. Depending on the location of A3 there might be additional shippings costs. Even though you would think special ordering a car would negate any discounts, most dealers will give you a break off the MSRP if you challenge them on price. Since you are talking a A3 3.2 perhaps you could negotiate $1000 to $1250 off MSRP price at least.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:13 PM
1st Gear

Right on, thanks for the info on that. The closest dealership has gotten the rep for charging MSRP, which is why I'm considering buying from a dealership 90 minutes away. They also order all vehicles for their lot with Open Sky and the 18" performance tire upgrade.

I can't imagine that any dealer would have any sort of policy of not going below MSRP, but then again, this is a different market than I'm used to. If I wanted a loaded Mazda 3, for example, trading in my WRX plus maybe 5 grand would do the job given local incentives...and I wouldn't have to worry about car payments. I don't want a Mazda, but I digress...

Quick Reply: Open Sky + summer heat?