Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Out of Gas!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 02:31 PM
2nd Gear
Default Out of Gas!

Well. Yesterday I ran out of gas.

Coming home from work is usually a tricky buisness as traffic gets worse and worse by the second so I thought I could make it home without any problems. WRONG!!!

My trip computer showed 0 miles the moment I left the office and I had about a 5 mile home on the local street which took me about 20 minutes to almost get home. I thought nothing of it as Jeremy Clarksons from Top Gear was able to squezze out 40 or so extra miles from his A8. Anyways, from about 1 mile away from my house I decide to put it in S. BIG MISTAKE! The shifting of weight probably caused air to enter the fuel line. Of course I didn't understand what happened for about 5 seconds and my speed was dropping fast from the resistance of a stalled engine and tranny drag. I realize what is going on and look for a place to park. I put it in N, and coast into a shopping complex with a slight hill[:@]

With the lost momentum, I am only able to make it halfway. I put it in park, hazards on, lockup, and started to proceed to walk to my apt, which is only .5 mile away, and look back at my car. *****... It turns out I landed right in the firelane!!!

So I had to call my wife to pick me so I could get some gas. This is the second time I did this in a year. It seems new cars do not have that extra reserve tank. Also, you cant take you car past beyond E. Once the needle is flush with E, your dEad. On my previous cars, you can take it into negative but not this one.

To wrap up, I filled up with 2 gallons and now have 20 miles to empty. Going to fill up with something sweet after work

Old 09-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Default RE: Out of Gas!

mine does that[:@] so I never let it drop below 1/4 of a tank

Old 09-22-2006, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

I'm certainly no expert on the a3's fuel delivery system, but I've read how in general, gas in the tank keeps a fuel pump cool. As a result, I never run any of my cars down to empty.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:06 PM

true the fuel is a lubricant as well as a coolant so running low regularly will cause excess wear to the pump

Old 09-22-2006, 03:50 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Dude, gas may be expensive in Irvine, but still... What were you thinking? So even if you made it home, you may not have enough gas to get to a gas station.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:27 PM
SoCal Crew Member

You weren't the first to do it to your A3, i did it twice in mine, first time, i was on E and thought i could make it home, i was on the freeway, no problems, exited, no problems, 1/4 mile away from the gas station, i feel a jolt, gas pedal doesn't respond, i rode my car on Neutral, lucky, the momentum was good enough to pull into the gas station but not enough to get to the pump, i had to push my car 20 ft to the pump, stupid mistake,

then a few months late, i ran out ont he freeway, felt that same jolt again on the freeway, exited and luckly parked it on the side, stupid me

Old 09-22-2006, 05:34 PM

I had nearly 1/4 of a tank in and parked in a dip all the fuel went to the opposite side so I had to crank it in gear till it was level to get fuel through

Old 09-22-2006, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

couple of questions here come to mind reading this thread:

1) do you guys not fill up once the gas light comes on? i think the manual says something about it only have like 1.5 gallons at that point (which is about 30 miles to be conservative right?)

2) why didn't anyone call audi's roadside assistance? i hear they bring you gas if you run out?

Old 09-22-2006, 06:11 PM

why wait for the gas light to come on the fuel is so cheap over the pond and last question well no answer to that

Old 09-22-2006, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

?