Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Owned a sports car? Decided between the 2.0T or 3.2 S Line? Which did you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:06 AM
1st Gear
Default Owned a sports car? Decided between the 2.0T or 3.2 S Line? Which did you choose?

Hi guys,

Just on the fence about whether to get the 2.0T or pay extra for the the 3.2 and quattro. I did searches and couldnt find that much so I hope to gather what people think now that the 3.2 has been out for awhile..

I am coming from a 2003 Honda S2000 and 2002 Wrx so I hope to not lose out on too much fun factor as I transition into something more practical...

Im hoping to get some opinions from people who previously owned other sports/sporty cars such as evo, sti, gti, si, etc

Looks like DSG is the way to go.. will i miss out on shifting with a manual?? If I go 2.0 T should I consider the traditional manual transmission?

Thanks a lot in advance! Hope to join the family soon!

Old 12-29-2006, 02:47 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Owned a sports car? Decided between the 2.0T or 3.2 S Line? Which did you choose?

I owned two Miatas, both with modified suspensions, roll bar, larger wheels and Azenis tires for the past 13 years. I tracked my first Miata and took it to Thunderhill, Laguna, and Sears Point (Infineon). I a/x'd for 4 years. It took A LOT of courage to get me outside my box and even consider the A3.
The test drive sealed it for me. I was able to take the car on a very curvy, hilly road with zero traffic. I was laughing maniacally the whole time!

So, I bought a '07 2.0T S-line, DSG, Open sky, Cold weather, tech package a few weeks ago. BTW, it has the ContiSport2 (amazing tire). I thought I would never buy a fwd car. But with it's amazing steering, EDL, ESP, CBC, and Electronic brake force distribution, the car barely had any understeer. If the the fronts do break traction in a straight line, there isn't any drama, and the wheel doesn't fight you. Torque steer is practically non-existent. I've not driven a chipped A3, so the extra 30 or so hp and increase in torque might change the previous statement re: torque steer.

I'm stunned that I couldn't feel the extra weight of the back of the car, even with a passenger back there, as I thought the car would simply have too much roll. Wrong. It's an amazingly tuned chassis.

BTW: No I don't miss the clutch. And I was darn good at heel/toeing!

Old 12-30-2006, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Owned a sports car? Decided between the 2.0T or 3.2 S Line? Which did you choose?

I came from owning a Jeep Wrangler & a 1993 Rx-7. I also had a 2003 GTI for a year or so and had somewhat of an expectation that the A3 would be similar.

As far as the front wheel drive goes, it is a considerable improvement over the 03 GTI. The torque steer and understeer on the A3 is not too bad, it will never be a RWD car but there is a trade off in everything. From the gas mileage & practicality standpoint it is awesome -love the overall room & fold down seats. Like the 4 doors & back seats it offerswhile still remaining compact in design. Even more just appreciate the fit & finish that you get w/ an Audi!

If you wanted to improve, I would opt for a set of springs, which I will probably do here in the near future, perhaps some sways as well. I am not into the DSG, I am more traditional and really love a stick shift, but I heard it is impressive.

I am sure you will be pleased either way, good luck!

Old 12-30-2006, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

Here's the sports cars/coupes I've had: '84 RX-7, '86 RX-7, '91 RX-7, '05 RX-8, '01 Miata (highly modified, still have it), '77 Triumph Spitfire, '76 Camaro, '82 Firebird, '89 Prelude, '97 Prelude, '01 Integra. I've also had a few 4DSC (four door sports cars) such as the original 4DSC -'91 Maxima SE, '01 Maxima SE (not really a 4DSC), '04 TSX (reincarnated '88-91 Maxima SE).

I went with the 2.0T. I didn't see the justification for the extra $ for the 3.2 given the 2.0T DSG was just as fast (faster according to some) and had better fuel economy - but I didn't drive one either. I'd rather have rwd or awd, but the 2.0Tis as good a fwd as you can get. Too bad they don't offer the 2.0 T with awd. Drive them both and decide what's most important to you.