Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Default PLEASE HELP!

I have receently bought an Audi A3 1.8 T , 1998 model....While driving normally the car slows down heavily once I let go of the accelerator........and then trying to move off, it feels as if I am trying to move off with the handbrakes on....it revs high but moves 5-10 mph I thought it was the clutch....cos it smelled like burning but after replacing it I still get the same problem.... right now its lying in my car park,,, thinking what i should do next....I have been told that it could be the brake calipers...cos the car has been sitting on previous owners driveway for over a year,
please any technical help or advice will be appreciated.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: PLEASE HELP!

I had this problem on my Ford Ranger. The emergency brake cable was rusted and was causing the rear brakes to always be "on". Made an awful burning smell from the rear wheels.
Ride around the block, then park and take a whif of each wheel.
Calipers could also be frozen from sitting so long.

HTH,
- J

Old 09-24-2007, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

Out of curiosity...did these problems occur when you did a test drive of the vehicle before buying it?

Old 09-24-2007, 07:05 PM

No, when I took a test drive it drove ok, I guess Ive been ripped off....it only started doing it when I came home and the engine was proper hot,,,,,