Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Default Power Steering

**Newbie - Appologies if this has been posted before**

All of a sudden this morning the power steering light has come up on my dash and doesnt go off when i turn on the engine thus making the car impossible to move.

I understand nothing about cars whatsoever so locating the resevoiur under the bonnet is near impossible (i have a 2006 A3 tdi) as id imagine checking the level there would be the first option. Nothing comes up on the dash detailing what exactly is wrong with it just the steering wheel thing is constatl lit.

The car has only done 15k so i find it very hard to believe that anything major could be wrong? but then again the handbreak did fail 3months ago, so this could be the next chapter in the jinxed car.

Any info you have would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2010, 09:40 AM

Its most likely going to be one of two things, lack of fluid or the power steering pump itself. Checking the fluid is easy, the reservoir is the one with a picture of a steering wheel on the cap. If there is fluid that means its probably the pump. Check the belt hasn’t snapped first and check for anything obvious like leaking fluids. Beyond that I'd take it to a garage. Is there no warranty on the car?