Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Problem with Symphony and MP3 CDs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Default Problem with Symphony and MP3 CDs

Just bought a 2007 A3 2.0 T DSG - Lava Gray/Black, Premium, Audio Package, Open Sky, Technology - on Sunday here in the SF Bay Area and I am in general enjoying my first Audi very much.

The problem I'm having is with the "Audio Symphony" system. According to the Audi website, the 6 disc CD player has "mp3 reading capability". And yet the CD system does not seem to play these CDs. We've tried 3 different brands of mp3 CDs. We've tried the songs in folders, we've tried the songs not in folders. We've tried finalizing the session, not finalizing, burning disk-at-once, track-at-once. Nothing.

I suspect that they put the wrong version - an older version - of the Audi Symphony system in the car since I recall reading on some forum in trying to understand this problem that maybe mid-production Audi changed this stereo to have mp3 CD capability. If this is the problem, it surprises me given that the manufacture date of the car is 4/07. (My other clue that this is the wrong system is the cassette deck, which was unexpected, but the dealer insisted the system played mp3 CDs.) My ideal outcome is to have Audi to switch out the stereo since what they gave us is not what was advertised, what we asked for, or what we paid for.

Anyone have any similar experiences (with any option) or a sense of Audi's willingness to change out an option (at their cost) that was wrong (and would that vary by dealer)? Or am I doing something wrong with the mp3 CDs? Are there only one or two magical brands that work? Do these CD not work in all the slots? Am I crazy to think that mp3 CD capability was a real option for the Audio package for this car?

The salesman's first response when I contacted him was to say that this was out of his depth and gave us a service manager's contact info to follow-up and I plan to call in the next day or two, but I want to know how high to set my hopes.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2007, 01:51 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Problem with Symphony and MP3 CDs

ORIGINAL: soccerbear

Just bought a 2007 A3 2.0 T DSG - Lava Gray/Black, Premium, Audio Package, Open Sky, Technology - on Sunday here in the SF Bay Area and I am in general enjoying my first Audi very much.

The problem I'm having is with the "Audio Symphony" system. According to the Audi website, the 6 disc CD player has "mp3 reading capability". And yet the CD system does not seem to play these CDs. We've tried 3 different brands of mp3 CDs. We've tried the songs in folders, we've tried the songs not in folders. We've tried finalizing the session, not finalizing, burning disk-at-once, track-at-once. Nothing.

I suspect that they put the wrong version - an older version - of the Audi Symphony system in the car since I recall reading on some forum in trying to understand this problem that maybe mid-production Audi changed this stereo to have mp3 CD capability. If this is the problem, it surprises me given that the manufacture date of the car is 4/07. (My other clue that this is the wrong system is the cassette deck, which was unexpected, but the dealer insisted the system played mp3 CDs.) My ideal outcome is to have Audi to switch out the stereo since what they gave us is not what was advertised, what we asked for, or what we paid for.

Anyone have any similar experiences (with any option) or a sense of Audi's willingness to change out an option (at their cost) that was wrong (and would that vary by dealer)? Or am I doing something wrong with the mp3 CDs? Are there only one or two magical brands that work? Do these CD not work in all the slots? Am I crazy to think that mp3 CD capability was a real option for the Audio package for this car?

The salesman's first response when I contacted him was to say that this was out of his depth and gave us a service manager's contact info to follow-up and I plan to call in the next day or two, but I want to know how high to set my hopes.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Welcome soccerbear! Several of us bought the audio option which we thought included mp3 CD capability per Audi sales staff that said that was one of the improvements for 2007 models. But then they included the cassette based Symphony II radio with 6 disk CD changer, which I too have tried a few times to see if it would play MP3 using different methods. When you check the radio/cd changer manual it has no mention of MP3's. First question is did the window sticker just mention "In-Dash 6-Disk CD Changer"? I bet the words MP3 are not on that sheet. Still its worth following up with the dealer to see if this MP3 playing ability is possible.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:11 AM

Thanks JohnS1 -

It didn't say MP3 on the sticker (I wish it did - then I would have a pretty airtight argument!). I'm definitely going to follow up - it can't hurt to ask, esp. when everything they publicly say states that it's the case. It's just an unfortunate mark on an otherwise pleasant experience.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

I kept trying to get this radio in my s-line and they supposedly couldn't do it. The whole reason I wanted it was beacuse the audi usa website said that the radio has MP3 reading capability. I had an '07 A4 as a loaner with this radio and it did play MP3 CDs.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

I was just so pleased to get the car that I did not check whether it said MP3 or not since the day beforeI too checked the website and it said MP3 so I thought I was home free. Assuming can only lead you to errors... As always, check and double check... Then you may want to check again just to be on the safe side.

Fool me once! Shame on you AudiUSA...

PS: I still love my car, I just bring more CDs...

Old 06-15-2007, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: converted

I kept trying to get this radio in my s-line and they supposedly couldn't do it. The whole reason I wanted it was beacuse the audi usa website said that the radio has MP3 reading capability. I had an '07 A4 as a loaner with this radio and it did play MP3 CDs.
Right the non-cassette symphony II + radio which now comes standard in 2008 TT and 2007 A4 will play MP3's, where as we A3's continue to get the cassette symphony II radio? Still have to wonder why Audi USA continues to not correct their website and educate their sales staff about this subject. I wonder why if you are custom ordering a s-line why they couldn't have provided this updated radio?

Old 06-15-2007, 12:36 PM

[sm=bs.gif]

Old 06-15-2007, 01:10 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef
[sm=bs.gif]
Ok was this a educated guess, professional opinion or a blatent ad for your noob topic chef?
Haha! I was going to say you were waving your blarney stone flag!
Cheers!

Old 06-15-2007, 01:40 PM

A small contribution: I asked two Colorado dealerships about the Symphony II vs. Symphony II+, and neither had any idea what I was talking about. The first salesman didn't even know what an mp3 is. The second dealer even went so far as to say that Audi doesn't tell them about things like that--all they know is we get a "Symphony" stereo, but they aren't told anything about II vs. II+ (or III).

I hope the '08 A3s have II+s in them (can play mp3s), but I ordered one sight unseen, and I'm not holding my breath.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:20 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: JohnS1

ORIGINAL: converted

Right the non-cassette symphony II + radio which now comes standard in 2008 TT and 2007 A4 will play MP3's, where as we A3's continue to get the cassette symphony II radio? Still have to wonder why Audi USA continues to not correct their website and educate their sales staff about this subject. I wonder why if you are custom ordering a s-line why they couldn't have provided this updated radio?
I didn't order mine, but I was trying to get them to order me the radio so I could put it in. After looking at a couple of pictures it is more involved than just replacing the radio. I got them to give me the Ipod "integration" for free instead.

Quick Reply: Problem with Symphony and MP3 CDs