Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Question on your a3

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Default Question on your a3

So I am thinking about trading in the TT and the A6 and just having a a3, kinda like if the a6 and tt did its baby would look like an a3. Any ways I have searched the faq and I am really interested. I have a couple quick questions for you guys.

1. How much difference in weight between the open sky and normal.

2. Bose or non bose. I can hook up a complete stereo system myself.

3. I am thinking Revo tune and get a intake along with apr exhaust. Any other suggestions.

I am looking at a 6 speed-Sline-xenon-leather other than that I am up for what ever, l love the open sky look though.

Thanks

Mac

Old 01-22-2008, 01:18 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Question on your a3

1) There is some marginal difference between weight and rigidity of Open Sky vs. solid. Probably better to see if the difference of 1-1.5 inches of headroom bothers you or not. I didn't want/need Open Sky but it was what was available. Overall, I like it...though tinting it was a necessity.

2) Sound system upgrade = waste of $. It may have changed for '08 but the Bose system in my '07 is unimpressive.

3) Maybe suspension upgrades? Dunno, mine's still stock.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:42 PM

I love the open sky, it looks so nice.
the headroom might be an issue. i'm 6'3" and i only have 2 inches of clearance or so in the front. in the back seat i reall cant sit up straight.
other than that it's a great car. i have the stock stereo and some friends complimented me on the sound

Old 01-22-2008, 02:00 PM
1st Gear

My impression is that the A3 could accurately be described as "the practical version of a TT." They have the same engines, transmissions, similar suspension and interiors. Unfortunately there is a little de-contenting with the A3 (seats not quite as nice), and the unfortunate marketing perception that hatchback=cheap car.

Here's a good thread about common A3 issues:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3366758

1.I've heard estimates as high as 200 lbs for Open Sky, but nothing 'official.' I'd guess about half that. I like mine - no tint, butI live where it's grey skies for half of the year, so the extra light is nice.

2. I agree that Bose isn't worth the extra $ - from an Audi salesman. My CPO A3 has it, but I wouldn't have picked it if given a choice.

3. The S-Line/Sports suspension handles well, but has a reputation for stiff ride. Everyone that has Koni FSD's seems to love them (with OEM Sport springs). Just ordered a set, so I'll know soon.

Also great recommendations for either Neuspeed or H&R rear sway bars. Here's a good comparison:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...ostid=34932159

I purchased a VAG-COM cable and software - great investment and fabulous tool! You might already know about it from your experience with other Audis.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:31 PM
1st Gear

My 2¢ on the Open Sky: I wouldn't get it. I live in sunny Southern California and during the Summer, it's brutal! I haven't tinted the glass because my tint guy said he wouldn't do it (for some glass expanding in temperature reason) and the translucent shade is kind of a joke. My guess is that the Open Sky adds about 100-150 lbs to the roof which would make the car more top heavy resulting in more body roll during turns.

I have the stock Concert II stereo and it sounds good. It sucks that it doesn't play MP3 cd's (how and any cd player made post 2005 not play MP3's?!) and figuring out how to hook up and ipod takes some work.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: IzzyA3

My 2¢ on the Open Sky: I wouldn't get it. I live in sunny Southern California and during the Summer, it's brutal! I haven't tinted the glass because my tint guy said he wouldn't do it (for some glass expanding in temperature reason) and the translucent shade is kind of a joke. My guess is that the Open Sky adds about 100-150 lbs to the roof which would make the car more top heavy resulting in more body roll during turns.

I have the stock Concert II stereo and it sounds good. It sucks that it doesn't play MP3 cd's (how and any cd player made post 2005 not play MP3's?!) and figuring out how to hook up and ipod takes some work.
Maybe I'm missing something, but whenever I configure an A3 on the Audiusa.com web site, it ties the Cold Weather Package to the Open Sky system. Living in New Hamster as we do, there ain't no way I'm ordering a car without the CWP, and that means that I also need to buy the Open Sky system for $1,100. Annoying.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:35 PM

So I am sold I think I am going to go up and buy one for stasis. Really they do everything up front it is dealer warrenteed and I don't have to worry about it and it would be brand new.

Clicky for Touring and Championship

Old 01-22-2008, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

Well, Then you just made the right desicion. If I would have still lived in Cali when I got my A3 thats exactly were I would have gone. Can't beat a dealer that does all the fun stuff for you so its under warranty. You deffinatly won't be disapointed.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

How does the Stasis and manufacturer warranty work? The Stasis mods are waranteed thru the authorized dealer that does the install I assume under their own terms. But does this have any effect on the rest of the manufacturer warranty? I’m worried Audi of America would deny warranty work due to the mods even if they aren’t related to the mods.
I live pretty close to Infineon and the dealer I bought my VW from (Sonnen) is also an Audi dealer and they sponsor Stasis in the Speed World Challenge, so I’m guessing they are on the Stasis dealer list. At any rate I’ll be in the market for an A3 in a few months and have often thought how cool it would be to get some upgrade work done by Stasis[8D]

Old 01-23-2008, 01:32 PM

Hey the only authorized dealer is Stevens creek in San Jose. It is warrenteed through audi per the contract Stasis signed with them giving stasis exclusivity, probably in return for some racing technology. I am head to stevens creek on Sunday. Unfortunatly you have to buy the car new to get those kind of upgrades, my dad runs a dealership so I know I could get the audi cheaper through them. Not sure why sonnen doesn't do it, my expierence there was the worst ever.

Quick Reply: Question on your a3