Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Repairing scratches

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 05:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Repairing scratches

Hi All,

On my black A3, are sections with visible swirls and even some horizontal scratches. They are not deep but bad enough to dull the finish. Short of having the car professionally detailed with unknown results, is there a process or procedure or a product that I could first try to hide them sufficiently or even fix or repair themso the finish will not have a dull look in those areas.

Any information or suggestions you can provide would be appreciated.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Repairing scratches

ORIGINAL: Threeputt

Hi All,

On my black A3, are sections with visible swirls and even some horizontal scratches. They are not deep but bad enough to dull the finish. Short of having the car professionally detailed with unknown results, is there a process or procedure or a product that I could first try to hide them sufficiently or even fix or repair themso the finish will not have a dull look in those areas.

Any information or suggestions you can provide would be appreciated.
How about a small bottle of Audi touch up paint for your color, that with a sharp toothpick to apply it with.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. I am talking about a lot of scratches. Some are like the spider web variety and others are asI mentioned before. I wish they were just isolated ones which could be fixed as you suggested, but unfortunately they are not. Theyare all good reasons never to go through a car wash as I am sure that's the reason for their appearance.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

what about T-cut?

Old 02-13-2007, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Threeputt

Thanks for the reply. I am talking about a lot of scratches. Some are like the spider web variety and others are asI mentioned before. I wish they were just isolated ones which could be fixed as you suggested, but unfortunately they are not. Theyare all good reasons never to go through a car wash as I am sure that's the reason for their appearance.
Aggggghhhhh! A car wash! [sm=badidea.gif]
I'd check with a professional detail shop on what your car would require. If the scratch is not deep and is still black then you can buff that out. Otherwise some minor paint touchup is required.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem on a black A4. Have to buff em out. It's the only way. If the scraches are just surface scratches the car should be good as new for a few hundred bones.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:45 AM
1st Gear

SUMZAUDI, what is a T-cut?

Old 02-14-2007, 12:53 AM

I use products by Zaino. Check out their web site. Sounds likeZ-5 and then wax action to me.

http://www.zainostore.com/

sK

Old 02-14-2007, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

HD Cleanse by Zymol also works great for removing minor scratches. The other thing I use are the compounds that Griot's Garage sells. They have 3 or 4 different compounds depending on how bad the scratches are. They work very well paired with their orbital and foam pads, and it is nearly impossible to burn your paint...even for the guy who has never used a buffer before!

Old 02-14-2007, 03:00 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all your suggestions. Looks like I have a bit of work to do but it will be worth it. Thanks again, all.

Quick Reply: Repairing scratches