Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Revo SPS Select

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Revo SPS Select

Can anyone offer any "down sides" to the Revo SPS select? Is this modification potentially damaging to the engine (in anyones opinion)? Is there any way for the dealership to tell you have used it if you restore the factory settings?

These may be silly questions but I'm trying to see if there is any reason not to do this tomorrow?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 11-30-2007, 01:12 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Revo SPS Select

Any chip tune is potentially damaging to the engine, but I'm sure you know that. I'm still stock, but I've done a great deal of reading on the different tunes. There is a guy over on Fourtitude/VWvortex that had both the Revo tune and the APR tune. He logged each one with Vag-Com. Basically it showed that Revo pushes the engine a little harder to achieve a bit more power. The Revo tune made about 2 psi more of boost than APR, but it also caused the ECU to pull timing like crazy. Now of course it different strokes for different folks, but I am willing to sacrifice the extra 10hp or so for what is probably better reliability.

Does your dealer offer the option to do the 24 hour trial? I really wouldn't rush into chipping if you're not completely sure it's what you want. If you decide next week or in a month that maybe Revo wasn't the best option for you, you can switch but you basically just threw away $500+ I'm not saying don't get it chipped and I'm not tryng to sway your brand preference, all I'm saying is this is something you're probably gonna live with for the life of your car. Why jump in head first if you're unsure?

Technically, yes, there are traces that the dealer can look for to see if you're chipped. Someone posted that they had heard Audi was sending around a bulletin to all of the service departments on how to determine if a car is chipped. I haven't heard any other mention of it though, nor have I heard of anyone actually running afoul of their dealer because of a tune.

Check out Chef's n00b thread at the top of the forum, there has been plenty of chip discussion. Take 15-20 and read through the discussion before you go get it done.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

I've looked around and haven't seen much posting on the numerical increase in HP this offers. Does anyone have some estimates as to how much you'd gain with a Revo SPS Select?

Old 11-30-2007, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: BAMF

...Now of course it different strokes for different folks, but I am willing to sacrifice the extra 10hp or so for what is probably better reliability.

agreed. I'd rather have a moderate gain, then an outrageous gain with potential harm to the motor. its like "how much is hp really worth, if its reducing the lifespan of the turbo/motor?" Better safe then sorry. And, a gain isa gain. Different tuners will vary give or take 10-15hp. In my eyes, thats quite ok with me.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:03 AM
1st Gear

10 to 15? I mean that's noticeable but is it worth potentially damaging the engine?

Old 12-01-2007, 02:01 AM
2nd Gear

According to their own figures:

Revo - 260 hp / 299 tq
APR - 252 hp / 303 tq

Old 12-01-2007, 11:32 AM

I personally think both tunes are quite close to each other. I have the SPS device and it switches tunes very very quickly. Not much different than the APR cruise stock option.

Personally, Idon't think one tunewill more seriously jeopardize the engine, opposed to the other. How often do you have your car at maximum boost, demanding everything of the engine, and for how long???

I wouldn't worry a lot.

Cheers!

Old 12-01-2007, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

Does anyone know if the new SPS select allows you to restore the exact factory settings (perhaps by downloading them from your ECU first)? I seemed to think I read that somewhere.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

One last question. The SPS switch is in addition to the original update which has to be done by an authorized dealer? There is no user implementable ECU upgrades? Sounds like a dumb question but there isn't a revo dealer within 100 miles of my area.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:15 PM

First, no the REVO factory settings are NOT your original settings, but what they approximate to be stock performance, which is very close.

Second, you are correct that the REVO dealer needs to install the initial software, then you can control which mode via the SPS. There are no do it yourself chips for our cars since it's flashed through our OBDII ports with their software.

You'll really enjoy whichever chip tune you decide. They are all very close and the boost in performance will keep you grinning all day long.

Cheers!