Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

RNS-E Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:50 PM
1st Gear
Default RNS-E Navigation

Hey fellas please help out this poor old NUBIE where to buy a RNS-E nav, and all the accessories i will need.I really don't want to purchase off ebay, I'd rather buy from a dealer i can trust. One who will also be more than willing to answer all my technical questions, and not just take my money for the sale. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, the cheapest deal is not always the smartest.

BTW who is the mfg. of these units?

Old 10-24-2007, 03:41 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: RNS-E

Not sure where you can get it. I'm sure the dealer can order it, if you don't mind paying far out the ****! I assume you have the single-DIN head unit now? If so, you can get the double-DIN cage (which is necessary for nav) from www.vagparts.com - I've ordered from them before. Service is great, but expect the shipping to take a bit if you're in the states, they are located in the UK.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 PM
1st Gear

I alreadyhave double din, so i'm cool there. After doing further research last night, Ifound out that the people to buy from are the oneson ebay. I just have to make sure i complete my homework first, and make sure I research the seller before buying.

One of my main issues with not dealing with a store/dealer, it's hard to get definitive answers from these guys to questionssuch as:
[ul][*]with the RNS-E,will Igain the full OEM BT abilityifI did not purchase the BT option when the car was purchased?[*]i understand I will need a BT kit, what does that consist of? (i.e. is that the OEM phone accessory or is that some form of additional module with mic?)[*]willI retainmymultifuntion steering wheel controlfor the radiosound and channel change along with answering calls?[*]why do I need a separate GPS antenna when the current one on the car is a shark fin, isn't that the same one that would have been used if I purchased navigation with the car? Or is it just a cable issue carrying the GPS signal?[*]I have a Sirius satellite module, any functionality issues?[/ul]
It may seem like I'm being picky, but these are the type things that a person would have wished they known prior to going down this road if they don't get everything they were looking for after the fact.

cheers

Old 10-24-2007, 10:15 PM
2nd Gear

I found a couple write-ups that may help. Both of them detail the process of converting from single-DIN to double-DIN, but the rest of the info may be useful to you. For the record, both of them say you need a seperate GPS antenna.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=2717253 - This one also details how to add Bluetooth at the same time. Should be helpful.

http://www.harddrive.plus.com/Docume...%20in%20A3.pdf - PDF link. This one is a bit more technically-oriented.

Found both of these on http://www.audidiy.com/a3.html, they have quite a bit of good info. If you've never seen the site before, you may want to bookmark it for future projects and mod ideas.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know how it turns out.