Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Rubbing noise from front window seals

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Rubbing noise from front window seals

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster... it's finally time to ask for help since I didn't find one post on this problem...

Our 2006 A3 (29k miles) has suddenly started emitting sounds from the front window rubber seals. It's a frequent low-tone rubbing sound, short like a chirp, but it sounds low and dull, not shrill. It's on both (front) sides of the car when the windows are closed, and it goes away as soon as you open the windows even a crack (which is why I suspect the rubber seals that the windows close against).

I think the rubber seals are drying with age, and the flexing of the chassis is moving the windows around ever so slightly, creating this sound.

I haven't tried anything to fix it yet - my first-line weapon will be a can of silicone lubricant spray, but I didn't want to do anything before I checked the forums.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Old 06-18-2007, 12:19 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Rubbing noise from front window seals

I am experiencingwhat may be the same thing. Well, maybe. Mine is a slight plasticky rattle/tapping noise that comes with every slight disturbance on the road. I roll them down even 1/8" and it goes away. However, I am pretty sure the source is in the door itself, as the sound does not go away by putting pressure on the glass with my elbow.

I thought it was my Open Sky (lee my ranting thread) at first, but as it became more constant I was able to narrow it down. My car only has 6,000 miles though [:@]

Old 06-18-2007, 02:54 PM

The best product is from a BMW dealership and it's called Gummifledge. Apply it to the door seals and all of your problems go away.

You're welcome.

Cheers!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:02 PM
1st Gear

It comes back though Chef.

VehiGAZ, this is a known problem. Search some of the UK Audi forums and you'll see what I mean.

My car is going in to the dealer tomorrow for one or two warranty items. The squeaking is one of the things I want to see about getting fixed. Hold on and I'll post back Thursday night with the outcome.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:13 PM

Argh!

Hope it's not contagious.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Rich! Good luck at the dealer!

Which Audi UK forums, by the way? Google gave me about five of them.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:59 AM
1st Gear

Try www.audi-sport.net and www.tyresmoke.net

Old 06-20-2007, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

Same rattling/tapping sound as drum noted. Took it to dealership and sure enough "cannot duplicate problem". I think something may have come loose within the door panel itself, probably some wiring or something. I'm tired of dealing with the incompetent service dept. at my Audi dealership (yes, that's you Audi of Santa Monica). I just figured I'll try to tone it out, hoping someone else will finally get a TSB for it.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:32 AM
1st Gear

MYH8for405 - Are you aware of the loose fuel line issue? Could be your tapping sound. There's info on this forum about it.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

Update on my rattling/tapping situation. Since I haven't considered my noises to sounds like rubber shifting and nothing was found loose beneath the interior panel, I thought maybe the problem is with the window regulator (i.e., take it to the dealer 100 timesb/c no DIY fix). But finally while the door was misbehaving I pressed outward against the top of the door frame and it quieted down.

I called around the Bimmer dealerships for Gummi Pflege...turns out BMW has discontinued supplying area dealers with the stuff and nowprovides Wurth rubber/plastic conditioning gel. Went home and applied on all the door seals per instructions provided on theAudi-sport UK forum. Took her for a spin in my hood and still noisy. Went over the seals again (most heavily at the top of the door), rolled down the window and spread that stuff everywhere possible....even jammed it into the corners of the window housing with my fingers. Also per the Audi-Sport forum I kept the window down, leaned against the door from the outside and tugged the top of thewindow frame outward a couple of times. I then had my bandmates coming over for practice, so I did not drive anywhere for the rest of the evneing.

This morning, I went to work and the door was completely quiet! Between nudging the window frame outward, conditioning the door seals and conditioning the window seals, I'm not sure what did the trick. And for all I know the noises could start up again tomorrow. But something is working, even if temporary.

Quick Reply: Rubbing noise from front window seals