Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

S Line spring Install

Old 05-25-2008, 01:16 PM
1st Gear
Default S Line spring Install

I'm just going to start this thread now and update it as I go.

Thanks to A3 Yuppie I've taken his old S-line springs (he put on the Euro Springs) and begun the install on my premium suspension setup. He had a 2006 S-line w/out open sky. I've got a 2007 premium with open sky (which adds some weight).

I started yesterday morning by swapping out the rear springs, which was a super easy switch (pics and install to follow). The drop was perfect and there is a definite improvement in stiffness. I got stuck yesterday when I started working on the front struts. It looks as though I need to drop the front rotor/drive assembly down to remove the whole strut. Where I got stuck was the fact that Audi in all their wonderful German intelligence decided to use a sweet combination of metric tools/fittings. I had most of it (torx/metric/etc), but when I got to the actual housing that connects the bottom of the strut to the assembly it's clamped in with a 12 point (seems to be 14MM) star socket (i think it's referred to as 4 sided), which apparently is a RARE part. Auto Zone, Napa, Osh, Home Depot, Pep boys does NOT carry it. They have it up to a 12 mm but that won't work for this application.

I have a buddy who is a snap-on rep who can get it easily, but it's left me with a swapped set on the rear and the stock set on the front (ridin dirty). If anyone knows something I don't here - please do inform! Otherwise I'll have the tool by the end of this week and will be able to finish up next weekend.

More to come....

Old 05-27-2008, 04:56 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: S Line spring Install

So that's what "riding dirty" means. Sorry, I don't have this tool, so good luck.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 AM
1st Gear

When I had my fronts swapped, I don't recall having to use the tool you mentioned (M14 12-point triple square). What we did was drop the front struts from the shock tower. See these instructions: http://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/83063.phtml

Old 05-29-2008, 10:13 AM
1st Gear

Krazyboi,

Thanks for the advice. Triple square - that's what it's called.

I looked at the install pics from the audiworld forum and the triple square is used on the third install pic. I was able to remove the plastic top peice and the three bolts as well as the little silver control arm. However the bolt at the bottom of the shock tower uses an 18mm nut with an internal bolt that has the triple square fitting. I was able to loosen the 18mm nut but it now spins freely with the triple square internal piece. So in order to remove the shock from that fitting, per the instructions in that install i will need to completely remove that nut/bolt combo.

If i'm missing something feel free to let me know. I have a friend at snap on who's ordered the tool and is going to just let me use it. This has also left me in a pickle, because i've loosened the 18mm bolt but am not able to tighten it back because it's just spinning now. [&:] doh. Good thing I work from home.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

What year is yours by the way? Maybe they changed the setup? My snap on rep said this triple square is somewhat new and more and more European auto makers are using it....? I have an 07?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:42 PM
1st Gear

So it's all said and done. Pics to come.

It turns out I did need that triple square tool to get the strut out. It was a bear of a job, but once it's all said and done i'm glad I did it. Gave me a much better understanding of the suspension set up. It also dropped the ride the perfect amount, as well as firmed it up. The front still rides higher, but I think that's the norm with the typical S line suspension. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the results.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:32 AM

Congratulations on a successful install. From the sounds of it, with the right tools, the job is not overly difficult. I'm hoping to DIY too - but I want to buy a house first - for the garage! Thanks for posting.

btw, Did you need two sizes of triple square, or just the one M14? Any other sizes?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

Grover, sorry for not responding sooner, but glad you got the install done! I don't check this forum often enough. BTW, I have a '06 3.2.

LedZepfoot...save your time and just pick up this kit: http://autodax.com/catalog/pdetail.php?prdid=44 Its a decent price and you will pretty much have all the triple squares you need.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

ARGHHH. That kit is perfect! I paid that for just the one triple square. Granted it's a long tip, but still.

Ledzepfoot, like krazyboi said, that's all you'll really need. Just have a good set of metric and standard sockets with a sturdy 1/2 drive and some torx bits. Also, take a peek at the forum krazyboi sent. It gives the general idea, and just be patient with those front struts (WD40 will seriously help here, as well as a heavy metal mallet). I had to use a spring compressor on the front struts, because I was just swapping the springs, so an impact wrench came in handy with the compression. Let me know if you run into trouble and have any questions.

I'll post some pics once I get the ride washed.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: grover

The front still rides higher, but I think that's the norm with the typical S line suspension.
My Euro-spec S-Line springs are that way too, although the difference between the front and the rear gaps is less than that on the US-spec S-Line springs. I think that's justthe way the suspension is setup for almost all FWD cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S Line spring Install