AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   S-Line vs. Standard 2.0T (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/s-line-vs-standard-2-0t-95013/)

jzee25 03-14-2008 10:51 AM

S-Line vs. Standard 2.0T

Hello,

I just got a 2007 A3 S-Line, what is the main difference between that and the standard 2.0T? I'm aware of the badges, seats, and other cosmetics, but what about suspension, etc.?

Thanks,
Josh

shipo 03-14-2008 11:38 AM

RE: S-Line vs. Standard 2.0T

Per the AudiUsa web site:

S line package:
[ul][*]Sport suspension[*]17" five-arm quattro® GmbH cast alloy wheels and all-season tires[*]S line sport exterior upgrade
[ul][*]Front grille and rear side molding with S line badge[*]Aluminum interior door sills with S line logo[*]S line front and rear bumpers[/ul][*]Roof spoiler[*]Air vents[*]Inlays in alloy[*]Brushed aluminum trim[*]Front fog lights[*]Three-arm multifunction, leather steering wheel (with alloy paddles for S tronic transmission)[*]Leather seating surfaces[*]Sport Seats[*]Power driver seat with four-way power lumbar[*]Storage Package[*]Illumination Package
[ul][*]Illuminated vanity mirrors[*]Driver and passenger reading lights[*]Lighted open door[/ul][/ul]
The above list is for the 2008 model which included for the first time the power seats, however, I think everything else is correct.

I hope this helps.

jzee25 03-14-2008 11:52 AM

Thanks. I was thrown off because I don't have a power seat, but it makes sense because I have the 2007.

graviton 03-14-2008 07:39 PM

The S Line is not worth what the money. You get some stickers and cosmetic changes and thats it. S line should give you a highly tuned engine with great suspension.

Woodhead2k 03-14-2008 07:55 PM

The reason I'm getting the sport package is for the seats and suspension. ^^ I think its worth the extra $$ personally but thats just me. Sure I'm going to get some better coilovers but that will be some time after buying the car.

shipo 03-14-2008 11:47 PM

ORIGINAL: graviton

The S Line is not worth what the money. You get some stickers and cosmetic changes and thats it. S line should give you a highly tuned engine with great suspension.
I really don't understand that comment. I believe that the $2,500 that the S-Line package costs is money well spent.

4RINGSROD 03-15-2008 12:38 AM

I'm with Shipo, but mine is a 06 and the s-line package didn't give you bages or front air dam spoiler. You did get the rear hatch spoiler and the sport seats and suspension as well as the fog lights but what package doesn't come with those? I would kill for a S type seats that are in S4's or the S3's that would realy be nice. and since I'm wishing here a 2.0T with quattro or a 2.0TDI with quatrro.

efdrei 03-23-2008 03:10 PM

I'm also in the same decision point. Almost sure I'll go with the s-line package, but I want to test drive one with the package to compare the suspension feel.

Can some of you guys that have driven the normal and sport suspension 2008 A3 comment on the main differences?

Thanks!

PS. I currently own a Jetta '05 TDI GLS with so called sport tuned suspension but in general I think it just made the steering stiffer...

Chef 03-23-2008 06:51 PM

Are you selling the TDI? I might be interested if you're planning on trading it in. I had a 2002 Jetta TDI which I sold after I bought the A3. It definitely has the same big torque feel and tick of the TDI, but with a lot more horsepower.

BTW, I changed my suspension at 60k miles and the struts just fell and had zero life left. POS suspension IMO.

Cheers!

TPE_A3 03-23-2008 09:17 PM

The packages are so confusing.

I just looked over Shipo's list, and my car, which is not S-Line, but is Euro-spec TDI has the entire package except:
the badges, the wheels (different rims, but still 17inch), the bumpers, and the rear spoiler. The interior brushed aluminum inlays are the same, both my drivers and passenger seats are power, and I ordered one without the leather seats (Open Sky, 40degrees, leather...can't imagine! But the cloth seats were no cheaper...go figure.)

It's interesting to see how a company localizes its cars to a huge market like the States. But I'm wondering, with globalization (ie we can all compare the specs and prices of our cars online) and new markets (i.e. Audi sold 100 000 cars in China in 2007...soon eclipsing the US market) if Audi will go to a more consistent international branding strategy. I have also always wondered if S-line diminishes the brand value of the "s" cars because some people may confuse the two. Having said all that, Audi in Taiwan does sell the A4 in S-line, but not the A3. ODD!

shipo 03-23-2008 10:06 PM

Based upon my snooping around our local dealership, I've noticed that there are three different seats (not just seating surfaces, the actual seats themselves) that can be had in an A3 here in the States. Can you figure out via the attached pictures (at least I hope they're attached, I've not yet attached any photos in this forum) which version of the seat that your TDI has?

Cloth seats:
[IMG]local://upfiles/13672/E32124B554C14C8091CC1261EEF5F1CF.jpg[/IMG]

Premium package Power/Leather seats:
[IMG]local://upfiles/13672/342944314CC64BE49116903E9E21CEAA.jpg[/IMG]

S-Line package Power/Leather seats:
[IMG]local://upfiles/13672/844CFC2E038A4FF48B9BF92ED9819B95.jpg[/IMG]

TPE_A3 03-23-2008 10:23 PM

Hi Shipo,

Wow, mine are Sline seats, but they do not have the badge. Also, as noted, mine are cloth. But the bolster height and the thick edge around the top is identical. The material for the center portion of the seats in my car looks identical to the material in the cloth seat picture, just mine are a much darker black/grey combination. Seems like my car is some sort of S-line mutant combination! hahah

shipo 03-23-2008 10:56 PM

Wow, well that's pretty interesting. Sport seats without leather. Hmmm, sounds kind of like a Euro package setup. :)

Regarding the comment about dark leather seats and the open sky system on 40+ C days, hmmm, yeah I suppose I might have a problem with that as well, which in my case would mean dumping the roof and not the leather. Of course, since the town I live in has never reached 40 C in its recorded history, I don't think I have too much to worry about. [8D]

I'm thinking a Lava Gray 2.0T S-line, 6-Speed manual, with black leather, Cold Weather, Convenience, iPod (maybe), Xenons, Bluetooth, and Open Sky. Given our weather around here, I'm betting that the seats will be uncomfortable for roughly two weeks per year, of course all things are relative, I mean, geez, we had a nice sunny day with a high of 5 C today and we were all outside wearing shorts. [8D] Of course I don't have to tell you about thatseeing as howyou spent lots of time in Canada.

TPE_A3 03-23-2008 11:12 PM

Hi Shipo,

Sounds like an awesome are thinking about! I LOVE the Open Sky, wouldn't buy the car without it. I had a loaner car without it for two days and it just didn't feel/look the same at all. The only thing I regret was not getting the xenons on my car. Now, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to install Hella HIDs with the projectors, moveable (automatically adjust up/down depending on weight of car to reduce glare and cornering feature). It's going to cost me a chunk of change, I shouldn't have been so stubborn. Audi in Taiwan charges almost $2000 for HIDs, compared to what you guys pay in the states I thought it was larceny! The aftermarket solution will cost a bit more, but quality should be comparable from the 2 installations of the system I have seen.

Leather is GREAT...if I move back to Canada...I can go back to having that awesome smell and tactile pleasure each time I get in the car!! As for the shorts...hmm..after 8 years of living in Taipei, I now need a jacket if the temperature is below 18C! hahaha

L7 03-24-2008 07:15 PM

Wait! When did the S-Line models start having power leather seats? The reason I had gone with the premium was because of the power seats. There was no way I was gonna be able to put up with the tilt adjustment on the non-powered version.

shipo 03-24-2008 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: L7

Wait! When did the S-Line models start having power leather seats? The reason I had gone with the premium was because of the power seats. There was no way I was gonna be able to put up with the tilt adjustment on the non-powered version.

Starting with the 2008 models, errr, at least here in the States, I cannot comment about other markets. :D

btkicker 03-24-2008 08:10 PM

s-line was way worth it. I test drove both back to back. s-line won hands down. Better looks, suspension, and much better seats.

BIGWAVEDAVE 03-25-2008 07:47 PM

So if I have an 06 with

ORIGINAL: shipo
[ul][*]Sport suspension[*]Roof spoiler[*]Air vents[*]Inlays in alloy[*]Brushed aluminum trim[*]Front fog lights[*]Three-arm multifunction, leather steering wheel (with alloy paddles for S tronic transmission)[*]Leather seating surfaces[*]Sport Seats[*]Storage Package[*]Illumination Package [ul][*]Illuminated vanity mirrors[*]Driver and passenger reading lights[*]Lighted open door[/ul][/ul]
then I have the S-line? because on my window sticker it just says Sport package.
so there for I can only use things for the s-line? if so thats cool.

EDIT: basically I'm wondering if they didnt have the S-Line in 06, it was just the sport package.

shipo 03-25-2008 09:25 PM

IIRC, the Sport Package from 2006 was replaced by the S-Line option for 2007. While there is a lot of overlap between the two packages, they are not one for one (although most of the differences were cosmetic like pockets for maps and such). Then in 2008 the S-Line package was enhanced to include the Power Seat option with the power 4-way lumbar.

Said another way, yes, you have an S-Line without the badging.

chief 03-25-2008 11:19 PM

Mine is a 2007 Premium Package and my brother-in-law's is a 2007 S-Line. I have driven his a lot, especially after he chipped it ;P
From my experience, there is slight but noticeable difference in the way the S-Line handles. It's a tad stiffer and you definitely feel potholes and overall road surface imperfections more (I live in L.A.). I have kids and family in the back a lot, so even though I do like the look and the seats of the 2008 S-Line better, I am glad that I have the slightly "softer" suspension.
When I bought mine in 2006 the suspension and the power seats were the main reasons to go with the premium package instead of the S-Line.
Back in Germany, where the roads are much smoother, I would have purchased the S-Line for sure.

One last thing, a great feature that does not come with the S-Line are the shopping bag hooks in the trunk (part of the storage package), it sounds ridiculous, but everybody who sees them in use is impressed.

Just my 2c

4RINGSROD 03-26-2008 12:33 AM

Wow so Bigwave and myself then have the enjoyment of the S-line but not the worries of only having some things only avalable for the non s-line cars like smoked turn signals. (Hope I'm right on this?)

TPE_A3 03-26-2008 12:44 AM

My car is a premium/s-line mutt! It has the grocery hooks too....but I never was impressed by them...but today I will go buy a lot of groceries especially to impress myself yet again with my clever choice in cars! hahahaha :)

Being more serious, I think it's a fascinating topic. One would think that the benefits of economy of scale and brand consistency would outweigh tailoring products to a local market....but Audi seems to say tailoring makes sense! I'm just glad they sent me a TDI with everything I need :)

BIGWAVEDAVE 03-26-2008 01:17 AM

ORIGINAL: 4RINGSROD

Wow so Bigwave and myself then have the enjoyment of the S-line but not the worries of only having some things only avalable for the non s-line cars like smoked turn signals. (Hope I'm right on this?)
yeah is this true?
Do we have s-line bumpers or non s-line

I kinda want the black grill and smoked lights.

a3_yuppie 03-26-2008 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Chef

BTW, I changed my suspension at 60k miles and the struts just fell and had zero life left. POS suspension IMO.

But didn't you install aftermarket springs with your OEM Sport shocks before you went to coilovers? That could explain the fast wear.

tiptronic 03-27-2008 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: jzee25

Thanks. I was thrown off because I don't have a power seat, but it makes sense because I have the 2007.
I got a good deal (i think) with my 2007 2.0t non s-line, at least on paper.. It has all the Premium package specs- but also came with driver side power seats with 4-way power lumbar - It is the standard- non sportseats, but n leather. And i got storage (underseats) /illumination package. After i bought the car, i got a great deal from a used (2k miles) Sline suspension for $50, Sline grill for $50 and projection headlamps for 225.00 (currently being modded to add HID and LEDs)
Would i have opted for the S-Line package? Sure! but i couldnt pass up the deal on the Premium pkg i got - (28k) of course now i'm hearing some dealers giving away S-Lines for a littel more than 25k... (maybe lot clearance?)

e

bemor187 03-27-2008 01:56 PM

I really don't understand that comment. I believe that the $2,500 that the S-Line package costs is money well spent.
Well say that you wanted to put aftermarket kit suspension and wheels on it, Yes, it would be a waste of money. You wouldnt be able to put those features on the car aftermarket for that money. so once again this comes down to personal taste.

shipo 03-27-2008 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: bemor187

Well say that you wanted to put aftermarket kit suspension and wheels on it, Yes, it would be a waste of money. You wouldnt be able to put those features on the car aftermarket for that money. so once again this comes down to personal taste.

Uhhh, that's why it's an option. If you don't want it, don't buy it. For folks like me who are disinclined to modify the car but yet want something a bit sportier than the Premium Package model, the $2,500 is an absolute bargain.

BIGWAVEDAVE 03-28-2008 03:53 PM

another question,

what parts of the suspension do they change with the sport package?
just shocks and springs? sway bars? camber settings?

anyone know?

EDIT: reason being is I'm thinking about changing the RSB.

word.

dfrost 03-28-2008 04:09 PM

Springs are shorter (about 0.5 inch?) and stiffer, shocks are stiffer, sway bars are larger in diameter (at both ends?). Don't know about camber or other alignment settings, but I'd doubt there are any differences that aren't caused by the change in ride height.

Some 2.0T Sport buyers have even been apparently lucky enough to get summer performance tires (Dunlop Sport Maxx or Conti Contact Sport Contacts) instead of the infamous Pirelli P6's. Don't know if that is luck of the draw, geographic bias, or buyer-selectable.

shipo 03-28-2008 06:06 PM

For the 2006 model year (and the 2007 as well, I think), summer 17" rubber (fitted to the standard rims)was a user selectable/extra cost option (to the tune of like $300, IIRC). Now for 2008 you either have to opt for the 18" five spoke alloy wheel package ($1,000), or the Titanium Package ($1,500).

shaggny 04-10-2008 01:52 AM

S-line is pretty tight. I've got an '06 3.2, and i can tell you the difference is not cosmetic. Spend the extra $$ and you've got a really nice machine.