Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

S-Line vs. Standard 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:06 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: S-Line vs. Standard 2.0T

Based upon my snooping around our local dealership, I've noticed that there are three different seats (not just seating surfaces, the actual seats themselves) that can be had in an A3 here in the States. Can you figure out via the attached pictures (at least I hope they're attached, I've not yet attached any photos in this forum) which version of the seat that your TDI has?

Cloth seats:
[IMG]local://upfiles/13672/E32124B554C14C8091CC1261EEF5F1CF.jpg[/IMG]

Premium package Power/Leather seats:
[IMG]local://upfiles/13672/342944314CC64BE49116903E9E21CEAA.jpg[/IMG]

S-Line package Power/Leather seats:
[IMG]local://upfiles/13672/844CFC2E038A4FF48B9BF92ED9819B95.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-23-2008, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

Hi Shipo,

Wow, mine are Sline seats, but they do not have the badge. Also, as noted, mine are cloth. But the bolster height and the thick edge around the top is identical. The material for the center portion of the seats in my car looks identical to the material in the cloth seat picture, just mine are a much darker black/grey combination. Seems like my car is some sort of S-line mutant combination! hahah

Old 03-23-2008, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

Wow, well that's pretty interesting. Sport seats without leather. Hmmm, sounds kind of like a Euro package setup.

Regarding the comment about dark leather seats and the open sky system on 40+ C days, hmmm, yeah I suppose I might have a problem with that as well, which in my case would mean dumping the roof and not the leather. Of course, since the town I live in has never reached 40 C in its recorded history, I don't think I have too much to worry about. [8D]

I'm thinking a Lava Gray 2.0T S-line, 6-Speed manual, with black leather, Cold Weather, Convenience, iPod (maybe), Xenons, Bluetooth, and Open Sky. Given our weather around here, I'm betting that the seats will be uncomfortable for roughly two weeks per year, of course all things are relative, I mean, geez, we had a nice sunny day with a high of 5 C today and we were all outside wearing shorts. [8D] Of course I don't have to tell you about thatseeing as howyou spent lots of time in Canada.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:12 PM
1st Gear

Hi Shipo,

Sounds like an awesome are thinking about! I LOVE the Open Sky, wouldn't buy the car without it. I had a loaner car without it for two days and it just didn't feel/look the same at all. The only thing I regret was not getting the xenons on my car. Now, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to install Hella HIDs with the projectors, moveable (automatically adjust up/down depending on weight of car to reduce glare and cornering feature). It's going to cost me a chunk of change, I shouldn't have been so stubborn. Audi in Taiwan charges almost $2000 for HIDs, compared to what you guys pay in the states I thought it was larceny! The aftermarket solution will cost a bit more, but quality should be comparable from the 2 installations of the system I have seen.

Leather is GREAT...if I move back to Canada...I can go back to having that awesome smell and tactile pleasure each time I get in the car!! As for the shorts...hmm..after 8 years of living in Taipei, I now need a jacket if the temperature is below 18C! hahaha

Old 03-24-2008, 07:15 PM
L7
1st Gear

Wait! When did the S-Line models start having power leather seats? The reason I had gone with the premium was because of the power seats. There was no way I was gonna be able to put up with the tilt adjustment on the non-powered version.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: L7

Wait! When did the S-Line models start having power leather seats? The reason I had gone with the premium was because of the power seats. There was no way I was gonna be able to put up with the tilt adjustment on the non-powered version.
Starting with the 2008 models, errr, at least here in the States, I cannot comment about other markets.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

s-line was way worth it. I test drove both back to back. s-line won hands down. Better looks, suspension, and much better seats.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

So if I have an 06 with

ORIGINAL: shipo
[ul][*]Sport suspension[*]Roof spoiler[*]Air vents[*]Inlays in alloy[*]Brushed aluminum trim[*]Front fog lights[*]Three-arm multifunction, leather steering wheel (with alloy paddles for S tronic transmission)[*]Leather seating surfaces[*]Sport Seats[*]Storage Package[*]Illumination Package [ul][*]Illuminated vanity mirrors[*]Driver and passenger reading lights[*]Lighted open door[/ul][/ul]
then I have the S-line? because on my window sticker it just says Sport package.
so there for I can only use things for the s-line? if so thats cool.

EDIT: basically I'm wondering if they didnt have the S-Line in 06, it was just the sport package.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

IIRC, the Sport Package from 2006 was replaced by the S-Line option for 2007. While there is a lot of overlap between the two packages, they are not one for one (although most of the differences were cosmetic like pockets for maps and such). Then in 2008 the S-Line package was enhanced to include the Power Seat option with the power 4-way lumbar.

Said another way, yes, you have an S-Line without the badging.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

Mine is a 2007 Premium Package and my brother-in-law's is a 2007 S-Line. I have driven his a lot, especially after he chipped it ;P
From my experience, there is slight but noticeable difference in the way the S-Line handles. It's a tad stiffer and you definitely feel potholes and overall road surface imperfections more (I live in L.A.). I have kids and family in the back a lot, so even though I do like the look and the seats of the 2008 S-Line better, I am glad that I have the slightly "softer" suspension.
When I bought mine in 2006 the suspension and the power seats were the main reasons to go with the premium package instead of the S-Line.
Back in Germany, where the roads are much smoother, I would have purchased the S-Line for sure.

One last thing, a great feature that does not come with the S-Line are the shopping bag hooks in the trunk (part of the storage package), it sounds ridiculous, but everybody who sees them in use is impressed.

Just my 2c

Quick Reply: S-Line vs. Standard 2.0T